Docking station dual 2560x1600

I feel like this is moreso a factor of the laptop than the docking station. My Dell E7440 works with this docking station, but it also works just by using the DP and HDMI ports straight out of the laptop.

Otherwise, get a USB 3.0 adapter like this one. I also have one of these to use on my aging desktop, and it works great. Don't expect to game on it though.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
You can do 2560x1600 with both types. I use DVI for one and DP for the other. But the HDMI is compatible too, even at 60Hz (I think it needs to be rev. 1.3b or higher - it's 1.4 on my laptop), though you need to sacrifice a bit of color depth.

EDIT: My monitors have all the inputs, so I guess that didn't matter to me. If you're looking for one with two dual link DVI ports, just start by searching your laptop + "docking station" on google. You'll find pretty quick if one exists for your laptop or not. They're usually pretty laptop specific too, btw... if you listed that info we could help you better.

Last edited:
I dont have a laptop yet, was thing of getting a new one and was going to use that as one of the criteria unless its not possible. I really like the new XPS 13

At work I use a Dell E5440 docked to a E-port+ connected to two P2715Q monitors for the use of drafting in AutoCAD, SolidEdge and soon to be doing modeling in Abaquas.

That said, no issues at all running autocad on one screen and solidedge on another... it looks awesome!

It would seem like I would basically be stuck looking at a business grade laptop that has a dock made just for it. I have not seen and usb docks that would work for two monitors like that.

Any of the Dell laptops that use the E series dock should be able to do this You will want the E-Port+ dock that has all the outputs. If you get the lower end dock, it won't have all the outputs you need.

So Dell Latitude or Precision Workstation is the line you would want to look at. You will also want to make sure if you get one with on-die graphics that it supports what you want. Pretty much all the Nvidia or AMD graphics options should support what you want. No sure about the on-die Intel.

Anyone know how often dell runs big sale on the business outlet stuff? Also what do you guys think of your 5440's and your 7440? I have been trying to determine the differences between the 5000 series and 7000 series without much luck.

Back