Dividing up steam folder

2k3eblade

Gawd
I recently installed a SSD which has 120GB of space. This cannot fit my whole steam folder of 150GB. Is there anyway I can put my most used game files on my SSD and the rest on a HD while having steam be able to read each file location?

copy your WHOLE steamapps folder to some sort of external or backup hard drive, THEN, copy the whole thing onto another hard drive on your machine, remove all the games you don't wanna play, then copy the steamapps folder onto your SSD.

you aren't gonna play all 27507202074027402 games in a day, so it just makes sense to keep the few you do play a lot on it, rather than just packing it just cause you can.

Is there a performance hit when you do that? (like 1 extra step in the chain of HD access)

Last edited:
Is there a performance hit when you do that? (like 1 extra step in the chain of HD access)

None that I've seen. I use Steam Mover to create a junction point to my SSD for certain games. At most there might be a few milliseconds delay, but it's not something that you will be able to notice.

Back