Disappointed with my GTX 670 SLI

I pointed out your misinformation. That doesn't make me a shill, it just makes me a level-headed person. Save the defense act for someone who cares.

I can get 120FPS at 1080p, but not 120Hz since my monitor is a 60Hz panel. I have to get rid of MSAA, but with everything else on Ultra/High/Max I average about 120. I would think with GTX 670 SLI he should have the graphical horsepower to to get 120FPS consistently even with MSAA on, so it's most certainly his CPU holding him back.

I assumed you didn't have the display. I was just wondering in general no vsync performance.

Cool though. Glad to hear about the solid 120 with a high end cpu

He's not able to get 120 solid on 64 player servers with ultra mesh quality thats for sure.

He's not able to get 120 solid on 64 player servers with ultra mesh quality thats for sure.
Depending on the map size I can average it. I think to keep my minimums up I would have to move to at least a hyperthreading CPU, and more likely the 3930K or similar 6-core CPU.

Depending on the map size I can average it. I think to keep my minimums up I would have to move to at least a hyperthreading CPU, and more likely the 3930K or similar 6-core CPU.

I was going to get a i5 3570K myself. I had one before but I wanted HT this time.
Found a cheap i7 3770 locally. I overclocked it a bit, not 4.8GHz like a K version would, but 4.2-4.3 is enough for any game.

You don't need a 3930K for gaming.
I rather see you invest in two Nvidia Titan cards and before buying a LGA2011 setup.
Buy a 3770/3770K, sell the 670s which pay for one Titan, and buy the other. 120fps maxed gaming all day long.

I was going to get a i5 3570K myself. I had one before but I wanted HT this time.
Found a cheap i7 3770 locally. I overclocked it a bit, not 4.8GHz like a K version would, but 4.2-4.3 is enough for any game.

You don't need a 3930K for gaming.
I rather see you invest in two Nvidia Titan cards and before buying a LGA2011 setup.
Buy a 3770/3770K, sell the 670s which pay for one Titan, and buy the other. 120fps maxed gaming all day long.
This is exactly what WON'T happen and why we are having the discussion in this thread (you should read it). BF3 multiplayer is incredibly CPU intensive, but thankfully is multi-threaded and shows tremendous gains with up to 6 cores (less so with hyperthreading only, but it's there). The OP is CPU bound until he overclocks higher or gets a better CPU.

This is exactly what WON'T happen and why we are having the discussion in this thread (you should read it). BF3 multiplayer is incredibly CPU intensive, but thankfully is multi-threaded and shows tremendous gains with up to 6 cores (less so with hyperthreading only, but it's there). The OP is CPU bound until he overclocks higher or gets a better CPU.

I still think a 3770/3770K w/HT is enough.
I'd consider more GPU power before buying a 3930K.

Yeah average is np, can go anywhere from 60 to 180. But to maintain a solid 120 90%+ of the time is another story.

BF3 likes 8 threads when running two high end cards. A few people have posted that to get both of their 7970s above 95% usage, they needed to upgrade to a hyper-threaded quad core. My Phenom II X6 is 80-90% on two cores and 70-80% on the other 4. Get a 2600/2700k.

BF3 likes 8 threads when running two high end cards. A few people have posted that to get both of their 7970s above 95% usage, they needed to upgrade to a hyper-threaded quad core. My Phenom II X6 is 80-90% on two cores and 70-80% on the other 4. Get a 2600/2700k.

I would love to see a [H] review of BF3 (and any other >4 thread games) that show performance differences between the different AMD FX models and i3/i5/i7 each with a variety of SLI and Xfire setups.

Would be cool to see how an i3-3240 with Xfire 7870 does vs FX-8350 with SLI 660ti, an i7-3770k with SLI 680 vs an FX-6300 with Xfire 7970, or an FX-4300 with SLI 670 vs i5-3570K with Xfire 7950. Or any other combination of current gen CPU/GPU.

This would definitely help answer what kind of CPU and GPU combinations are capable of what kind of resolutions, settings, and refresh rates/FPS.

Is BF3 a DX9 game? lol That's why I said DX9 games, thank you.

you do realize that DX9 and Multi-threading in games are not mutually exclusive right? EG, the game itself can support multiple CPUs with DX9, the only multi-threaded part of games that is related to DX9 is the draw/render portion.

I believe DX11 support having the "draw" run on 2 cpus vs one, not DX10.

Last edited:
Well I just went out last week and bought a 3570K. I wish I would've read through this post again before I bought it cause I probably would've bought the 3770K instead for the HT. O..well. I have lapped my 3570K and waiting for spring break to do the delid mod. This 1604 bios is buggy as heck on this ROG board. I had it running at 4.5Ghz but my Prime95 temps were pushing 80C and it was not stable at 1.225v and LLC extreme. So adding some more voltage has me a little concerned for a 24/7 OC with these temps. I will post back in April with my stable OC and 670 SLI performance in BF3.

So I went out and dropped a bunch of dough to run BF3. The gear I bought is

Asus Maximus V Formula, BIOS 1604
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD
2x Gigabyte GV-N670OC-2GD GTX 670 2GB SLI
BenQ 24" XL2420T

I overclocked my 2500K to 4.5G and lapped it to help keep temps down. I have not overclocked the video cards yet. But I had to turn everything to medium, 4x AA, no v-sync, AD off in game and it still drops below 100 FPS. So after spending $1,700 and not capped out at 120 FPS non stop, I am not to happy. I thought I would post here so someone else doesn't waste a bunch of cash like I did.

it may not be your system, it may just be bf3.
the game is not well optimized
i have a i7 3930k @ 4.4ghz and three 4gb 680s and will drop to 40fps in bf3.

the game is rarely patched and may not correctly support newer cards.
you should of done a little bit of research because this is a well known problem.

for example, my old two 1gb 460s will perform better then two 4gb 680s in bf3.

The funny thing is, when you find the utilization and therefore the fps dropping, if you drop out of the server and join a new server 90% of the time it seems to fix the problem. BFBC2 did the same thing ironically enough.

The funny thing is, when you find the utilization and therefore the fps dropping, if you drop out of the server and join a new server 90% of the time it seems to fix the problem. BFBC2 did the same thing ironically enough.

agreed, its weird sometimes i will join a game and right off the back i will get close to 99% gpu utilization on all my cards and get good fps.

other times i will join the server and my cards will be at like 40% utilization, i will have to reconnect multiple times.

as i said, its the game not his system.

Back