Diablo 3 Discussion Thread

Just killed Diablo for the first time on Inferno, granted I only had 4 stacks...he Dropped 3-4 rares and that was it. Seriously? No wonder no one ever wastes time on Act 4, it's like the worst act for getting anything(XP or Items).

Just killed Diablo for the first time on Inferno, granted I only had 4 stacks...he Dropped 3-4 rares and that was it. Seriously? No wonder no one ever wastes time on Act 4, it's like the worst act for getting anything(XP or Items).

Wait til you try farming the Infernal Machine recipe in act 4 from the keywarden in Crystal Spire 1. You will go crazy trying to even find 5 elite packs to get 5 stacks.

It was epic when the recipe finally dropped for me though. I was on mp4. The warden was stacked on top of an elite mallet monster thingie pack. I was severely under geared as a monk. I must've died 5 times or so over the course of 20 minutes trying to take down mallets while getting pummeled by the warden.

When he finally died, not only did the recipe drop, but the mallet mobs dropped IK gauntlets, which I turned around for 10 mill, which was a lot for me at the time. I haven't set foot back in act 4 ever since. That place sux for farming.

yeah its not worth it at 5 stacks either. Act 4 is a shit hole.

yeah its not worth it at 5 stacks either. Act 4 is a shit hole.

I got on and played this weekend for the first time since 1.03, and was pleasantly surprised that (after buying a few upgrades) act IV was not only playable on Inferno, but actually was quite easy.

Also, it was FUN! Act IV is a blast to play. The path from the gardens up to diablo is pretty straight and open, with lots of mobs that drop plenty o loot. I thought it much more fun than grinding it out in Act 1/Act 2.

I got on and played this weekend for the first time since 1.03, and was pleasantly surprised that (after buying a few upgrades) act IV was not only playable on Inferno, but actually was quite easy.

Also, it was FUN! Act IV is a blast to play. The path from the gardens up to diablo is pretty straight and open, with lots of mobs that drop plenty o loot. I thought it much more fun than grinding it out in Act 1/Act 2.

Yeah it may be fun every now and then but it has some major flaws that prevent multiple runs.

1 not long enough hard to get 5 stacks quick enough to make it worth it.
2 Monster density
3 hard to see in many points
4 Oppressors
5 no better loot or significant advantage over act 3.

Yeah it may be fun every now and then but it has some major flaws that prevent multiple runs.

1 not long enough hard to get 5 stacks quick enough to make it worth it.
2 Monster density
3 hard to see in many points
4 Oppressors
5 no better loot or significant advantage over act 3.

1) Haven't had an issue yet really
2) Is high yes, but I'm actually arguing that this is a good thing.
3) This is an issue, if I understand correctly what you mean. Monsters are much bigger in act 4 than other acts. My character occasionally disappears within a large mob. Mallet lords I'm thinking of in particular. More of an issue for melee chars though.
4) Don't find them any harder than morlu mages or mallet lords. 1.05 really nerfed inferno a lot.
5) They should fix this. Maybe increase the chances for act 4 monsters to drop recipes or something.

3) This is an issue, if I understand correctly what you mean. Monsters are much bigger in act 4 than other acts. My character occasionally disappears within a large mob. Mallet lords I'm thinking of in particular. More of an issue for melee chars though.
4) Don't find them any harder than morlu mages or mallet lords. 1.05 really nerfed inferno a lot.
5) They should fix this. Maybe increase the chances for act 4 monsters to drop recipes or something.

Actually 2) is that monster density is quite low in Act 4. You don't have too much opportunity to kill much.

1) you can kill way more whites and mobs at 5 stack in act three. You get bonues EXP after you reach 5 stack. So the faster you get to 5 stack and the more you can kill afterwards the better. Act 4 being so short you get less places to farm past 5 stack.

2) Density is too low not too high. Its High in a few places but most of the time there are no monsters.

3) This might just be me but the fire effects, spikes, meteor dude, and overall look of the floor in much of act 4 just annoy me.

1) you can kill way more whites and mobs at 5 stack in act three. You get bonues EXP after you reach 5 stack. So the faster you get to 5 stack and the more you can kill afterwards the better. Act 4 being so short you get less places to farm past 5 stack.

2) Density is too low not too high. Its High in a few places but most of the time there are no monsters.

3) This might just be me but the fire effects, spikes, meteor dude, and overall look of the floor in much of act 4 just annoy me.

Fair enough. I was just surprised how fun it was compared to a few months ago. Will be trying Act 3 more today, so I will see how it compares.

Actually in Act 4 you get 100% XP across the board with all monster kills no matter what difficulty level they are. Not so in Act 3. Now whether that's worth it to strictly farm Act 4 and up your paragon levels as fast as possible is a matter of debate...I prefer gold/magic find myself.

Actually in Act 4 you get 100% XP across the board with all monster kills no matter what difficulty level they are. Not so in Act 3. Now whether that's worth it to strictly farm Act 4 and up your paragon levels as fast as possible is a matter of debate...I prefer gold/magic find myself.

I have never heard anything about this, what is your source?

Last edited:
Fair enough. I was just surprised how fun it was compared to a few months ago. Will be trying Act 3 more today, so I will see how it compares.

You want density and tons of elite packs along the way try Alkaizer's route.

A3 Farming Route
Log out with Q "Kill Azmodan" directly in front of him (Checkpoint). Each run will start directly before Azmodan.

1. Clear Core of Arreat to the WP
2. WP to Tower of the Damned lvl 1, do one circle
3. WP to Arreat Creater lvl 2
4. Teleport to town, WP to Bridge of Korsaikk, clear Fields of Slaughter
5. Teleport to town, WP to Keep Depths lvl 1. Immediately enter Keep Depths lvl 2 and clear it.
6. Teleport to town, Log out, Resume Game

It's the best for xp and item hunting IMO. Not a lot of backtracking, which is good.

I'll find you the link...it was on BattleBlog as I was just Googling it today because I wanted to see what the best farming/XP runs would be to maximize my character...

PS: Here it is...keep in mind this is for Normal through Hell modes so I'm not sure if it applies to Inferno or not? http://diablo3blog.blogspot.com/2012/05/diablo-3-experience-points-explained.html

Doesn't apply in inferno past MP0 act 3. Act 3 in inferno already has all mobs set to level 63. Now turn on MP to level 1 or higher and even act doesn't matter, since every mob regardless of act is not 63. You get 125% per monster in MP0 act 3, or any act with MP1+.

I'll find you the link...it was on BattleBlog as I was just Googling it today because I wanted to see what the best farming/XP runs would be to maximize my character...

PS: Here it is...keep in mind this is for Normal through Hell modes so I'm not sure if it applies to Inferno or not? http://diablo3blog.blogspot.com/2012/05/diablo-3-experience-points-explained.html

That quote has to deal with the actual level of the monster, not the act. Pre-inferno, there is still scaling of monster levels throughout the acts, which is why the min of any of those Act 3 can still be less than act 4. Inferno changes it all.

At MP0 Inferno
Act 1 = level 61 Monsters
Act 2 = level 62 Monsters
Act 3 = level 63 Monsters
Act 4 = level 63 Monsters

At MP1 or more (still inferno)
All acts = level 63 monsters

This applies to effective enemy strength, drop rates, ilvl drop distribution, exp gain, gold drops, etc. This is why inferno is different with MP on, you can choose whatever act you want for "effectively" the same reward. It's not perfectly balanced, as other people pointed out, monster density greatly affects farming efficiency. Other factors, such as monster abilities and how quickly you can cover areas (running into dead ends), can also slow you down.

Most people look down on Act 4 because of its relatively low monster density (lots of wide open areas with no monsters in them) and for how short it is (limiting the time you can farm at 5 stacks).

Having said that, if you find it more enjoyable, more power to ya!

I do all 3 levels of the keep depths, I also do the other outdoor area. I like those places and if you know them there isn't much back tracking.

I just a nice Zuni Boots. Only average Int/Vit but 73 AR.

Edit: Sold for 50m

Last edited:
Another full run of Act 3, that makes 3 in a row that at least 2 legendary or set items dropped per run. This time, stuff is actually worth something. Threw it on the AH, hopefully I'll get some biters for them.

IK helm (454 armor)
212 Str
65 int
12% life
5.5 Crit
6% reduced damge
Socket

Dead Man Legacy
199 Dex
193 Vit
1.28 Hatred Regen
9 Crit
7% Rapid fire crit
Socket

I hit a dry spell for yesterday and today, but I gained 2.5 paragon levels in the process. 43 right now. Possibly 45 tonight if I'm up for it. Found a crappy Frostburn, but when is Frostburn not crappy? Prob have to find 4 more legendaries before something good turns up. That's usually the case for me. I go through 4 or 5 before I find something worth anything.

Another full run of Act 3, that makes 3 in a row that at least 2 legendary or set items dropped per run. This time, stuff is actually worth something. Threw it on the AH, hopefully I'll get some biters for them.

What %MF and MP do you farm with? I do Act 3 MP1 around 200% MF and seem to get one set or legenary every other run.

MP2 I start at 214 MF before valor buffs. It could just be my lucky streak, I'll see as I do more runs this week.

Edit:
Lolwut? This wiz has an effective 3.3million dps vs mp10 azmodan (azmodans's hp divided by kill time)

His paperdoll dps? 736k

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/AudiR8GT-1893/hero/14263528

Besides his second ring, he has a lot of perfect rolls on some stats
6% crit on mempo helm
6% fire 10crit 65critd Tall Rasha ammy
9% IAS on tal Rasha Chest
6% crit on lacuni prowlers
9% IAS inna's pants
9%ias 50%ias witching hour
8% poison Zunimassa boots
9ias 10crit 48critd gloves
Perfect roll damage range 8.5 crit , 6% all element damage on the triumvirate

Not sure, but his rare ring just seems to be very lacking, maybe its just the last piece he needs.
Only 6% crit, 42%critd, and 7% IAS with no main stat.

Last edited:
9% IAS on tal Rasha Chest
6% crit on lacuni prowlers
9% IAS inna's pants
9%ias 50%ias witching hour
8% poison Zunimassa boots
9ias 10crit 48critd gloves
Perfect roll damage range 8.5 crit , 6% all element damage on the triumvirate

Not sure, but his rare ring just seems to be very lacking, maybe its just the last piece he needs.

I thought there was a cap on movement speed? he has 3 12% items.

There is a cap of 25% on movement speed.

The Lacuni Prowlers are still the best in slot item for many builds. It always has movement speed. People usually don't get it for movement speed though. People want it for the increased attack speed on the bracers which is not a modifier other bracers can have. A perfect set up would be Lacunis with 6% crit, damage stat, and vita.

Should cap out at 25, he gets the bracers for IAS and Crit, the Legs for IAS and 1 Crit, and the boots for Elemental damage, turning normally non-DPS armor slots into massive DPS upgrades. The movement speed is just an added bonus.

A little more reading showed he switched out helm, trium, and ammy for APOC to keep up arcane for CM build (used for azmodan kill), so his paperdoll dps must have suffered pretty big with those changes.

Lol. thats what you call a lacking ring? Max crit, good crit damage and -2 on the ias. Not really "lacking" in my opinion.

3 runs last night and not a single drop. I guess its balancing me out since I've found 2 nats rings with crit on them since the weekend, both are at least 150 Mil prob, gotta sell them this weekend. At least I dinged p60 last night though.

how is diablo 3 now that there have been several patches since i played? have any of you come back to it and found it to be more enjoyable??

I didn't but that was after 1.04. Been keeping an eye on things though and it sounds like they are making some positive changes.

how is diablo 3 now that there have been several patches since i played? have any of you come back to it and found it to be more enjoyable??

Read the past few pages of replies.

The short answer is "yes."

There were a few new systems put in play along with tweaks to difficulty in inferno that made the game more enjoyable.
-Infernal Machine event
-paragon level sytem
-monster power level
-revised itemization; legendaries/sets can actually be good

Last edited:
I didn't but that was after 1.04. Been keeping an eye on things though and it sounds like they are making some positive changes.

yeah it does seem like the changes have been positive. i came back for like a day when paragon levels came out and then i think another game got released or something maybe guild wars 2 and i stopped playing.

Read the past few pages of replies.

The short answer is "yes."

There were a few new systems put in play along with tweaks to difficulty in inferno that made the game more enjoyable.
-Infernal Machine event
-paragon level sytem
-monster power level
-revised itemization; legendaries/sets can actually be good

it's important (imo) to add that they also fixed CC. My wizard was not fun to play when frost nova and slows only worked at 25% duration. Now, i can actually kite shit with my cc moves, and it's fun again like Normal through Hell was fun. The monster power level system above also makes the gear check a much more gradual thing, so even if you have shit gear you can still find something which doesn't completely kick your ass.

Last edited:
Haven't heard of this; what is this tactic, and why?

It's been discussed on and off, but basically "+ 6% fire damage" doesn't increase fire damage, but adds 6% fire damage onto any "white" damage you have. Like if your weapon just had +450 min and +500 max damage (as opposed to +400-500 poison damage), as well as any damage ranges on rings and amulets.

It's weird and wonky... someone mentioned a blue post about it, i'd love to see that.

Haven't heard of this; what is this tactic, and why?

A white weapon is a weapon that has only physical damage, not something like an add 150-670 arcane damage as an example.

% elemental damage like the 8% poison damage from legacy Zunimassa's Journey boots gets calculated on top of raw weapon damage, which is basically after your listed character's damage. It's a straight up 8% gain in this example.

So if you take up 8% from Zunimassa, 18% (6% for every elemental from Triumvirate source), 6% from Tal's necklace, 8% from Stormcrow, that's a whopping 40% extra damage on top of the listed damage. I'm sure there are more items with elemental damage out there. These are just the ones I know of from the top of my head. The elemental damage type does not matter.

So suddenly you have 40% extra damage that gets calculated on top of the weapon damage before the skill damage modifiers.... Toss in a Stone of Jordan and Skullgrasp for even more oomp since they have skill damage modifiers.

As far as calculations are concerned. Take these as arbitrary numbers.

Say you have a weapon with a damage range of 100 - 200 damage. Say you have 40% extra elemental damage. That would be 100 (*.4) - 200 (*.4). Your new damage range would be 140 - 280. That would be for weapon calculation. The listed character sheet damage takes into account weapon damage, crit %, crit damage, attack speed, and any buffs you may have active at the time. It's also an average, not a range. However, blue gave a similar way to calculate %elemental damage. The numbers were different though.

EDIT: Just found the blue post: http://diablo.incgamers.com/blog/comments/elemental-damage-how-does-it-work

Last edited:
So weapons without elemental damage are better? When a weapon has +element is that calculated into the DPS on the weapon?

Back