Diablo 3 - Beta thread

Why do you think I said it looked mediocre?

It certainly wasn't to troll, I didn't really get the whole Diablo vibe from it, it looks like Diablo with World of Warcraft artwork instead of straight up Diablo artwork.

You remember when the game had concept artwork released a long ass time ago?

It was bright and cartoony!!!

And this . . .

well, if you wanna call this garbage a game, I guess you could.

You could even call it Diablo, it certainly doesn't make it Diablo.

Yeah man...I'm just not getting the Diablo feel from this. Everything is too over sized , everything looks hand drawn or painted or colored with pastels. Where are the Details Blizzard?

Whats up with the dot on the screen every time the player moves, does the game have to reassure you where your moving to? Also I dislike the numbers floating on the screen every time you take a potion or gain experience or hit an enemy. I know a lot of RPG type games use this like Final Fantasy and WoW, but its not Diablo.

Basically from the interviews I've been watching from Jay Wilson, he's pretty much said to the customer, its not what you want , its what we want or think you should like. All I can say is, no...its not.

Yeah man...I'm just not getting the Diablo feel from this. Everything is too over sized , everything looks hand drawn or painted or colored with pastels. Where are the Details Blizzard?

Whats up with the dot on the screen every time the player moves, does the game have to reassure you where your moving to? Also I dislike the numbers floating on the screen every time you take a potion or gain experience or hit an enemy. I know a lot of RPG type games use this like Final Fantasy and WoW, but its not Diablo.

If you want a honest answer, Blizzard has been trending in this direction ever since they decided to dumb down WoW by removing "difficult to comprehend stats" and they have translated the dumbing down of WoW to Diablo, a franchise where the stats you get on items and how you allocate your stat points ACTUALLY make a difference in how good or strong your character ends up being.

Honestly, this isn't really much of a surprise, it's about what I expected.

I think I want to vomit at how accepting people are vis a vis the dumbing down of a franchise considered one of the cornerstones of modern PC gaming.

I think I want to vomit at how accepting people are vis a vis the dumbing down of a franchise considered one of the cornerstones of modern PC gaming.

Yeah, Diablo was the game that got me into PC gaming. I remember playing the first one at my Friends house and thinking, "look at the graphics" They looks so lifelike! ....

But now, its like I'm watching a bastardized version of a game that I cherished so much and still play to this day.

Could you imagine if they took Baulders gate or Planescape Torment and made it look like this? People would be pissed, so why is it so different when people are mad about what Diablo looks like now?

The videos I've seen have enough blood for me, the ground was covered in it... well at least if you were fighting enemies that bleed. I'm completely fine with the art direction, the lack of stat points, the auction house, always online. I'll be buying the game and I have a pretty damn good feeling that I will be playing it for a long time.

Exactly.

Yeah, Diablo was the game that got me into PC gaming. I remember playing the first one at my Friends house and thinking, "look at the graphics" They looks so lifelike! ....

But now, its like I'm watching a bastardized version of a game that I cherished so much and still play to this day.

Could you imagine if they took Baulders gate or Planescape Torment and made it look like this? People would be pissed, so why is it so different when people are mad about what Diablo looks like now?

Cause people have no standards anymore, it's what enables the Koticks of the world to rape the masses.

God forbid somebody liking a game means they are getting raped. Liking torchlight means you're getting raped too. Oh by the way, I'm buying Torchlight as well, as I also own the first one.

Anyone know where a live stream of this is? It looks like all the previous ones have been shut down.

Anyone know where a live stream of this is? It looks like all the previous ones have been shut down.

There is no NDA. Everyone can post everything. Just search on Youtube.

Apparently this thread has also been corrupted by the people who want to hate on Diablo 3 for any reason. Cartoony? No "gothic" look? Have any of you claiming this even watched any of the footage?

You can disable those things in the options menu, which you would know if you had researched the game rather than stomping onto an internet forum to complain about how you don't like the game.

You can disable those things in the options menu, which you would know if you had researched the game rather than stomping onto an internet forum to complain about how you don't like the game.

Your missing the point. Those shouldn't even be in the game, much less toggled. Ask yourself , Do I really need a HUD display telling me how much I hit a creature for or how much xp I'm gaining from a monster kill or how much health I gained from drinking a potion? Or a dot telling me where my character is going even though I just clicked the area to move it? No...in some RPG's yes but not in Diablo.

Because you don't like those things, they shouldn't be in the game at all?

Guess what? I like hit numbers, and I'm glad they're in Diablo 3.

basically you're the epitome of "entitled gamer" right now. If the devs don't cater this game to my extremely specific vision, i'm gonna get mad as hell and post about it on the internet.

Doesn't look good. I think this genre just might be outdated. I couldn't imagine myself having much fun with it. Absolutely hate the art direction and animations.

Because you don't like those things, they shouldn't be in the game at all?

Guess what? I like hit numbers, and I'm glad they're in Diablo 3.

basically you're the epitome of "entitled gamer" right now. If the devs don't cater this game to my extremely specific vision, i'm gonna get mad as hell and post about it on the internet.

I am the customer. I have expectations and when there not met I point out what the problem is. I or anyone else isn't entitled to anything.

Your missing the point. Those shouldn't even be in the game, much less toggled. Ask yourself , Do I really need a HUD display telling me how much I hit a creature for or how much xp I'm gaining from a monster kill or how much health I gained from drinking a potion? Or a dot telling me where my character is going even though I just clicked the area to move it? No...in some RPG's yes but not in Diablo.

LOLLLL. So just because you don't like it, it shouldn't be in the game? Brilliant logic.

Guess what...you can turn it off. And the people who like it can keep it on. Win/win.

I am the customer. I have expectations and when there not met I point out what the problem is. I or anyone else isn't entitled to anything.

You're saying that providing options to a player is bad in this case because said feature shouldn't exist in the first place, for no reason other than "But it's Diablo!".

So explain to me why hit numbers are a Very Bad Thing in Diablo? (something more tangible than "I don't like them" please)

You're saying that providing options to a player is bad in this case because said feature shouldn't exist in the first place, for no reason other than "But it's Diablo!".

So explain to me why hit numbers are a Very Bad Thing in Diablo? (something more tangible than "I don't like them" please)

First. They are cheesy. Second they're distracting to the atmosphere of the game. I don't dislike them, in a game like Final Fantasy they're actually helpful but I can't see any reason they would be in a Diablo game because of the Health and Mana bubbles at the bottom of your screen. Lastly it doesn't make any sense to put a dot on the screen telling you where you just moved your character to when you knowingly made the decision to move them there. Its like something telling you "you have just clicked here" ....well no shit. Its kind of ironic though, Blizzard talking about things they haven't included from the last games because in there opinion you just didn't need them when they put something like that into the game.

Last edited:
But... they're off by default and you always have the option of keeping them off.

What's the problem again?

But its not....If anything it looks like a downgrade in graphics and artwork, Where is the Gothic look of Diablo? Not hear from what I've been seeing. If anything it looks like a slightly darker version of World of Warcrafts artwork. Add a few skulls and spiderwebs and call it Diablo? I don't think so. Where are the dead burnt bodies and pools of blood? I wan't dark and sinister damn it. I'm just not seeing it. If I've missed it then please someone show me some screens with that kind of stuff in it.

....Well atleast the music is Diablo esque.

A lot of their promo videos (with more action and show-offy-ness) showed plenty of blood and violence. The early game so far seems about as modest as D2 started. You probably don't start running into hordes of enemies till either late in the game, or in other difficulty levels. I guess this may be one of the reasons why Blizzard didn't show off much gameplay in D2 back in the day (only showed off the cinematics, really). It's not an interesting spectator game, but can pull you in when you play it nonetheless. If there was a live demo of D2 Act I normal, watching it would seem rather boring too.

It seems I have shit all over Superhumans thread. I'm sorry. I was just posting my opinions. Anyways back to how glorious Diablo 3 will be. :)

I think it looks good so far and can't really tell too much without having played it. Which brings me to my next point. I dearly hope I get into the beta, especially after getting shafted out of the SC2 beta. :(

My thoughts exactly. Especially the part about the indoor area being "Scripted". Meh.

Also the camera is so close! It looks like there playing through a magnifying glass. It seriously reminds me of Playing in 800x600 all over again. And what is the deal with everything looking so disproportionate? I seriously miss the Baulders Gate style art direction :( /rant

This this thread: hipsters who want to be different and make sure everybody knows it

And people who already publicly announced they aren't getting it. Yet they still get off by talking about it anyways. They'll be buying it. They'll be first in line even, collectors edition (two) in hand, and taking a picture of it.

I think it looks good so far and can't really tell too much without having played it. Which brings me to my next point. I dearly hope I get into the beta, especially after getting shafted out of the SC2 beta. :(

I haven't had much luck getting into Blizzard betas so I don't have much hope. I think the only one I managed to get into was a stress test for D2 way back in the day, but that might have been an open beta. :D

My take on this is pretty simple.

Do I like the direction of Diablo 3, and how it seemingly strays into a different direction in several areas? Probably not, at first glance.

Fact is though, I feel that most of us that have played Diablo since the original have the ability to keep hope until the game is released. I won't know how I feel until I've played through it.
This is how trust works:
Diablo 1 was entertaining -> gives enough faith that Diablo 2 will be
Diablo 2 was entertaining -> adds cumulative credit to the Diablo franchise that the 3rd will be entertaining.

Yes, Blizzard isn't the same company that it was when Diablo 2 was released.

I will discontinue to buy Diablo games when I have played it, decided it was bad, and feel put off to buying another Diablo game.
In the end, if I play Diablo 3 and enjoy its gameplay then I'll continue to buy Diablo things. It may not be the original, but I'm not totally against them making changes if it's still a good product. I'd like it to be LAN-able, and this and that, but if I play it and enjoy it enough to justify buying it, then that trumps all.

Anyways, I'm just saying that everybody is looking for reasons to be mad at each other when I believe there isn't as much arguing as you make it seem. I think people just know that Blizzard = quality most of the time at this point, and it's going to take some ACTUAL discrediting, not hearsay, to ruin them in peoples' minds.

If you want a honest answer, Blizzard has been trending in this direction ever since they decided to dumb down WoW by removing "difficult to comprehend stats" and they have translated the dumbing down of WoW to Diablo, a franchise where the stats you get on items and how you allocate your stat points ACTUALLY make a difference in how good or strong your character ends up being.

Honestly, this isn't really much of a surprise, it's about what I expected.

I'd agree if Diablo was ever a complex game. It's always been a simple action clickfest semi-roguelike. I wouldn't have chosen to take the stats and stuff out of the game, but lets not pretend D2 was ever a hardcore RPG.

Teleport, FrozenOrbx5, teleport, isn't deep and intriguing tactics?!?!?!? :( I thought I was the Napolean of my time...

to Diablo, a franchise where the stats you get on items and how you allocate your stat points ACTUALLY make a difference in how good or strong your character ends up being.

The ironic part being, Diablo 2's items accounted for about 90% of a characters strength, whereas on Diablo 3, developer's stated items will only account for about 25% of a characters strength.

Teleport, FrozenOrbx5, teleport, isn't deep and intriguing tactics?!?!?!? :( I thought I was the Napolean of my time...

Well, you're no Paladin standing in the middle of a room watching enemies fall over just for being near you.

You were a colossus
a titan
an unstoppable force of nature.

Nobody could stand against you, not even Diablo, and not even Baal

I'd agree if Diablo was ever a complex game. It's always been a simple action clickfest semi-roguelike. I wouldn't have chosen to take the stats and stuff out of the game, but lets not pretend D2 was ever a hardcore RPG.

I never claimed that Diablo was a complex game, just that they are further dumbing it down for the masses by removing stuff like stats from the game and making it so you can autolevel if you want to.

I never claimed that Diablo was a complex game, just that they are further dumbing it down for the masses by removing stuff like stats from the game and making it so you can autolevel if you want to.

But they're adding more depth in giving you more skills to actually use, and more combinations of them, and customization there. So yes, you don't have to be as "smart" to know you need exactly 31 str as a mage to wear Occulus or wtfever (don't remember) but other than that, you're still spamming Frozen Orb along with the most rank newby.

And auto-level is a choice. If anything, just think they can make more money from the newbs to subsidize our gaming needs.

But they're adding more depth in giving you more skills to actually use, and more combinations of them, and customization there. So yes, you don't have to be as "smart" to know you need exactly 31 str as a mage to wear Occulus or wtfever (don't remember) but other than that, you're still spamming Frozen Orb along with the most rank newby.

And auto-level is a choice. If anything, just think they can make more money from the newbs to subsidize our gaming needs.

They will make money regardless

they've built all these revenue streams into the game lol

Back