DELL XPS or Alienware?

Status
Not open for further replies.
lithium726 said:
youre comparing a 700mhz p3, which put out a max of about 25w and could be passivly cooled to a pentium4 EE which puts out ~100-120w of heat? plus a high end graphics card putting out another buttload of heat... do you see the flaw in this argument? now, i havent dealt with a current gen XPS system myself, but I have heard (from users on this forum) that under heavy load, those fans ramp up and become very loud, which is something i am not willing to deal with, as a consumer.

Dells are still almost silent. Even their highest end workstations like mine. Dual Xeon heaters in there with a 256MB Quadro 3400. The XPS with a single processor is no big deal. They're well designed, thats why they're owning the market.

GeForceX said:
This is what I often do a lot. But I usually get a free dinner. :p

-J.
i usually get free dinner and money :p ... but seriously guys if the guy asks whats a better pre-built system then help him find the best pre-built system dont tell him to build his own. People actually have jobs and lives here folks, they dont allways have time to fuck around with their computer.

I'm pretty tired of people complaining about others not building their own systems. A lot of people just don't have the time anymore. Read the forum title: Full Computer Systems (OEM) That would be, computers you buy from other companies. If you have no interest in OEM systems, then this is not your forum.

FWIW, both are good systems, but if you can afford the Alienware, I would go for it because of their tech support.

i think everyone that posted about monarch or build you own should be banned from teh forums...can yall not read people...geez
neways...i would go alienware
i did a repair on the high end xps and OMFG...it took all day for somethin that should have taken 10 mins...reading other peoples "opinions" alienware is the best of teh 2
I hate dell support, hate it , hate it, hate it. you will get much better performance from the alienware....mainly cuz its amd baby.
Theres my opinion...

If you really want a prebuilt system, go to www.abspc.com - WAY cheaper than buying from big OEM retailers such as alienware and dell.

TSS Modder said:
that statement was made before he stated that he didnt have enough time. i was under the impression that he was another guy who was too lazy to build his own. time-constraints change everything. now pull the stick outta your ass... :rolleyes:

actually, yes i do. i do it quite often w/ close friends and family. i also usually get a meal, and occasionally a small amount of money...:rolleyes:
when kyle sees that hes gonna ban you

TSS Modder said:
did i say anything against him? why would i be banned? :confused:
because the :rolleyes: symbol is insulting and he can do anything he wants...he pays for the forums :rolleyes:

TSS Modder said:
actually, yes i do. i do it quite often w/ close friends and family. i also usually get a meal, and occasionally a small amount of money...:rolleyes:

Cool deal. Please send me your name and contact information so I can get all my relatives in touch with you as I don't have the resources to accomplish what you have. Hell I will give you $5 and a burger for buiding systems and supporting them all day long.

PawNtheSandman said:
Go monarch. Anyone who suggests alienware has rich parents who are trying to buy their love.
Yeah, Alienware is a company built on the business model of numerous parents who are tring to buy their child's love.

how come at this era of computing glory people who want stable and relatively powerful pcs are forced to choose between Dell or Alienware, i dont mean to flame since i once had the same decision to make, because there were not many other viable alternatives. why can't there be a brand(s) which customizes its products to suit the wishes of its customers and offer more than these two pathetic companies can. imho alienware buyers tend to think that what they buy is the best that money can buy and they also tend to be so wrong since naming a pc alienware does not make it faster or more reliable, its not like they are going to tweak nvidias/atis drivers for you and hold your hand while you frag your first bot with your overpriced rig.

Hmm why not do a little more research first? There are other companies out there that supply awesome PCs for awesome prices (Pick up a CPU Magazine from your local bookstore or someplace like that, I have a monthly subscription to them and they have alot of Ads on pre-built computer suppliers).

Leon2ky said:
Hmm why not do a little more research first? There are other companies out there that supply awesome PCs for awesome prices (Pick up a CPU Magazine from your local bookstore or someplace like that, I have a monthly subscription to them and they have alot of Ads on pre-built computer suppliers).
i am not just talking about local stores or companies, i am talking about a company that can be compared to dell in terms of sales, i believe this is the only way consumers can guarantee fair prices and also, through reviews and so on, know a little bit about what they are buying as a pre-built computer. i.e. before i bought my first dell, i did not know about the non-atx parts and it kinda came as a shock to me later, i thought i had a great deal considering the specs and the price of the pc.

hey tycoot, sorry for shittin in your thread after my first post. i didnt realize this was a new forum only for OEM questions. sorry for all of the troubles. :)

BossNoodleKaboodle said:
Dells are still almost silent. Even their highest end workstations like mine. Dual Xeon heaters in there with a 256MB Quadro 3400. The XPS with a single processor is no big deal. They're well designed, thats why they're owning the market.

QFT. Just got a XPS gen4 with a 570J and it's remarkably silent even under max load.

Good idea with a OEM/pre-built forum. I hope people respect that some of us prefer to buy computers assembled and QA'ed by professionals, instead of spending time putting together an amateur product. I barely have enough time for my favorite hobbies, I don't need another one. Hope we can avoid endlessly repeated posting of "build your own" in this subforum at least.

Well I personally did not say build your own. I said go to www.abspc.com and configure one. The tech support is great, just make sure you get a year subscription for support. I bought my system from them, and I love it. Now I have upgraded a lot of it.. video card, hdd, case, PSU, fans. They also allow you to choose the case you want, fans, etc.

It's nice to know that Monarch uses Thermaltake for their cases and PSU's. I feel so very safe with Monarch! :p

-J.

tycoot said:
main reason for not wanting to build a new system, im busy the next 4 weeks i dont see myself having 2+ hours of freetime to sit down build a computer. i just want to order and go, and ill probably just go monarch once they get amd x2 in. much easier for me.
If it takes you 2+ hours to build a computer then I doubt you've ever built a computer before. Takes me 45 minutes top to unwrap everything and getting it to boot.

Anywho, that being said, Dell because alien ware has ugly ass cases and I've never heard of the other company before(I'm not saying its a bad company though, just that I've never heard of it).

lol why are people always out to get other people on online forums, heres what i have going starting tomorrowing morning at 6am: a funeral in florida (i live in IL) i'll be there a week. currently im moving to st louis, i have to pack, goto school and finish registration i have to drive an hour and a half about 5 different times in a week period, work 40+ hours a week, i also have soccer conditioning starting next week. between me figuring out which system i want to go with and pricing it all, you do all of that and find the time to sit down and build a new computer (last compuer i built was 3 years ago i believe when nforce came out and amd 2100s and what not) will take me sometime, sli which i have no clue about not sure how that 100% configures/installs, also last i check it takes 30mins or so do to a windows install i believe? so good luck in 45mins jackass also do you even take time to rotue wires in 45mins? before you speak think about what your saying

I didnt really think about going to a store or something....considering its what i do..
/me smacks himself (for the irc fans)
....alot of times you will get a better system at jsut about the same price. I custom build alot of high end systems for our customers. I have yet to have one not pleased. you get local support, name brand products, and NONE OF THE PROPRIETARY PARTS. Its just like ordering one online or on the phone, except its all american baby.. :) and its right down the street. I love to build computers, im not an assembly line, and it will not leave the store unless its perfect and what the customer wants. Come in, tell me what you want to do, how much you wanna spend, and ill have it just like you want it.
Im still sticking with my alienware choice though.
Good luck man I hope this thread isnt really getting to ya...Funny how a simple ? turns into a whole discussion...not knockin neone..im just sayin.

and yes 2 hours is pretty decent time...considering os load and all that....take the time to do it right....plus i bench for a minumum of 4 hours

45 minutes? wtf, do u you just throw everything in, throw wires into their slots, and slam on the power button? Took me about 4 hours to transfer my system to a new case... but I'm a nub =/

elite.mafia said:
45 minutes? wtf, do u you just throw everything in, throw wires into their slots, and slam on the power button? Took me about 4 hours to transfer my system to a new case... but I'm a nub =/
bro i can build a whole system in under 10min and it will work and be stable to...though i choose to spend more time because its a labor of love for me.

Whats with all the hate?? Please put everything else aside and disscuss the issue. I'm for one a big fan of dell, althugh im sure nothing is wrong with alienware. I ve currently myself been seriously disscusing getting a gen 5 XPS(im crossing fingers for price drop)
In Canada, you can not but that computer,part for part, cheaperand that is the bottom line. I've had great luck with my dells,they run great,they have decent support, solid as a rock, and can finance for us poor people. I suggest the upgrade to the xps 5 over the 9100 though. For a few more dollars, you get the 955x which supports the EE dual cores etc.

BTW, dell told me if i purchase a Gen 5 xps, it is overclockable on the dual cores, the were willing to give a hand written guarenteed statement on that.Also the 955 is not DRM enabled

ABS is not a bad idea, they are owned by newegg and will also give you great parts and newegg's awesome for support as many of us have been made aware!

Dell's are absolutley not upgradeable, and you are paying a premium for a lesser product than what ABS would be providing you.

http://www.abspc.com/

Best option here.

I, personally, like the fact that they are both phone and forum support

GeForceX said:
It's nice to know that Monarch uses Thermaltake for their cases and PSU's. I feel so very safe with Monarch! :p

-J.

Crap are you serious!? I can't believe they'd waste money like that. TT doesn't even MAKE their own PSU's. So their profit margins are either small or they dick the customer over. What a shame.

ScHpAnKy said:
Dell's are absolutley not upgradeable,

Wrong, most parts are standard and can be replaced/upgraded: CPUs, fans, RAM, vid cards, sound cards, HDDs, CD/DVD drives, floppy drives etc. Some systems have special MB/PSU solutions, e.g the XPS PSU is located in a separate vented compartment in the bottom of the case.

btw Dell gives you the options of phone, e-mail and forum support. The forum is frequented by Dell technicians. XPS owners also get 24/7 toll-free phone support world-wide.

jon67 said:
Wrong, most parts are standard and can be replaced/upgraded: CPUs, fans, RAM, vid cards, sound cards, HDDs, CD/DVD drives, floppy drives etc. Some systems have special MB/PSU solutions, e.g the XPS PSU is located in a separate vented compartment in the bottom of the case.

btw Dell gives you the options of phone, e-mail and forum support. The forum is frequented by Dell technicians. XPS owners also get 24/7 toll-free phone support world-wide.
well kyle gives us the option of the best tech support on the web for free and it doesnt matter where you get your system from... [H]ardforums

cell_491 said:
well kyle gives us the option of the best tech support on the web for free and it doesnt matter where you get your system from... [H]ardforums
QFT. amen... :cool:

cell_491 said:
Are you going to send him a new part and pre-labeled box to send the bad one back in?

Morley said:
Are you going to send him a new part and pre-labeled box to send the bad one back in?
just about every single piece of electronic equipment will break w/in a year if its bad. thats covered by your standard 1 year warrenty.

typically anything past a year is caused from 1) electrical spike (covered by power strip manufacturer's warrenty. unless, of course, you were too stupid to use one, then its your fault) or 2) physical damage (thats your own fault or somebody elses fault. the OEM cant be held responsible. only yourself or whoever broke it.)

cell_491 said:

In addition to the Hardforums, I would also like the option of a tech support that doesn't tell me that my comp is OEM crap, or to build my own comp, or that I'm a noobie with no technical skills whatsoever.

jon67 said:
In addition to the Hardforums, I would also like the option of a tech support that doesn't tell me that my comp is OEM crap, or to build my own comp, or that I'm a noobie with no technical skills whatsoever.
thats gonna be the purpose of this new Full Computer Systems (OEM) forum. once everybody catches on, then the flaming and crapping will end.

this thread was an early thread, and its more like a test thread at this point. everything will eventually get smoothed out. this will catch on and the thread crapping will not come in here.

TSS Modder said:
just about every single piece of electronic equipment will break w/in a year if its bad. thats covered by your standard 1 year warrenty.

typically anything past a year is caused from 1) electrical spike (covered by power strip manufacturer's warrenty. unless, of course, you were too stupid to use one, then its your fault) or 2) physical damage (thats your own fault or somebody elses fault. the OEM cant be held responsible. only yourself or whoever broke it.)
LOL!

im a little late to the party. i have three i built and two that alienware built. I like their stuff and their support is good, but hold times can be trouble. As of one year ago all of alienwares stuff was in house. You will most likely speak to the techs when you have a problem. They are responsive. You can custom build an alienware to a point. I dont think their ALX is all that hot for $5000,but i dont own one of those. Ive looked at Falcon, Voodoo and Alienware. I must say that I am more than satisfied with Alienware overall. could you build it for less,yes. but if you want it now and want support to go with it get the AW. (and yes, all the monitors at my house are Dells, the comp at my office is a Dell.) Alienware started as an "extreme"builder back when there werent many of these at all. Lately theyve tried to go to the mainstream a bit with their "bot" comps, but I still think at heart they like to build fast gaming boxes. 2 cents. :D

Morley said:
dude i said tech support...for most companies the rma department is seperate from the tech support department. Anyway i dont see your problem with my post i havent told the guy to build his own so bug off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back