Dell U2412M

Yes, but if you buy from Amazon you return to Amazon and their return policy is head and shoulder above almost everywhere else. Of course if it's a technical problem and not a return, then yes, your warranty is through Dell.

EDIT: I bought mine through Amazon because I was worried about the AG coating being too much, or dead/stuck pixel issues. I didn't see the the previous page of the thread had someone posting about manufacturers warranty, but most things bought new in the box will have the manufacturers warranty. Amazon is just great due to their excellent return policy... ;)

I have to say, Dell is pretty solid about warranty for the Ultrasharps at least. If you've got a problem, they send out a refurb, usually around 3 days, and include a return shipping label to send the old one back. No complaints from me on the process, and I've done it 4 times.

Is this glow just normal with IPS monitors? If so, I can't understand how so many people prefer them. It drives me nuts.

Some glow, yes, but that's more then what my screen puts out.

i am considering saying mine is broken so they send me a newer revision.... i bought mine to early. looks like garbage compared to my fathers later revision

I just want to make sure I'm not being hyper-critical before sending this back to Dell. Here is a picture of what I am seeing on a black screen from about 2.5ft away (I can't move back any farther and still read the thing):

http://imgur.com/sq0UR

Is this glow just normal with IPS monitors? If so, I can't understand how so many people prefer them. It drives me nuts.

I have the same thing in my bottom corners. Definitely bleed, not glow...

Hi guys!

So, few days back i bought this monitor (rev.A05), and i'm very pleased with color reproduction and build quality.
But, can you take a look at this picture and tell me is this amount of backlight bleeding normal for this monitor (brightness set to 100)?

Hi guys!

So, few days back i bought this monitor (rev.A05), and i'm very pleased with color reproduction and build quality.
But, can you take a look at this picture and tell me is this amount of backlight bleeding normal for this monitor (brightness set to 100)?

I just tested on mine at 100 brightness and it's not quite as bad as the pic you show. It's close, but the backlight bleed out of the corners is a bit less pronounced. When I set my brightness down to the normal level I use, I don't notice backlight bleed except for the bottom right corner. That said, after using this monitor for a while, I do notice that the AG coating bothers me more and more. I bought the monitor for the IPS panel and part of that was to have good viewing angles, but the AG coating ruins that. It goes heavily hazy blue from almost any angle except straight on. The picture quality is extremely nice straight on and I think text quality is great, but I think this monitor would have been much better without such an aggressive AG coating.

Hi folks, I'm new here (to posting, but not to reading/viewing) and signed up to participate in this thread specifically.

I just purchased a new U2412M intended to replace my ageing 2407WFP (rev A02). My 2407WFP had no issues (I've had it for 5+ years and I love it), but I wanted to either go dual-monitor or use the U2412M exclusively. The U2412M would save on my electricity bill (California prices are absurd, don't ask) and had greatly improved response time (2407WFP is well-known for being a laggy beast), so for US$290 at Amazon the U2412M was a steal. I had to replace the first one I got due to multiple dead and multiple lit pixels, but the replacement was perfect. I set it up and began using it for a few days as a 2nd monitor in "clone" mode, to compare it to my 2407WFP (to try and adjust colour to how I liked, etc.), then wanted to move it to my primary monitor with my 2407WFP being a secondary.

Yesterday I switched to the U2412M as my primary. That's when I began to notice something amiss. It's something people have touched on in this thread, as well as threads over at dpreview.com. Let me link to a dpreview.com fellows' Youtube video demonstrating the problem I see, followed by some useful details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RCYtplefA

This is the exact issue I have with my U2412M. The bottom right and bottom left corners of my monitor (and to some degree upper right, but hardly none in upper left) are basically "gray-ish" in tint and are impossible to read text-wise. For example the systray clock (black text on a light gray taskbar) is completely unreadable -- it's that bad.

But unlike him, I can see this problem in a well-lit room, and on backgrounds that aren't black (its worse on dim ones, but it's still visible even with, say the stock Windows XP background image, or even brighter things like the Moon flower desktop image). Anything in the bottom right especially is just a big off-gray mess. It's visible all the time, even when sitting proper / with proper posture, with my eyes aligned properly to the monitor per ergonomic guidelines.

If I move my head so that I'm looking at the bottom-right corner head-on, it looks great. I can read all the text, there's no glare, etc.. But nobody uses a monitor this way. Since I tend to do a lot with terminals (lots of PuTTY windows), text being readable all over my monitor is important.

Adjusting brightness, contrast, colour temp or RGB values, have no bearing on this. Well, okay, I'll admit diminishing brightness has an effect, but we're talking at levels like "20", where the monitor might as well be powered off. ;-)

As a test, I tried rotating the monitor 90 degrees clockwise. Sure enough, I saw the same issue in the bottom right, although it was less severe. This leads me to believe it's the AG film that is the most likely cause, but I'm not sure. I'm left pondering if this is an issue with e-IPS, the AG coating, or with backlight bleed.

Again I will point out that I have a 2407WFP (rev A02), which is IPS and has AG coating (matte, not glossy), and it does not have this kind of issue.

I can happily return it to Amazon for a replacement (assuming folks think it's just a bad monitor), but then I get to go through "dead-or-lit-pixel hell", which also means going through "wonky lighting or improperly applied AG film hell" as well. The probability of getting a properly built monitor diminishes the more crap there is to deal with.

Does anyone know if there are newer revisions of U2412Ms that address this issue at all? The service menu on my U2412M states: DELLU2412M / O3PPY / M3B102 / QI SDA / SVN 001.

Alternately, if this turns out to be just a general crappy quality issue with Dell panels in general these days, what IPS panels are people recommending these days? I'm unemployed right now so a US$700 monitor is really not an option, but I'm willing to pay more (than US$300) to get something that's going to be nice, yet I cannot discern for the life of me what's decent. 1920x1200 is absolutely mandatory (no debate).

I guess an alternate would be to go with a 30" monitor (meaning gaining more resolution real estate), but I've heard horrible things about the Dell 30" panels using "even thicker" AG film (if that is what this problem is, then that doesn't sound like an ideal situation). Isn't there anyone here who has a 2407WFP that remembers how these things looked, which used a matte AG film and so on? It's not like this type of film is new/rocket science..... :)

Thoughts/advice?

Let me link to a dpreview.com fellows' Youtube video demonstrating the problem I see, followed by some useful details:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_RCYtplefA

that's ips glow*. even if the screen didn't have an ag coating, the glow would still be there.

Again I will point out that I have a 2407WFP (rev A02), which is IPS and has AG coating (matte, not glossy), and it does not have this kind of issue.

afaik 2407wfp's use va-type panels.

but, it's true that different ips panel models can have the glow to different degrees.

* it would probably be more accurate to call it 'panel glow', as i've seen quite a few tn panels exhibit the same effect. but 'ips glow' is a term that's already in use and most people know what it is.

Last edited:
I'm on a 2407WFP right now at work. I had a 2007WFP which was an S-IPS and had the same heavy coating of AG. That and several other problems I was having with it and numerous replacements is why I sold it. I'm not sure why Dell doesn't use the AG coating they use on the 2407WFP for the U2412M.

@livefastdieyoung -- so is the "glow" caused by e-IPS itself, the result of non-uniform LED backlighting, or the type of AG matte used on the panel? The reason I'm asking is so I can figure out if it's e-IPS or AG matte I should be avoiding (can't do much about non-uniform backlighting, that's always hit-or-miss and I have no control over it).

For now, sounds like my U2412M is gonna have to go back to Amazon. This makes one koitsu a sad panda. 2407WFP gonna keep on suckin' down the power...! Haha. :)

Edit: Digging around Google and what not, plus going into the service menu on my 2407WFP rev A02, the panel used is a VB120 / HN208. According to lots of online references, that's a S-PVA panel made by a company called S-LCD (combination of Samsung and Sony). Not really relevant to the topic, I know, but wanted to put that in there so at least if someone else goes looking for something like "2407WFP vs. U2412M" they'll potentially have some context.

Last edited:
@livefastdieyoung -- so is the "glow" caused by e-IPS itself, the result of non-uniform LED backlighting, or the type of AG matte used on the panel?

all ips (and pls) panels have it to a certain degree. some tn panels as well.

some nec monitors from a few years back used a special polarizer that mostly eliminated the glow, but they're not in production any more. you can still find them on ebay, though. search for 2490wuxi (not the wuxi2).

I was all set to buy a U2412M (perhaps the U2312) but I read some of this thread and now I'm doubting my choice (anti-glare and bleeding issues). I just don't see any other monitors that compare from the reviewing that I've been doing.

I read the reviews from TFTcentral and they give it a positive review so I'm really confused. There's so much conflicting information.

If it helps any, I've had backlight bleed with every LCD monitor I've ever owned. NEC, HP, Samsung, Sceptre, Asus and Dell, all the same. Varying levels of course. To be honest, the amount on my U2412M is the lowest of any of my previous monitors. The AG coating is another issue, but looking at the monitor straight on (as I always use it) and I can't even tell. I certainly don't have any problems with text, as it looks nice and sharp to me. I was thinking about buying a second one for my work setup, but I may go with the Asus PA248Q instead, if it drops back down under $300 again (before rebate). I'm really interested in the USB 3.0 hub built into the monitor and the quality should be very similar. That would mean I'd use that as my main monitor and this Dell would go with my HP as a second screen for my work setup. Hmmm.... not sure if my musings have helped or not, sorry... ;)

If it helps any, I've had backlight bleed with every LCD monitor I've ever owned. NEC, HP, Samsung, Sceptre, Asus and Dell, all the same. Varying levels of course. To be honest, the amount on my U2412M is the lowest of any of my previous monitors. The AG coating is another issue, but looking at the monitor straight on (as I always use it) and I can't even tell. I certainly don't have any problems with text, as it looks nice and sharp to me. I was thinking about buying a second one for my work setup, but I may go with the Asus PA248Q instead, if it drops back down under $300 again (before rebate). I'm really interested in the USB 3.0 hub built into the monitor and the quality should be very similar. That would mean I'd use that as my main monitor and this Dell would go with my HP as a second screen for my work setup. Hmmm.... not sure if my musings have helped or not, sorry... ;)

I agree with this. I've looked at probably 20 LCD/LED Monitors in my time and they all had backlight bleed to some degree.

I think at the end of the day what matter is if it bothers you personally. Don't worry about what the norm is for any given monitor because it will vary really. If you can live with it, or get used to it and everything else is right with the monitor just go with it because it's really a crapshoot when it comes to backlight bleed.

I'll also add that the monitor is $279 at Amazon right now and they have a great return policy.

Thanks! I've been waiting for the monitor to go on sale on Dell.com, but it's been a while (2 months?) at full price. Cannot resist at this price.

Newegg had it for the same price on Friday, not today tho... It usually hovers between $300-320 there, not sure if they have free shipping like Amazon but a Shoprunner trial can get you that otherwise. What's Dell been selling it for?

I almost picked up my third one on Friday so all three of my displays match but decided to put it off for a few months, too much holiday shopping already. Dell Latin America sold me the first two for $300/ea. anyway, $1 promo shipping.

Newegg had it for the same price on Friday, not today tho... It usually hovers between $300-320 there, not sure if they have free shipping like Amazon but a Shoprunner trial can get you that otherwise. What's Dell been selling it for?

Dell USA has them at $369. They used be discounted to ~$300 on a fairly regular basis, but I haven't seen that on Dell for ~2 months. Amazon is fantastic when it comes to returns/exchanging defects. Newegg is not great with that anymore, so I prefer Amazon - plus I get two day shipping with prime :)

Oh yeah, not knocking it, I've been milking the heck out of a Prime trial this month (even though in PR it's just free shipping, not two day), was just putting that out there for those without Prime or anyone looking to buy it later. Dell will often give you a deal if you call and ask for a quote but they probably won't go under $300 at all.

Is this probably the best 24" LCD to get if I want to upgrade from my 19" monitor for Christmas? Are they shipping the latest revision if I order directly from Dell or is that something I need to request?

Hi guys. I have recently bought this monitor for 270€. I have been satisfied with it so far, although it sure has its problems regarding the backlight bleed or ips glow, which is already mentioned in this thread. It was quite noticeable on my monitor too and quite annoying especially while surfing, because many websites have white background, which had a yellow shift at the corners (I don't really watch movies on this monitor, so I was not worried about the black). Using 10e's settings, made things way better! I hardly notice it anymore, so no problem.

I would like to ask you something else though. I noticed something and I would like to know if it's from limitations of the panel technology, OS setting's, GPU drivers or a problem with the monitor. Or maybe a combination of all these. What I noticed is that when smooth scrolling is enabled in Firefox, if I fast scroll vertically I get little horizontal wavy lines only on small letters and for as long as I keep scrolling. I reinstalled the GPU drivers and I think things got a bit better but I could still see it. Disabling smooth scrolling in Firefox fixed it and I thought that was it, but unfortunately I found out that it doesn't happen only in Firefox but elsewhere too. For example I was playing Civ V and when I fast scrolled the map up and down I saw these wavy lines only on some small letters on the map.

I don't know what this is called. I think it might be called combing or weaving. It's something like this:

Weaving.jpg

but it is in no way so intense. It is way smoother and it only happens on small letters when smooth scrolling is enabled and for as much time the vertical fast scroll is happening.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

I know the input lag on the U2312HM is just about the lowest on any monitor, even TN. It definitely beats the U2412M in that category. The response time, however, is pretty equal. I do a lot of FPS gaming and graphic design. I had a U2410 at one point in time before I returned it for the green to pink shift issue, but I never noticed much lag--maybe just a little. Would it be worth it to go for the U2412M or stick with the U2312HM because it's faster?

Hello guys. I bought one week ago, a Dell U2412M monitor. I don't know if it has backlight bleeding problem. I take some picture, width different settings and that is the result.
Please explain me, if my monitor has a problem.

PS. What is the difference between Backlight Bleeding and IPS Glow?
Thank you.

DSC_1703.jpg

DSC_1702.jpg

DSC_1701.jpg

DSC_1687.jpg

DSC_1686.jpg

Does seem to be pretty significant from your photos. Biggest thing, does it actually bother you while you're using the monitor? If so, see about getting it replaced. If not, see if you can live with it. Mine has a little backlight bleed, but it's not bad enough for me to need to replace the monitor. In daily use, I normally don't even notice.

Just about every Dell monitor has some amount of backlight bleed. Some have more while others have less. If you are happy with the monitor during actual use, then there is no reason to return it. If you aren't happy, then feel free to return it but be aware that your replacement could be worse.

That last pic of your monitor doesn't look too bad to me if that's what you see in normal use. I'd be fine with that.

I recently acquired a u2412m shipped and sold from amazon. Rev. A03 September build. It had significant blacklight bleeding on all 4 corners. Returned for replacement and received new monitor 2 days later.

Forgive the lack of quality photo's. I've had this nikon s9100 for over a year and have yet to learn the in's and out's of it. The photos do make the bleeding slightly worse then they actually are in person. But not by much

September A03

October A03

Rev A03 October build. Initially it only had backlight bleed on top right corner. After an hour or so of use I went to test again and have backlight bleeding on all 4 corners. Not as much as the first panel, but I couldn't give it the okay. Went through the painless return process with amazon and elected for another replacement.

Got an email saying amazon would refund my order and that they were pulling the u2412m from their site to investigate further into the issues. They wouldn't of done this solely from my complaints. Just the shipped and sold by amazon were removed from the site. I was irritated to hear their actions as I just wanted to keep rolling the dice that I'd get better monitor next time round.

I'm going to research some of the 3d 120hz panels and possibly the korean 27" monitors that have been making it's rounds. It kills me that the dell ultrasharp series seem to be the only monitors that come with tilt, swivel, and height adjustment. Is it that hard to design a stand with those features? C'mon!

Last edited:
I recently acquired a u2412m shipped and sold from amazon. Rev. A03 September build. It had significant blacklight bleeding on all 4 corners. Returned for replacement and received new monitor 2 days later.

Forgive the lack of quality photo's. I've had this nikon s9100 for over a year and have yet to learn the in's and out's of it.

It looks like you are quite close to the monitor with your camera set at wide angle, so it just looks like IPS glow in both pictures to me.

southpaw10 - the Crossover 27Q LED-P comes with tilt, swivel, and height adjustment. A little more money than a Catleap though.

It looks like you are quite close to the monitor with your camera set at wide angle, so it just looks like IPS glow in both pictures to me.

Better photo for the october u2412m added. I turned ISO Sensitivity to lowest setting

southpaw10 - the Crossover 27Q LED-P comes with tilt, swivel, and height adjustment. A little more money than a Catleap though.

Thanks, I'll start researching those. In the end it'll be the return policy that sways me or the fact I'd have to upgrade the video card for any chance of gaming. I still like the idea of having a 120hz panel though, so I'm not ruling 3D panels out just yet. Oh the choices. Back to my on the fritz 8 year old 2005fpw till the decision is made.

You can always get a stand with tilt, swivel, and height adjustment (and rotation to boot) for like $60 and pair it with any other display you like (as long as it's got a VESA mount anyway, not always a given)... I got a pretty good stand like on Amazon, made by 3M, using it for my old Samsung until I get around to purchasing a 3rd U2412M.

The Korean displays look like a great value but I imagine warranty and replacement is a total lotto. That and the extra GPU horsepower required to drive higher res displays (or 120Hz) scares me away from anything fancier than my Ultrasharps.

Hello, I have returned the first monitor and i bought another Dell U2412m that has more backlight bleed. What do you advice me in this case? Look at the picture:
DSC_1709.jpg

DSC_1710.jpg

DSC_1713.jpg

DSC_1715.jpg

DSC_1718.jpg

These photos are taken with the same settings as the previous.

Still loving mine a year later, no problems but 4 year extended warranty just in case for $350 after sweet talking to Dell lady.

red3.jpg

Back