Dell trots out eight new LED-backlit LCD monitors, promises 21.5-inch multitouch IPS

Wow, seems like we posted this at the same time :)

Just wrote this in another post:

Thought I'd share this bit of interesting information. :)

It seems that Dell has a new 21.5 IPS monitor coming with multi-touch functionality. No words on model number or specs yet but see here for a bit more information.
Link: Dell releases 8 monitors, says IPS multi-touch is coming

There's no such thing as a ST panel. Engadget got that wrong. We're obviously talking about TN panels here.

:)
Not the first time Engadget gets something wrong.

The IN2020M is aesthetically pleasing. Would never even consider the ST's as an option because of the rounded corners. Those are the ones that end up on sale after low sales figures.

Came to think of the Wacom Cintiq pen display with 21.3" screen which is 4:3 ratio. Wonder what use Dell's multi-touch will be aimed at and how the Cintiq differs tech-wise. Would be great if one could buy a touch-screen monitor instead of spending $2000 on the Cintiq.
Dell doesn't manufacture panels so whose panel could it be?

Going off-topic here but does anyone know tech specs for those pen tablet monitors?

For people looking for a glossy ips other then Apple this multi-touch could have one.

The Cintiq from what I understand would defer already greatly in the "touch" aspect. I'm guessing the Dell will use an "optical" system. While the Cintiq I believe uses a much more precise and pressure sensitive "capacitive" system, that is also tied into its pens (there is a practical reason for this, not just to sell more pens).

The Cintiq does use an ips screen though, beyond that I don't know. It probably also uses a more durable screen coating. Brand name, lack of competition and being a niche specialty product also likely contribute greatly to its high price.

For people looking for a glossy ips other then Apple this multi-touch could have one.

The Cintiq from what I understand would defer already greatly in the "touch" aspect. I'm guessing the Dell will use an "optical" system. While the Cintiq I believe uses a much more precise and pressure sensitive "capacitive" system, that is also tied into its pens (there is a practical reason for this, not just to sell more pens).

The Cintiq does use an ips screen though, beyond that I don't know. It probably also uses a more durable screen coating. Brand name, lack of competition and being a niche specialty product also likely contribute greatly to its high price.
Thx! Yeah, the Cintiq appears to have a resistive screen. Thought all of the pressure sensitivity was in the stylus.

I checked what touch sens monitors were on the market now and they weren't cheap at all. Not worth considering instead of a Cintiq.

Acer had released 2 optical based touch screens as well that were TNs. I believe around ~$300-350, not sure if they still sell them. I know there are many "all in one" touch screen type PCs as well likely with TN screens.

After some more research about the Cintiq, it actually doesn't use a resistive or capacitive system, it actually isn't a touch screen. It is an "active digitizer," which is better, but more expensive and inconvenient then a touch screen.

Eww 1600x900 20 in. That's so short! I'd go nuts. The IPS sounds interesting though.

I think Dell will use the same infrared touch-system as in their current 22-inch multitouch TN screen.

Back