Decoder or new system

Glueman

Weaksauce
I'm trying to find a speaker solution for my little xbox 360 movies/gaming corner. I'm trying to not spend a bunch of cash on it or make it a big purchase because the space it's in is small.

I'm using a 24 inch Asus monitor with an HDMI input, but the built-in speakers are terrible. I was toying with the idea for a small 5.1 surround sound system for gaming, the trouble being the only thing I could find that fit the bill was the logitech z-5500 and I'm certainly not up for shelling out over $300.

Wondering if anyone knows of anything with an optical input and isn't going to cost me more than $150-$200.

Or is there a chance that I could use an old set of Creative 5.1 PC speakers that I have with a decoder. I was looking at them but none of them seemed compatible with the 3, 1/8 inch jacks that the speakers have connecting them.

Worst comes to worst and I'll just buy a 2.1 set but ideally I'd like to know if there is a 5.1 solution that's not bank breaking.

I thought the Z-5500 was like $250?

as far as a decoder, you mean something like the Technics SH-AC500D or that chinese one that floats around ebay (forget what its called), where it takes S/PDIF in and gives you 6x RCA out?

just get RCA to TRS adapters (As cables) and hook your speakers up with that, if you've got that equipment already

although, I wouldn't personally spend $60-$150 on a decoder for something like a Creative 5.1 setup

Newegg has the Z-5500 for $350 right now, and I'm not that picky in terms of sound quality.

I used to just run the optical into my Audigy 2 Platinum, but since I moved my consoles away from my PC I no longer have that option.

Was hoping someone knew of a cheap and temporary solution, as having just moved I can't justify dropping almost a months worth of rent money on speakers until I get my ass a job.

check google shopping, its a lot cheaper at other places :)

do you have a TV with HDMI in and S/PDIF out? (will the Asus do that? (my monitor with HDMI will))

Back