Decent RAID card under $100.00?

Nocturnal

Gawd
Looking to add a RAID controller to my ESXi box. Looking for one that's definitely compatible and that can do at least RAID1.

WIsh I could afford one of the high end Arecas but for now something under $100 will have to do. I'm willing to spend maybe $150 but other then that it's a little out of my league. I just have two hard drives that I want to mirror. Right now expansion is not really too much of a concern. Thanks guys!

M1015 on ebay. I just bought one from someone with a bunch and were listed at "$100 or make an offer". Raid 0,1,10 and flashable to HBA, along with LSI driver compatibility, and 6 Gb/s connections.

The M1015 is a very good card for the money.

If the OP is looking for a good raid5/6 card for this amount of money forget about it. On most real hardware raid cards the BBU costs more than that (although you can get some of these BBUs on eBay for cheap). And without a BBU most hw raid cards will be very slow. Sure on some possibly most you can turn on the write cache without a BBU but that can be dangerous. If you have a good UPS and your computer never ever crashes you may consider the risk. Also a RAID is no substitute for a backup so plan to have a separate backup for whatever you can not afford to loose.

No definitely not looking for 5/6. Just a solid RAID1 card is fine for now. It's something I plan to grow at a later time (Areca card) but for now while I'm just trying to get some things setup I plan to go with a solid RAID1 card.

I too am interested what a good "bang for the buck" RAID 1 card is for an esxi 4.1 setup. I like the price point of that Intel card linked previously but cannot get a straight answer on how compatible it is.

Back