Debian Seedbox Installation Tutorial

seancky2

Limp Gawd
I have been installing seedboxes for friends for little over a year now and would like to share this easy step by step installation procedure for everyone. This is mostly for record keeping for me by if it helps anyone in the future then so be it. This is assuming you are installing on a Debian install. The end result will yield uTorrent, sFTP, and VNC access.

I am not going to really explain anything, but all you need to do is copy and paste what the things inside the code box say and you should be good.

1. Login to root with Putty

2. Updates

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

3. Install Software

# apt-get install vnc4server wine xterm fluxbox vsftpd iceweasel vnstat
# update-menus

apt-get install xfonts-base xfonts-75dpi xfonts-100dpi
apt-get -t etch-backports install fluxbox

4. Create Users

# useradd -m user1
passwd user1

5. Log into the user you just created (user1)

$ mkdir .vnc
$ nano .vnc/xstartup

- insert this, then save and quit out of nano:
fluxbox & wine /home/user1/utorrent.exe /noinstall

$ chmod +x .vnc/xstartup

vnc4server -depth 24 :1

nano ~/.fluxbox/menu

-insert this, then save and quit out of nano:
[begin] (Fluxbox-1.0.0)
[encoding] {UTF-8}
[exec] (firefox) {firefox}
[exec] (xterm) {xterm}
[exec] (uTorrent) {wine ~/utorrent.exe /noinstall}
[submenu] (fluxbox menu)
[config] (Configure)
[submenu] (System Styles) {Choose a style...}
[stylesdir] (/usr/share/fluxbox/styles)
[end]
[submenu] (User Styles) {Choose a style...}
[stylesdir] (~/.fluxbox/styles)
[end]
[workspaces] (Workspace List)
[submenu] (Tools)
[exec] (Screenshot - JPG) {import screenshot.jpg && display -resize 50% screenshot.jpg}
[exec] (Screenshot - PNG) {import screenshot.png && display -resize 50% screenshot.png}
[exec] (Run) {fbrun }
[exec] (Regen Menu) {../util/fluxbox-generate_menu }
[end]
[submenu] (Window Managers)
[restart] (mwm) {mwm}
[restart] (kde) {startkde}
[end]
[commanddialog] (Fluxbox Command)
[reconfig] (Reload config)
[restart] (Restart)
[exec] (About) {(fluxbox -v; fluxbox -info | sed 1d) 2> /dev/null | xmessage -file - -center}
[separator]
[exit] (Exit)
[end]
[endencoding]
[end]

6. now open up an ftp client and login to user1 and upload an uTorrent.exe file to the user1 folder.

7. now download and open up tightvnc. type in your ip address:1, then your password

8. done! if you see a wine error just exit out, you won't see it again. if utorrent isn't already open, just right click desktop and select uTorrent. setup the webui and you are golden.

Last edited:
Meh.

I'd rather use Apache2 + rTorrent/ruTorrent (just finished helping a few friends compile that).

Because in my Linux boxes, I don't run WINE or Windows binaries. I run native apps.

The overhead just from running a de on a server is a bad idea when there are so many options. Not to mention running utorrent in wine, its just a bad idea. If you insist on running a de on your server use deluge. Everything utorrent offers and then some.

Sorry to all the haters, but the fact is there is a HUGE demand for uTorrent based seedboxes. Some people prefer it over rTorrent + webui. Furthermore, a uTorrent based seedbox is much easier to configure for multiple users (or even just one user in fact) than rTorrent is for a beginner. so....ya... and besides i have had no problem with wine and utorrent in the 2 years I have been using it.

And like i said, this was mostly just for personal documentation perhaps I should have put it in a diary or something here - does [H] even have a diary feature?

Wrong everything.

What a disgusting idea for a seedbox. Wine? uTorrent? VNC?

I can understand your ignorant hate towards wine and uTorrent...but VNC...really? why would you hate on VNC? It is a simple way to view the servers desktop.

The overhead just from running a de on a server is a bad idea when there are so many options. Not to mention running utorrent in wine, its just a bad idea. If you insist on running a de on your server use deluge. Everything utorrent offers and then some.

Many elite private trackers have banned deluge recently. When it comes down to it your only real options are rTorrent or uTorrent.

Last edited:
I can understand your ignorant hate towards wine and uTorrent...but VNC...really? why would you hate on VNC? It is a simple way to view the servers desktop.

No hate and hardly ignorant. Setting up rtorrent+rutorrent takes about the same amount of time and is easy. If anyone can follow this guide there is no reason they cannot install rtorrent. Vnc is a nice too but its really stupid for a real seedbox.

All that time to setup utorrent with the web gui and you suggest people use vnc.:rolleyes:

No hate and hardly ignorant. Setting up rtorrent+rutorrent takes about the same amount of time and is easy. If anyone can follow this guide there is no reason they cannot install rtorrent. Vnc is a nice too but its really stupid for a real seedbox.

All that time to setup utorrent with the web gui and you suggest people use vnc.:rolleyes:

you dont seem to understand why one would need VNC with a seedbox. have you really even used a seedbox you installed yourself, or even one you rented for that matter? :D because most every provider provides access to VNC, and also a lot of them offer uTorrent, torrentflux is probably the most popular but that interface is a waste of space imo.

what if you want to restart utorrent?
what if you want to fix an unresponsive webui?
what if you want to add an RSS url?
what if you want to create a torrent?

there are countless reasons why one would want to use VNC to access the actual client itself over the webui. right now the uTorrent webui does not support all the advanced features the actual client does - so you need a way to access it! I think the new v2.0 client has a webui that has all these features but imo anything above v1.8.5 is garbage and most are banned on trackers.

+1 for fluxbox. :D

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not :D but yes, fluxbox does the job fine and is super simple and light on resources. i dont need any "pretty" looking GUI to just hog up precious memory.

I would like to learn about installation of rTorrent + a webui that explains how to config multiple users - the multiple users part is something I could never figure out, so if you could provide me a link it would be much appreciated. But honestly, uTorrent has caused no trouble for me and I can do all of its installation including setting up 4 other ursers in under 10 minutes without thinking.

I would REALLY like to learn a way to write some sort of a script to do all of this for me. Does anyone know where I can begin on learning how to do this? It would be so so so very appreciated!

Last edited:
you dont seem to understand why one would need VNC with a seedbox. have you really even used a seedbox you installed yourself, or even one you rented for that matter? :D because most every provider provides access to VNC, and also a lot of them offer uTorrent, torrentflux is probably the most popular but that interface is a waste of space imo.

what if you want to restart utorrent?
what if you want to fix an unresponsive webui?
what if you want to add an RSS url?
what if you want to create a torrent?

there are countless reasons why one would want to use VNC to access the actual client itself over the webui. right now the uTorrent webui does not support all the advanced features the actual client does - so you need a way to access it! I think the new v2.0 client has a webui that has all these features but imo anything above v1.8.5 is garbage and most are banned on trackers.

You just dont get it, i am really sorry for you. The only reason you need VNC is because you where stupid and used utorrent. :rolleyes:

Also half of your examples can be achieved from the rutorrent WebUI. You cant create a torrent or add RSS feeds from the utorrent WebGUI?

Its just a very sloppy setup. If you want to hold yourself back because you dont know any better thats fine but you shouldnt be making guides to help others make the same mistakes.

Go to any of the high end private trackers and they will tell you your messy setup is just silly and to buckle down and learn to make a proper seedbox. It would run soooo much faster if you didnt have wine + VNC + a DE running.

i dont need any "pretty" looking GUI to just hog up precious memory.

/facepalm says the guy running a DE at all on a seedbox thats a really stupid comment.

I would like to learn about installation of rTorrent + a webui that explains how to config multiple users - the multiple users part is something I could never figure out, so if you could provide me a link it would be much appreciated. But honestly, uTorrent has caused no trouble for me and I can do all of its installation including setting up 4 other ursers in under 10 minutes without thinking.

I would REALLY like to learn a way to write some sort of a script to do all of this for me. Does anyone know where I can begin on learning how to do this? It would be so so so very appreciated!

Why would you even need support for multiple users? Thats the whole idea behind the WebGUI.

Oh and since you asked i run a seedbox in my home with rtorrent + Rutorrent. Headless with no messy DE, wine or VNC and i can do more than you ever could with your messy setup.

man you just browse threads to start confrontations don't you? let's take a look at your warm welcome, your very first response
Wrong everything.

What a disgusting idea for a seedbox. Wine? uTorrent? VNC?
nice to meet you too!

1) i said at least twice this was more of a diary for me and if it helps anyone then so be it. i never claimed it to be the best setup nor did i say it was the only way.
seancky2 said:
This is mostly for record keeping for me by if it helps anyone in the future then so be it

2) i kindly requested you to provide information on how to configure rtorrent for multiple users, yet you just come back here slinging insults left and right bringing nothing to the conversation.
seancky2 said:
I would like to learn about installation of rTorrent + a webui that explains how to config multiple users - the multiple users part is something I could never figure out, so if you could provide me a link it would be much appreciated.

3) no you can't create torrents with the uTorrent webui...but you know what? I like uTorrent and have had NO problems, and again there are MANY people who like uTorrent as well and dont mind emulating it in wine. you've got to be some sort of a fanboy or something because you just have this nagging hatred towards anything with wine or uTorrent yet you have failed to give any reasons why - not that I even care, your own opinion. i pay $70+ a month for this hardware and ill do as i wish with it and continue doing what works for me. but once again please refer to point #2

4) you say go to any high end trackers, buddy i've been in the scene since the mid 90's. if you wanna compare e-peens ill show you my tracker profiles- i bet you'd start asking me for invites.

seriously bring something to the table or just gtfo you are getting tiring.

Disposed said:
/facepalm says the guy running a DE at all on a seedbox thats a really stupid comment.
obviously i need some sort of DE, since i use VNC. do you even know what fluxbox is (try not to google it buddy)? fluxbox is probably the best option you can pick. just another example of your nit-picky, god complex little mind at its best.

Oh and since you asked i run a seedbox in my home with rtorrent + Rutorrent. Headless with no messy DE, wine or VNC and i can do more than you ever could with your messy setup.
so what kind of connection is it on? since you say its at home i highly doubt you are on a gig line or even 100mbit for that matter. so yes, i can do way more with my "messy setup" - but did i even come here to compare, i don't think so..?

Why would you even need support for multiple users? Thats the whole idea behind the WebGUI.
let us think critically...why would someone want multiple users on a server? maybe so more than one user can access their own webui with their own folders and own settings? I share a 1gb line and 1.5TB HD with 3 other people - i dont want to see someone elses torrents.

Last edited:
Oh and you also cant seem to figure out the right subforum for this junk either. Do you need an explanation on what virtualized computing is too?

Been in the scene since the mid 90s, has a 1 gig line and uses utorrent in wine... Not to mention 1.5 tb shared by 4 people... Just because you have been doing it for a long time dont mean you know wtf you are doing. I get reminded this daily.

http://forums.rutorrent.org/index.php?topic=87.0

ur just a dick man. and you wont catch me saying that often. care to respond to anything else i wrote?

now what else have you found wrong with having a 1g line, 1.5tb hd, and sharing a server with friends? does anything make you happy or excited in life?

would it be non noob of me to have a 1.1gig line 1.51tb hd and share it with my half brother instead?

ur just a dick man. and you wont catch me saying that often. care to respond to anything else i wrote?

now what else have you found wrong with having a 1g line, 1.5tb hd, and sharing a server with friends? does anything make you happy or excited in life?

Whats to respond to? Instead of logical reasoning you reduced it to a pissing match. Your connection or memberships dont make you right and if you are trying to come off as super scene guy with a 1.5TB drive split 4 ways on your seedbox then its just a big fucking joke.

Am i supposed to respond to you calling me a fanboy because you think i hate wine or utorrent? I use utorrent on my windows boxes all the time and have for many years and use wine on my linux boxes. Its just a retarded combination for a seedbox.

i'm not trying to prop myself off as a scene guy - i just find it kind of funny that anything i say i have or have done is just not good enough for you... or the wrong way in your opinion - i still don't understand whats wrong with having 1.5tb of hd space or a gig line..? i ask for details and instructions and you'd rather spew out more hatred, i force you to realize what youre doing and you post a link like its no big thing. you my friend are the one who made it into a pissing match.

instead of responding why you feel it is a "retarded" combination for a seedbox, you yet again just would rather bring nothing constructive to the convo - it works fine and many people use it. the fact is you just dont like it and i get the feeling in your world its your way or its the wrong way.

and all i wanted to do was put some instructions down in a permanent place and potentially help someone out... the real reason why i wanted to put it here is so i could use the quotation feature for the code.

i see people like you all the time on the internet. i don't know what you guys get out of it but you're just full of rage man, i bet if i were to look at your history there would be a very obvious trend in your tone.

EDIT:
10 mins later...well my theory was unsurprisingly correct.
Disposed said:
I can tell you without any doubt that you have no clue at all WTF you are talking about and should probably just STFU and do a little reading first.

Just out of curiosity you are still a teenager arent you?
i would like to ask you something similar, have you found a soul mate that can stand your nonstop shitty attitude?

Disposed said:
I said the joke was for pompous shitheads if you read any further into that then i dont know what to tell you.

Disposed said:
Which makes it twice as stupid to use it to market something to the mass public who as a whole are fucking retarded.

Disposed said:
You must have a 4th grade education if you cant understand what i said.

"The joke is for pompous shitheads" does not = "Durr i dont get it"

Fucking people... Why bother reading when we can interpret shit the way we want, its more fun that way i suppose.

Disposed said:
all this shit you keep saying about how because she dont have custody she has no rights is plain wrong. Your arguing back and forth and your whole argument is based on pure ignorance.

Disposed said:
The general attitude from you in the whole thread is hostile not just the title. Like everyone else i dont see the issue here at all.
speak for yourself...
Disposed said:
You explain how you can remotely connect to a desktop when its not yet running...
Disposed said:
Take the tinfoil hat off and do some research.

Disposed said:
you need new glasses or something.

Disposed said:
If it lacks the power to smoothly move the fucking mouse or even open the start menu in less than 3 seconds it will NOT play video. Not slow or choppy but not at all...

Not that it matters since i could probably shove an ipad with win95 in your face and you would probably still not believe it.

Win95 on the iphone is old news yet for some reason you dont believe it can work on the ipad?

Why dont you explain your reasoning so you dont just look like a crazy person?

i could go on and on man.... it's actually kind of amusing looking at your history.

now, im not saying i've never attacked anyone here but you seriously have a very long and solid streak in doing so... its just sad and unwelcome...you havn't even been here that long do you really just sit at your computer browsing tech forums to release some stress or are you always like this...you have like an 8 post per day avg in the 1/5 months u'v been here and i'd say its safe to assume you haven't brought anything worthwhile to any conversation.

are you a bitter old man or a tween w raging hormones that needs to get layed asap?

Last edited:
i find it amusing you wont even respond now..i guess that's the end of that

i know you would love to unleash though ;)

I'm actually going to have to agree with Disposed in this case. It doesn't make sense to me why you would have a server running any sort of desktop environment. If I were to set up a seedbox, I'd xen-debian minimal install, create a vm with deb minimal, get rtorrent + (light web server like nginx reverse proxy), ssh and that's it.

The more stuff you add to your server, the more vulnerable it is, not to mention slower.

once again..... i understand some people have different setups, this is how i do it. do i need to make a bold disclaimer in the OP? I use uTorrent and right now the WebUI is missing some features. because of this i NEED a DE Yes, I know i could do away with this with rtorrent

regardless i use a very lightweight DE. i shouldn't even need to worry about memory use, i have plenty of ram it's either 3 or 4GB.

it's like the people who kill every single service in their windows install to save memory, yet they have 8GB of ram. in this day and age we can afford to use some resources if they are useful!

Last edited:
i find it amusing you wont even respond now..i guess that's the end of that

i know you would love to unleash though ;)

Are you really trying to troll me for more responses?

I gave up, you are clearly pretty clueless and just dont seem to get it.

BTW lightweight DE still = 100% too much DE.

you shouldn't have even been "trying" anything in the first place that would give you a reason to give up

you're still a bitter lonely person :D

Back