Dead X58 motherboard... replace or other socket?

After 2 years & 3 weeks my Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard suddenly died on me. Kinda leaves a bitter taste since its just out of warrenty.

I was running this in combo with an i7 920 D0. Half the time it was running on 3.8ghz.

My question: Would you replace the mobo with another decent X58 board or would you change socket?

Honestly, i'm a little out of touch with the current hardware options available , been looking at some reviews and the intel roadmap of 2012 but i'm still undecided to go with sandy bridge.
On the other hand X58 boards aren't exactly cheap either & it is a dead socket ...

Any thoughts? What would you do?

Thanks

Sell the i7 920 -- you'll get about $170 for it on eBay. Then buy an i7 2600K + Z68 mobo (make sure it's Ivy Bridge compatible). You'll be very, very happy.

If you'd like to save money though, used x58 boards are dirt cheap.

Find an ASUS Rampage III Formula.

I love mine, simplest 4.1 GHz overclock I ever did.

or.........like others have said, sell the CPU and either go S1155 or S2011.:D

step 1: preheat oven to 385f
step 2: get her ready to get all hot
seriously though, after reading this thread, I have a few dead mb's I wanna throw in an oven somewhere! just not my oven :D

Not sure if you are a "diy" kinda person, but I just might have to try this in your situation.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1421792&highlight=bake+oven

+1

Bake it and see if you can get it working again. No real reason to spend money to upgrade from a 920 to a 2500k if you can fix the current board. And just replacing the board won't cost as much as upgrading to Sandy Bridge. I personally did go from a 920 to a 2600k and I don't see 'that' much of an improvement. I only upgraded because I sold my old system to a friend so he could save money upgrading.

yea if funds are slim an open box on newegg or a used x58 board on the forums would be the way to go..for 100.00 bucks you could be up and running..

After 2 years & 3 weeks my Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard suddenly died on me. Kinda leaves a bitter taste since its just out of warrenty.

I was running this in combo with an i7 920 D0. Half the time it was running on 3.8ghz.

My question: Would you replace the mobo with another decent X58 board or would you change socket?

Honestly, i'm a little out of touch with the current hardware options available , been looking at some reviews and the intel roadmap of 2012 but i'm still undecided to go with sandy bridge.
On the other hand X58 boards aren't exactly cheap either & it is a dead socket ...

Any thoughts? What would you do?

Thanks

I'd just replace the board, $169.99 is a lot cheaper than buying a $200 CPU on top of a $150 motherboard.

Just looking at it from a "I have no money" perspective.

If you have the cash, then you can blow it on a new CPU and board, probably a heatsink as well, the very least a new bracket for the 1155 socket.

Are you sure it is out of warranty?

The box to my X58A UD3R says 3 years. I'm guessing the higher end model would have the same or better.

If you can find an X-58 board for under $125, I'd probably go that route just to save money.

Otherwise, the D0's still sell very well. You could probably almost recoup the cost of a 2500K, and you're left just buying a board again, plus RAM.

Back