DEAD - WD Black SN850X 4TB - $237 for Prime Members - delivery 4/3-4/5

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
yeah I bought a 990 Pro 4tB for 279 at Microcenter. I thought that was a great price.

That's a pretty good deal, seeins how the prices are rapidly rising ATM...

If I hadn't bought a very large qty back in December for $203 (some from da Zon, others from WD Direct), I would be jumpin on this before they go any higher :D

I got it for $229.95 from Amazon during a post-Christmas sale last December after my then new Crucial T700 4TB got fried in an electrical incident.

Amazon is now sold out for direct purchase and is listing it for $249.99 from the cheapest third party vendor.

Still haven’t installed my 850X and 990 pro from Black Friday but this is definitely the best price since then.

Also kicking myself for not buying a few 980pro and 850X for $50 for 1TB OS boot drives.

You can get the 990 Pro 4TB without the heatsink on samsungs website direct for $255.99 using the promo code "SSD990PROLCS"....League of lLegends esports promo code. Would definitely recommend it over the 850x for the small difference in cost, pretty much the best SSD you can get atm without the ridiculousness that is PCI-E 5.0 power/heat...

You can get the 990 Pro 4TB without the heatsink on samsungs website direct for $255.99 using the promo code "SSD990PROLCS"....League of lLegends esports promo code. Would definitely recommend it over the 850x for the small difference in cost, pretty much the best SSD you can get atm without the ridiculousness that is PCI-E 5.0 power/heat...
I have a 990 so this isn't a dig at Samsung. But aren't they very similar in performance? If someone asked me I would just tell them to get whichever is cheaper.

I have a 990 so this isn't a dig at Samsung. But aren't they very similar in performance? If someone asked me I would just tell them to get whichever is cheaper.
Yes. Some would argue Samsung is the OG and has the best reliability - that is a strong argument. However, WD is no slouch. I have both. The 990 Pro is faster but not my enough to factor it in when price is similar.

In fact, I think the 990 was released due to the pressure by the SN850X?

Last edited:

I don't think it is better than the SN850x and I still don't re-trust Samsung completely after their firmware screwups and how they solved them.

Some would argue Samsung is the OG and has the best reliability - that is a strong argument.

Is it? Samsung has had a string of bad firmware releases where they ultimately screwed over customers. Not just once, iirc. I would actually take this WD (or even some older but reliable controllers) over a Samsung, to be honest, price being equal. Most NVME SSDs are so close together in real world performance, that I care more about reliability than some pointless cutting edge performance margins.

Is it? Samsung has had a string of bad firmware releases where they ultimately screwed over customers. Not just once, iirc. I would actually take this WD (or even some older but reliable controllers) over a Samsung, to be honest, price being equal. Most NVME SSDs are so close together in real world performance, that I care more about reliability than some pointless cutting edge performance margins.
They've had a rough year+ but I would say overall they have been the gold standard. Nothing against WD, of course.

Don't get me wrong, the sn850X is a good drive. But in terms of overall well rounded performance, the 990 pro seems to be one of the best drives in the majority of categories. While other drives are hit or miss, excel in one, fall behind in another. Here's a few images from StorageReview, which has separate consumer and enterprise drive reviews. Pretty much the main reason I went with the 990 Pro 2TB and canceled my 850X 4tb I had on order a few months back when it was on sale for just over $200. Once again, the 850X is not a bad drive, but it's random read/write performance leaves a bit to be desired...Sequential most drives are similar, but as my OS drive, went with the stronger candidate in random performance with lower latency. Especially considering I run a lot of github python applications that have a boatload of small files being pulled. But to each his own...For a game drive, probably wouldn't make much of a difference at all.

In terms of samsung though, yea, they def have screwed the pooch in terms of firmware....But seems to have stabled out. I won't hold that against them for years of stellar SSD's....Unlike Seagate, who continually screws the pooch in terms of hard drive reliability =P. Won't touch those even with any of your wallets, my data too valuable to me to lose.

StorageReview-Samsung-990-Pro-4TB-RndRead-4K.png

StorageReview-Samsung-990-Pro-4TB-RndWrite-4K.png

StorageReview-Samsung-990-Pro-4TB-SeqRead-64k.png

StorageReview-Samsung-990-Pro-4TB-SeqWrite-64k.png

Full samsung review if you want the link....Wish they would of reviewed the 4tb of the SN850x...But alas they only did the 2tb. But expect there not to be much difference, just like the 2tb > 4tb 990.

https://www.storagereview.com/review/samsung-990-pro-4tb-ssd-review

Don't get me wrong, the sn850X is a good drive. But in terms of overall well rounded performance, the 990 pro seems to be one of the best drives in the majority of categories. While other drives are hit or miss, excel in one, fall behind in another. Here's a few images from StorageReview, which has separate consumer and enterprise drive reviews. Pretty much the main reason I went with the 990 Pro 2TB and canceled my 850X 4tb I had on order a few months back when it was on sale for just over $200. Once again, the 850X is not a bad drive, but it's random read/write performance leaves a bit to be desired...Sequential most drives are similar, but as my OS drive, went with the stronger candidate in random performance with lower latency. Especially considering I run a lot of github python applications that have a boatload of small files being pulled. But to each his own...For a game drive, probably wouldn't make much of a difference at all.

In terms of samsung though, yea, they def have screwed the pooch in terms of firmware....But seems to have stabled out. I won't hold that against them for years of stellar SSD's....Unlike Seagate, who continually screws the pooch in terms of hard drive reliability =P. Won't touch those even with any of your wallets, my data too valuable to me to lose.

View attachment 644013
View attachment 644014
View attachment 644015

View attachment 644016

Full samsung review if you want the link....Wish they would of reviewed the 4tb of the SN850x...But alas they only did the 2tb. But expect there not to be much difference, just like the 2tb > 4tb 990.

https://www.storagereview.com/review/samsung-990-pro-4tb-ssd-review
There was actually a test done including the WDSN850X and it performed better than all drives on the market. When the rest clogged up and bogged down the WD drive just keep blazing through everything. It's unstoppable through any rigorous testing. I can never remember the website that tested though lol.

There was actually a test done including the WDSN850X and it performed better than all drives on the market. When the rest clogged up and bogged down the WD drive just keep blazing through everything. It's unstoppable through any rigorous testing. I can never remember the website that tested though lol.
I think it was wd.com. :D

Don't get me wrong, the sn850X is a good drive. But in terms of overall well rounded performance, the 990 pro seems to be one of the best drives in the majority of categories
There was an interesting series of tests that showed 30-50% drop in speed for sequential writes with the Samsung 990 Pro, following a 20% capacity copy (which for lower capacity drives could be just a single game download), that persists for 2-6 hours and after TRIM and system reboot. The WD SN850X fared the near the best in all tests in this regard, only dropping 3-7%.

B-b-but GRAPHS! :D

How often are you making files that are 20% of the disk size?
I just this last weekend I transferred 1Tb from a hard drive to a SN,850X. That's 25% of the drive.

If you have a smaller drive 1 game could choke up the process.

Look at the G G G Graph the poster above you posted 🤔😃

What if it's for professional work that people do regularly? Why take the poopie drives when the best is right there, just get SN850X and know you have the best drive period. Just sayin 😁

Both my 2TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus (OS - 2yr old) and HP EX950 (Game drive - 3 yr old) have write degradation.
OOB seq. writes were over 3000 MB/s, but now 2300 MB/s with plenty of unused space. The Samsung has never been filled above 50% or abused with stress tests.
I'll aim for a WD going forward. If I remember to will try and RMA before warranty expires.

Annoyingly still waiting for mine to ship. Amazon has had stock in since Monday for next day delivery, but it still hasn't shipped.

Annoyingly still waiting for mine to ship. Amazon has had stock in since Monday for next day delivery, but it still hasn't shipped.
Just Amazon doing Amazon things. Subscribe to super Uber prime and spend $100 minimum to get the same level of service everyone else provides for free.

Just Amazon doing Amazon things. Subscribe to super Uber prime and spend $100 minimum to get the same level of service everyone else provides for free.

I have Prime though lol and this deal required it.

Back