DC Vault 2

Excellent news, good work everyone!

Edit: just noticed DIMES is part of Miscellaneous, so I have actually contributed to this, even if it's only a little :p

I think that is the case CaptainUnlikely, but I haven't ventured there yet. I'm trying not to irritate my ISP just yet. I will probably play with Majestic-12 in the near future though. Give it a shot and let me know how it turns out. I see Razor_FX_II already has some large numbers there.

I should have some time this evening to have a play with it. I have a fairly fast unlimited connection so I don't anticipate too many problems in that respect, although I may have to schedule it not to run at peak times as there is a threshold after which my connection is slowed for a few hours.
I'll post results once I've checked it out.

My concern is that whole disclosure that my ISP says it doesn't want my non-commercial account to be hosting web servers and such. They may flag this behavior. I will test the water cautiously before diving right in. :)

I may have congratulated the team too early. Apparently DIMES's stats are messed up. DC Vault has us listed as 13 but we are actually 19th. So, we will see what happens when they get it all figured out.

Last edited:
Is Majestic-12 CPU intensive, or just network intensive?
Both.:eek:
MJ-12 can use all your bandwidth depending on how many nodes and workers per node you run. (there are settings to lower or stop crawling at peak times and limit daily bandwidth usage in the preferences of the node)
MJ-12 is CPU intensive to run the crawlers and especially for archiving compression which can be adjusted to some degree.
I run 20 nodes at about 5mbit (150 workers) each for a total of 100mbit bandwidth down and use about 10mbit up.
Each node will use 2 virtual processors cores or 1 real core. you may be able to squeeze 6-7 nodes on a good quadcore if set up properly. (I run 10 nodes in Hyper-V OS's per 6 and 8 core Windows 2008 R2 DataCenter servers. Each node runs on virtual Server 2008 R2 for efficiency and network performance)
MJ-12 will need about 256-512MBytes (depending on number of workers) of ram to run plus your OS ram usage.
Majestic-12 runs only once per OS with a maximum usable bandwidth reliably 10-20mbit (200-300 workers (anything over 400 workers makes the node fairly unstable)).
Many MJ-12 members run virtual Linux but I like to use Server and Hyper-V.
Extremely good router is a must. Most MJ-12 members run pfSense routers on separate hardware but I have manged to successfully run it under Hyper-V along with my virtual nodes).
Good network cards are important also - I highly recommend Intel on all connections.
If a switch is going to be used then again quality will help - I use only Cisco but many others will work fine.
Primary and secondary DNS server (forwarders) selection are very important as to not get your ISP upset and crawl with accurate results. (most use Google 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) - I run my own primary & secondary DNS servers with my ISP as first forwarder and Google as my secondary) - pfSense also has DNS forwarder service built in.

MJ-12 is a business but it is not your business nor are you an employee of MJ-12.
If you receive a kickback from helping the project then that is all it is - you are not running a Tax numbered business and you do not receive tax documents at the end of the year.

I can spend some time later today and work up suggested settings and a guide for Windows setups if your interested.

Thanks for the info Razor, very helpful indeed. From reading their forums I had started to gather that it might be fairly CPU intensive too, I think my skim reading of their web page at first gave me the impression it was mainly network based but I understand it a little better now.
I have a 60 down/3 up connection, will be using an Intel NIC, and will be getting a decent router at some point, so I should be fine running MJ12, right?
Sounds like it won't be worth running it on my laptop, though.

I would be very interested in a guide if you have time to put one together, it sounds like an interesting project and one that I will definitely get involved in when I have my PC built.

Man, the Vault needs to get the stats figured out. They now have us listed as ranked 1681 at DIMES which puts us at 7th place instead of our normal place.

When I checked earlier today, DIMES stats were still messed up - individual stats were fine, which wasn't the case last night, but team stats were completely whacked. I imagine the Vault stats just haven't picked up on DIMES stats being back in shape yet.

I hit my 1 million point goal at Albert@home. That makes 16 projects now to hit that goal.

Well..my wife has finally started complaining about the $400/month electric bills. I think I will have to cut back some of my production for a few months. :(

Last edited:
ABC has limited work in the hopper. Get them while they are hot or else they will be gone quickly from those who keep large ques.

On a side note, I got another borged machine running DIMES. :)

Last edited:
WCG started a Beta test of the VINA application for Android devices today

Beta Testing VINA on Android Devices - July 9, 2013
https://secure.worldcommunitygrid.org/forums/wcg/viewthread_thread,35344

Not to be a killjoy for Berkeley, but if you attach to WCG with nativeBOINC, you can get the BETA work as well. I haven't ran the work unit yet, but my phone has one.

I missed the other BETA release. I was away on a computer repair call.

My first work unit returned on my Droid Bionic took 7.62 hours to complete and I'm finishing my second work unit now.

Last edited:
CaptainUnlikely, I don't know if you are interested in WCG or badges, but this would be an opportunity to work on the hard to obtain BETA badges over there. They are still doing BETA testing on ARM and though they aren't sponsoring nativeBOINC, it does still work on it.

Not too fussed about badges, I would give WCG a try to see how my phone handles it on NativeBOINC but it's very hot here, and my phone gets too hot to crunch on anyway. When I have time, possibly this weekend, I'll get a custom ROM and custom kernel on it to give me some options for clock speed to control the heat, but until then I won't be crunching on it. I have a tablet which is crunching 24/7 which I may switch around projects on, it's just stayed on its original project so far.

NativeBOINC installed on my dual core Galaxy S3, two SN2S betas and WUProp running, 2 FAAH betas queued up waiting... Now to try my older Galaxy Tab... edit - Tab up and running, too!

On a side note, if I install Dimes, is that going to affect my quad already running 4 WCG WUs and MUON at the same time?

Also found a e8400 core2duo to swap out with my q9550 to test the theory that my CPU might have a bad core... Swapped out the SS sata cable, froze after 52 minutes of Prime 95. So far 3 hours Prime 95 stable - keep your fingers crossed!

Last edited:
I haven't seen Dimes use more than 1-2% very intermittently on my setup, it seems to be very much NCI and not interfere with other projects.

Fingers crossed for your stability :)

I have a radiator, some cables and a fan on order, when I get paid this month I will also get some cashback I've been waiting for, so assuming what I need is in stock, which it isn't right now, I'll then order my second CPU block, 2 x 7970s, 2 x blocks, and the last bits and bobs I need to finally get my system running. My case is being picked up next week to be sent off for some custom cutting to accommodate all this.

Edit: oh, and the gf's replacing her phone this month, probably with a Nexus 4, so that'll be another addition to our NativeBOINC arsenal. If she keeps her old phone as a spare then that can crunch 24/7, it's a Sony Xperia P so it's a 1.5GHz dual core, not too shabby.

Great additions team.

Jathanis, if you need dual cores (processors) I may have a few laying around. My job donates dual cores (systems) now and the parted out ones usually find a new home in my office. These of course are starting to be used to upgrade friends, family, and the needy. If you need one or two, let me know.

Last edited:
I haven't seen Dimes use more than 1-2% very intermittently on my setup, it seems to be very much NCI and not interfere with other projects.

Fingers crossed for your stability :)

Great additions team.

Jathanis, if you need dual cores (processors) I may have a few laying around. My job donates dual cores (systems) now and the parted out ones usually find a new home in my office. These of course are starting to be used to upgrade friends, family, and the needy. If you need one or two, let me know.

Captain: thanks, and thanks - so far so good!

Gilthanis: Well, I'll let you know this weekend, but with the borrowed E8400 in there right now, I'm at 22 hours of Prime95 torture testing rock solid - so I'm guessing I'll likely take you up on the offer. Since I'm going to be gone most of tomorrow, I figured I'd let it go, and if I come up 48 hours good, I'm going to declare what you said, a bad CPU core, and move on. As much as I'd hate to downgrade from a quad to a duo, the only quad I can find under a $100 is an old q6600 (still a good chip, mind you, still running in my other machine), but as this system was supposed to go to my daughter for her school work when I upgraded my machine to SB, IB or Haswell, a core 2 duo would be more thna enough for her Word, email and Minecraft!

Well, unless they withhold time credit for WUs pending validation like they withhold points, it looks like my GFAM push came up 30 hours short... Last time I try to fill a queue to meet a deadline for a badge! I had at least 2 days of work expire due to deadlines, too, or I would have made it easily... :(

And just as an update - I looked at my WCG stats for the first time in weeks, and I somehow came up with an extra 50 hours, and got my 180 day goal by one day! :D Woohoo!

(I think I might have an addiction here...)

Out of nowhere, it's now been decided that we're moving our bedroom into the living room, and the bedroom can then be my "computer stuff room". So on payday, those servers will be mine! (For real this time).

Jathanis, that is good news about WCG. I will try and take inventory sometime this weekend on the processors I have at my disposal. There are probably a few different ones and some boards my be touchy on the chip. Let me know your motherboard model and I will see if I got something compatible.

CaptainUnlikely, that is also good news that you will have your farm/pharm up and running sooner.

Well, it's now official - 48 full hours Prime95, no crashes, 100% stability at no higher than a brief 51* on one of the two cores...
  • Worker #1: Torture test completed 1620 test in 48 hours, 17 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.
  • Worker #2: Torture test completed 1633 test in 48 hours, 17 minutes - 0 errors, 0 warnings.
And just in time for the Steam summer sale... :D Of course, BOINC is already loaded with WCG & WUProp and going strong, too...

Gilthanis, the motherboard I'm running is a old Asus P5N-D, and is running an E8400 stock @ 3.0Ghz no problem. I'd be happy to take anything you have that can keep this up and running for a while, and would be glad to kick down some bucks to cover it/shipping/time...

Out of nowhere, it's now been decided that we're moving our bedroom into the living room, and the bedroom can then be my "computer stuff room". So on payday, those servers will be mine! (For real this time).

11 x servers are now en route. I lost the deal on upgrading them to quads on the cheap, but I have 2 quads here and 2 more on the way that were nice and cheap. I may wait and pick quads up when they pop up, I might upgrade to slightly faster and lower power duals for £3/CPU, or I may just bite the bullet and go for quads at a slightly higher price. I have some RAM here and will be getting more nearer the end of the month when some money comes in. I wanted to get in on the servers because, illogical as it may seem as they've been on for months without selling, I have a weird fear that they would've be gone by payday now I finally had the money.
Heading to Ikea on Saturday for an unrelated reason so I'm picking up some tables to make LackRacks! Should be fun :) a 24 port switch is also on the cards for future expansion.
My case was collected today for modding, again when money rolls in later this month I'll be buying the rest of the parts I need for my SR-2 at last. My gf is probably also upgrading her laptop to a quad core XPS which I'll have to monitor load temps first before I decide how much it can crunch, but I'm sure it'll be doing something.

I'll definitely document the process, they should be here by Wednesday or Thursday and we are doing the room swap this weekend. The switch and powerline adapters may have to wait a little so I don't think they'll be operational for 2-3 weeks, then I'll be "burning them in" on F@H for a team I used to fold for first, but then they'll be BOINCing for the [H]. They'll have to run only overnight though due to the cost of electricity, it's over twice the price during the day so I'll have to restrict running hours to keep the costs down.

For those running ARM processors, WCG has now released FAAH Vina work units. SN2S still has some BETA going out, so manage your devices accordingly. Since I'm taking this opportunity to push badges (and by far the hardest badge of all ... BETA) I have had to make changes to my project selection.

For those running ARM processors, WCG has now released FAAH Vina work units. SN2S still has some BETA going out, so manage your devices accordingly. Since I'm taking this opportunity to push badges (and by far the hardest badge of all ...

Yeah, I got some FAAH Vina betas last weekend, but only about 40 hours or so. Been running the SN2S enough to get over 100 hours on WUProp toward a badge there. More FAAH popped up on my Galaxy S3, but none so far on my older Galaxy Tab... Would love to get 100 WUProp hours on Vina, too!

Yeah, I got some FAAH Vina betas last weekend, but only about 40 hours or so. Been running the SN2S enough to get over 100 hours on WUProp toward a badge there. More FAAH popped up on my Galaxy S3, but none so far on my older Galaxy Tab... Would love to get 100 WUProp hours on Vina, too!

Well, the SN2S still have BETA's, so I recommend hitting those if you can't get BETA work from FAAH. No need wasting a BETA badge upgrade when the VINA's will continue to run later. :D

Einstein@home now has an Android app as well.

Last edited:
I have a Sony Xperia P dedicated to NativeBOINC now, the gf has upgraded to a tasty Note II (which will hopefully crunch when charging).
Servers will be delivered next Friday, tomorrow we are moving things around so that everything is ready.
I have 3 x Lack tables ready to rack them up in, a 24 port switch and some powerline adapters on the way, miscellaneous other items like RAM and CPUs in the post, and all I need are a bunch of Ethernet cables now, oh and a desk fan to hopefully move warmer air towards the window.
I've arranged to buy 2 x 7970s for my main rig, should be getting those in the next week or two.
I'll start a new thread for my overhaul and share some pictures there when I start :)

If we keep our DIMES production at this pace, we should jump 4 spots within the next month and a half. I plan on adding a few more soon.

Back