Creative X-fi won't show more than stereo speakers via SPD/IF

Question: Should I let it run autoupdate? Installing now, just did first reboot.

OK Astral, i have 5.1 (and it's echoing to my stereo speakers like it did before) so here's the test.

Will it still be here when I reboot or will it go back to 2.1 again? Let's see!

Even if it works this means I won't be able to separate out my comms to just the speakers but I can live with that if 5.1 truly stays working.

Checking now.

It seems stable and my receiver is showing Dolby Digital and survived multiple reboots, so maybe I won't have to send it back after all.

The dumb thing is MAYBE it was working all this time and all I had to do was simply choose speakers and not Optical out.

And that does mean I can't seperate out speakers and comms, which sucks but I can deal.

Weird.

Still don't know if it's safe to let it auto update tho!

Thanks to all who helped, especially Astral who finally got me a setup that worked!

It seems stable and my receiver is showing Dolby Digital and survived multiple reboots, so maybe I won't have to send it back after all.

The dumb thing is MAYBE it was working all this time and all I had to do was simply choose speakers and not Optical out.

And that does mean I can't seperate out speakers and comms, which sucks but I can deal.

Weird.

Still don't know if it's safe to let it auto update tho!

Uninstall auto update. It's pointless as there hasn't been an updated driver in 2 years. No good can come of it, haha.

Don't think you can seperate them. I use a USB headset so I bypassed the issue. I only have a mono headset on one ear.

I'd say if you're not happy at this point you might want to return it. You're using it the same way I always have and the only way it's worked for me. Other option is to try the front audio connection and see if it allows you to seperate it out, or go the USB route like I did.

Glad it's working though! :cool:

Actually I just looked at the back. There is NO Realtek HDMI out. Just an optical and a single RCA jack, is that composite or something /boggle

I already called and got an RMA set, this piece of shit is going back. BUT I will try your links one more time astral, after unistalllting everything one more time...

I was under the impression you were using optical out, not HDMI. Anyway, looks like its working now.

Yup, thanks KoH. I have 10 days to see if Astral's fix sticks.

I will disable auto update and see if it keeps working, otherwise it's a simple box up and trip to fedex for my full return.

I'm leaning towards keeping it but it's a big expense to not be fully satisfied with.

Back