CPUZ on Core 2 Duo

CanesVenetici

Limp Gawd
HI, I just built a system for a friend and I'm sitting here scratching my head.
System specs are:
MSI P6N sli platinum
Core2duo E6420
2 gigs Gskill DDR2
EVGA 8600 GTS superclocked
running xp sp2

My problem is that when I use cpuz to check the core clock it says 1600 and might briefly jump to 2133 then back to 1600 again. I'd like to overclock this, but since I don't know for sure what it's running that's kinda difficult.
This is the first intel build I've ever done, not sure if I botched something or not.
Any help would be appreciated

HI, I just built a system for a friend and I'm sitting here scratching my head.
System specs are:
MSI P6N sli platinum
Core2duo E6420
2 gigs Gskill DDR2
EVGA 8600 GTS superclocked
running xp sp2

My problem is that when I use cpuz to check the core clock it says 1600 and might briefly jump to 2133 then back to 1600 again. I'd like to overclock this, but since I don't know for sure what it's running that's kinda difficult.
This is the first intel build I've ever done, not sure if I botched something or not.
Any help would be appreciated

This is C1E in action so it's normal. Just run something which load the cpu like Orthos and it will get up to 2133 MHz. Just look at the multiplier which get to 6x at idle and 8x under load.

If you want to disable this, go in the bios and disable EIST and C1E (Speedstep).

Yep...looks like C1E or EIST. As noted, if you disable it you should be fine. One way you can test to see if that's it is to have a program like Orthos and run it. It should go right to 2.13 and then stay there while Orthos is running.

The multiplier on that chip should be 8. 1066/4=266 FSB x 8 = 2.13 Ghz.

If the CPU-Z is reading 1600 Hz, then the FSB is 800, not 1066. 800/4 = 200 x 8 = 1600.
Or the multiplier was reduced.

Does the BIOS revision support this cpu???? You may need to a)revise the BIOS or b) increase the FSB to 266.

Does the CPU-Z recognize the cpu as an e6420???

The other guys are most likely correct. For a good guide on OCing the C2D read this:http://www.nvidia.com/docs/CP/45121/nforce_680i_sli_overclocking.pdf

Well I'm not exactly new, this is my first post b/c I forgot my original login, and that was probably deleted since I haven't used it in 8 to 10 years, not since the cyrix bbq project.

But I am new in the sense of intel, I'm an AMD guy myself.
I did do a search concerning the cpuz problem and didn't find anything relevant. I'll check those settings out, just kinda freaked me out a second no knowing what was going on, but I eventually did notice the multiplier changing. If it had been called cool'n'quiet... er nevermind;)

go into the BIOS and turn off any C1E or power saving functions. The check CPUZ again and it should say 2133. My CPU is overclocked to 3150MHz but CPU-Z is currently reading 2100 as it's automatically dropped my multiplier to x6 to save power.

Okay, I've got this E6420 clocked at 3 gigahertz.
I've been running orthos for 3 hours now, the cpu temp is idleing at 55 degrees celsius. Is that good or bad? Not sure how much heat there chips put out.

Okay, I've got this E6420 clocked at 3 gigahertz.
I've been running orthos for 3 hours now, the cpu temp is idleing at 55 degrees celsius. Is that good or bad? Not sure how much heat there chips put out.

55 C is relatively high for a 3 GHZ overlock. But what cooler are you using?

Well after running orthos for over 14 hours it's now hovering around 52-53 degrees.

As for the cooler, he wanted a Thermaltake CL-P0257 Blue orb II

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106069

Personnally I would've gone with a Zalman, but that's me. So if that's a bit warm for 3 GHZ, would you recommend that I scale it back a bit? Or will it be alright?

Interesting, the longer I run orthos, the lower the temp gets, down to 51 now.

The C2D can handle up to 65 degrees C, if I'm correct.
That is a little high, but not killer high in Orthos.
Your thermal paste may need tweaking, I rub off the Intel stuff and use ArcticSilver.
My C2Ds all run at about 40 degrees, with stock coolers, a few degrees lower when coupled with the ArcticCooling Freezer Pro 7,when running Orthos.

You'll hardly ever run that high Orthos temp even in 3D gaming, so I wouldnt downclock. You may just want to reseat the HSF and use ArcticSilver or some other high quality ThermalPaste.

Back