CPU temp higher than normal, what's wrong?

Adreneline

Limp Gawd
I just got the X3 720 a couple weeks ago along with a CM690 case and MA790X-UD4P mobo (Gigabyte). Rest of specs are in my sig.

My CPU temp usually idles around 39-41 on idle and 43+ on load, and right now it's sitting at 43 on idle... just turned my comp on.

My GFX temp is 49, a little abnormal too since its usually around 44-46.

But anyway my CPU temp has always been around 39+, and a lot of reviews for the 720 said their CPU's idle around 22-25. That's 20 less than mine!

One idea I thought was that I mixed up a few AMD processors when seeing if my processor was faulty, and so I had to wipe off (some) of the thermal paste to see the model number, but this couldn't make it go up 20 in temp can it? I'm using the stock CPU fan, which I know some people have used when saying their 720's idle around 22ish.

Thanks.

It depends on ambient temp. More than likely those with the sub 30C idle temps live in a significantly cooler place than you do. IN addition, you also have to factor in the design and effectiveness of airflow, whether or not you have dust buildup, improper application of the TIM, differences in HSF used, differences in temp monitoring apps, differences in motherboard readings, etc. So in other words, there's a huge number of variables and factors that determines your system temps.

But yes, wiping off some of the thermal paste without replacing may account for an increase in temps.

If you removed the heatsink and especially if you wiped some thermal paste away to check the numbers on the chip, you need to re-apply the thermal interface material (TIM).

Most people use a paste. There are many options out there if you look around but it's not expensive.

Yes, having the TIM applied incorrectly can cause temperature issues. It needs to be a thin even layer accross the chip for proper heat transfer to occur.

Thanks guys. I will either buy some thermal paste or borrow some off a friend.

Is it hard to get it that balanced across the chip? I've heard you're only suppose to use a little bit - pea sized. But how would one go about applying it - on heatsink or cpu directly?

One last question, if I overclock with this CPU do I need 800 mhz or 1066 mhz ram?

Thanks guys. I will either buy some thermal paste or borrow some off a friend.

Is it hard to get it that balanced across the chip? I've heard you're only suppose to use a little bit - pea sized. But how would one go about applying it - on heatsink or cpu directly?

One last question, if I overclock with this CPU do I need 800 mhz or 1066 mhz ram?

it depends on what heatsink you are using.. but if its a flat smooth surface on the bottom of the heatsink then the easiest way is just putting a thin line horizontally across the processor.. then putting the heatsink down and locking it in.. try to put the heatsink on completely flat before locking it down.. its how ive always done it and its always worked for me..

as for overclocking.. its a Black edition processor so the memory doesnt matter since you only need to overclock with the multiplier and voltage.. you dont not need to touch the memory when overclocking.. the only time you would need to worry about the memory is if you overclock with the FSB clock..

btw.. your temps look completely normal for a stock heatsink depending on where you live.. i mean if you live in alaska or far northern canada.. then id say they are high.. but with summer coming they look pretty normal especially if you wiped some of the TIM off..

Back