CPU swap in Mac Mini

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
is it possible to buy one of the older refurb Mac Mini units and swap the CPU with one of the new Penryn chips like the T9300?

Shouldn't be any reason it's not possible. The Mac Mini uses (I think) a Socket M, so anything that'll fit that socket should work... Physically, anyway. Dunno if the chipset on the MM logic board will play nice with Penryn. One way to find out I guess. :p

I think you will find a problem with that...I would have to check with one of my sources but on previous versions of the mini, the CPU was soldered to the mainboard and couldn't be replaced

^^ correct i recall, on the mini and most all their laptops, it is soldered in, many claim reason for stability, in laptops, to take up less room, but for me is it simple a way for Apple to force you to buy new systems intead of upgrading current ones

My Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz CPU is socketed. I've seen it myself when I installed new memory.

i had a 1.66ghz core duo mini that i swapped cpu's in. i had upgraded it to a core 2 duo 2.0ghz cpu. also added a 7200rpm hard drive and 2gb ram.

G4(PPC) based mini = soldered onto board
Intel based mini = socketed
Source

Fastest processor available for intel mini = Merom T7600.
Source

Here are all the CPU's that can work with the mac mini.

Best chip like the previous poster said, is the T7600 - at a nasty $645.99 :eek:

Socket physical fit wise, yes most likely as long as it is an intel based one. But actually working is another story..the chipset nad board has to support the new processor which is not gauranteed even if it fits...

Socket physical fit wise, yes most likely as long as it is an intel based one.

No. merom = socket M, penryn = socket P. They are both keyed differently, will not physically fit.

Back