CPU question Re: G33 based Shuttle

Noetic

[H]ard|Gawd
My previous Shuttle build was a rather poor overclocker (approximately 5% on a P4 2.8GHz, which had no problem hitting 3.6 with a stock HSF on an ABit board). I have read of better o/c's with the newer generation. Would I be better off with a Q6600 and its 1066 FSB or the Q9450 and its 1333 FSB? I am assuming some sort of limit based on the FSB with the Shuttle motherboard. I am using DDR2-800 RAM for this build.

tia,
david

Don't waste your time overclocking a Shuttle, it just doesn't work very well. Quads will be especially troublesome because of the heat they generate. If you decide to try it, go with the Q6600 for the money and for the guarantee that it will work in the board.

Thank you for the response.

I should add that I tested a E4400 Allendale in the box. It oc'ed from 2.0GHz to 3.0 (Pushed RAM setting from 200 to 300) without much of a problem. I did not run a torture test, but was using it for about two hours. The low initial FSB of the Allendale is probably what made it possible.

As an aside. With a 250Watt PSU, how can folks place 8800GT's or 9600GT's in these boxes?

Thank you for the response.

I should add that I tested a E4400 Allendale in the box. It oc'ed from 2.0GHz to 3.0 (Pushed RAM setting from 200 to 300) without much of a problem. I did not run a torture test, but was using it for about two hours. The low initial FSB of the Allendale is probably what made it possible.

As an aside. With a 250Watt PSU, how can folks place 8800GT's or 9600GT's in these boxes?

Shuttle sells them with a 8800GT as a complete system, so I wouldn't worry about the power supply too much. Personally, I'd go with the Q6600 since it'll give you more FSB headroom. How high could you get the fsb with E4400 if you dropped the multi down to 6?

Shuttle sells them with a 8800GT as a complete system, so I wouldn't worry about the power supply too much. Personally, I'd go with the Q6600 since it'll give you more FSB headroom. How high could you get the fsb with E4400 if you dropped the multi down to 6?

I will test the 4400 a bit further this evening, however 3.0 GHz is a happy number for me.:)

I will test the 4400 a bit further this evening, however 3.0 GHz is a happy number for me.:)

Well, how high you can get your FSB will tell you whether or not it's worth bothering with a Q9450.

The FSB will hit 320, not much headroom for the 45nm CPU.

Any preference in video cards? 9600GT (512M or 1G) or 8800GT.

Thank you for the help,
d

The 8800GT and 9600GT don't actually consume a ton of power, unlike their older bros, the previous 8800 series. That is why they work in the Shuttle. I'm sure overclocking the E4400 worked well, but you are literally doubling your processor power consumption and I've found the 8x multiplier limitation of the Q9450 to be troublesome, but with an Intel board you may not have these problems. Also, make sure the latest BIOS supports the C1 revision Q9450's because that is likely to be what you get if you buy one. Maybe go with an E8400 instead? I had a lot of trouble overlocking with an E6550. I have an SG33G5 and it just did not want to go. I eventually got it to 2.6, but the BIOS would get unstable and I'd get weird reboots and the like. I am running a 7800GTX in it as well, but I doubt that's the problem. Oh well, it's a work computer and runs fine at stock speeds for what I need it to do. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

You will have a solid card in either of those choices, but the 8800GT will push a bit higher FPS in higher resolution situations. Just depends on what you are trying to do with it.

Present tests are with a 24" Soyo 1920x1200 monitor and the built in Intel graphics. I ordered the q6600, guessing that I might be able to bump it to 2.8GHz.

Graphic cards are limited not only by current, but size (No foolin', david). Not sure if the 1GB board was worth the extra coin.

Thank you for your suggestions!
david

I wouldn't attempt to overclock a quad-core with a relatively powerful GPU if I were you.

The problem is not the heat but the PSU.

If you read the review of SG33G5 on anandtech, you'll realise that by using a 8800GT and a default q6600, the PC is already hitting 250W at full load. Although alot of people say that the PSU on shuttles are under-rated, you're still putting on yourself a considerable amount of risk seeing that good psu work above 80% efficiency and so you're only guaranteed 200W.

A 45nm Quad core will work out ok with a 9600GT (just under 200W I believe), but 45nm parts are expensive these days and they're just not worth it. SG33G5's fsb also don't tend to go much higher than 400 so overclocking cpu's with 1333FSB won't yield the boost you want.

Then there's also the heat factor for the GPU as it doesn't have the ICE system like the CPU does. The shuttle doesn't have decent fans or ventilation to supply cool air intake and efficient air expel. (The GPU fan blow AGAINST the case wall!) The ambient temperature generated by hot gpu like the 9600gt or better will shorten the life of the motherboard (which is impossible to replace), unless of course, you do some minor/major modifications to the case. (Drilling few holes at where the GPU sucks and expel air).

Protagonist,

Thank you for joining [H] and the offering of advice.

I do have a Shuttle 300watt PSU in a previous build, that would readily fit in this box. Said supplies are available, and a necessity for some builders.

There is a question as to whether the 45nm quad would have its 1333MHz FSB in this system. I was unable to reach it with the e4400, which has managed higher in the past.

I will be adding the extra ventilation. Thank you for the suggestion.

How about the 1GB 9600GT, is it worth the extra coinage?

david

The 1GB version is a no-go. Not many games can bring the 512mb 9600gt down its knees even at 1920/1200 and those that do (i.e crysis) needs more than just the extra ram anyway.

Thank you again. I might wait to see what is up in the next month regarding video cards.

Loaded latest cpu-z..... OK, it is a G0, excellent.

Anyway, it clocked smoothly to 3.4GHz, but rolled it back to 3GHz. to keep things from getting too hot.

Back