Counter-Strike Tournament Reveals Exploits Equal Cheating In eSports

5, so that's like $160K a year.

You're forgetting management/agents/etc.

Combine that with travel/lodging expenses, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were making a relatively average wage.

Pro paintball is much the same. You get "huge" checks, but after you factor in all the gear/paint/crew, only the biggest teams are breaking even, let alone making serious money.

I don't think that's cheating... it's a ledge that they boosted up to... hell I remember people doing this to get places you didn't belong back in the CS beta and CS 1.6 etc

Cheating or not exploiting glitches/bugs make you look like an un-sportsman like dbag.

However, in a lot of the gaming community know and exploiting glitches is also known as "skill".

Take Dota 2 for example. There were limitations of the Warcraft III engine that people exploited in the early stages of the mod. Creep stacking and animation canceling for example. Since these couldn't be "fixed" the game was slowly balanced around them and now it is "skill" to be able to do these in Dota 2, HoN, etc.

That is just one example but there are many others. A lot of the twitch shooters have these "skills" that started out as exploiting a limitation or bug in the game.

This is what valve gets for forcing their super shitty, horribly designed map into tournament play. Valve, you are fucking up the only major tournament FPS game forcing crap like this.

Combine that with travel/lodging expenses, and I wouldn't be surprised if they were making a relatively average wage.

Pro paintball is much the same. You get "huge" checks, but after you factor in all the gear/paint/crew, only the biggest teams are breaking even, let alone making serious money.
Valve covered those cost for the teams.

That's kinda where I was going with that. I mean it probably still isn't horrible money, but it's not at all an endless mountain and that's still for the people who are on top. For the one team at the top, there's lots and lots making less than half that in winnings so just like saying, "Team XYZ which is the number one team makes this much!" ignores the other groups of people that collected like maybe $20,000 a year to split between five players and like maybe just as many other people who are ranked like number 6.

Boosting out of the map has been considered cheating forever. It's one thing in a pub while screwing around, quite another in an actual competition. Amazing the lack of sportsmanship here, whatever I can get away with is fair. :rolleyes:

Boosting out of the map has been considered cheating forever. It's one thing in a pub while screwing around, quite another in an actual competition. Amazing the lack of sportsmanship here, whatever I can get away with is fair. :rolleyes:

it's one thing to walk around "outside" the map, but that ledge was there... I don't see how boosting to get to a part of the "world" is cheating...

That doesn't account for the salaries that the players already make during the year, any prize money is dolled out like a bonus. There's good money to be made in eSports the only issue is your "career" is probably like 3-5 years.

did you see the boost? it was a 3 person boost. i dont think you plan as a mapper for a 3 person boost.

i dont know why an official didnt stop the match when it happened to say something about it.

As a developer or programmer you should ALWAYS be thinking of ways someone else can break your creation.

That's every sport ever.

They have been updating the rules in Formula 1 for 60 years because some team is always figuring out a way to bend the rules and try something different. They usually allow it for that season and if it gives too much of an advantage they ban it the next year. Then next year some other team comes up with a new idea and the system repeats.

Right, but in physical sports the real world is a limiting constraint. In software, a bug/mistake that lets you see the entire opposing team on the map is clearly not legitimate.

Back