Connect HDMI audio to SPDIF header?

Zorn

Limp Gawd
I have a HTPC that I am getting back in running order, and I picked up a MSI 8500GT card that has no fan, and also has an HDMI output on the back. In order to feed the audio to the HDMI, it either has you use a coax cable (my mobo does not have coax) or an internal SPDIF cable. My mobo is an Intel DG33TL, and I am having trouble figuring out which two pins to connect this cable to. According to the diagram with my mobo, under HD Audio Link, the pins are labeled:

Ground : No Connection
3.3V STBY : No Connection
Key (no pin) : SDI1
+12V : SDI0
3.3 Vcc : SD0
Ground : SYNC
3.3 Vcc : RST#
Ground : BCLK

Does anyone have any idea based on those labels which two pins need to be connected for me to get audio to my HDMI connector? Thanks very much

SPDIF connectors don't go into the HD Audio socket - that's for the case's front panel if you're using on-board audio.

There should be a separate SPDIF connector on the motherboard - in my case (Asus P6T Deluxe V2), it's right next to the HD Audio connector. It's got 2 pins IIRC but on a 4 pin header. The problem I have is that I have no idea what way around the other side of the cable fits into the graphics card - it says to be careful to connect it the right way round but then doesn't tell you which way round that is, as far as I can see lol.

Unless you are prepared to track the PCB for the Optical feed, there is no way to directly connect up the SPDIF channel. You will need to solder onto the motherboard.

Other solutions:
optical to SPDIF converter
another sound card with SPDIF out
AMD video card with HDMI audio.

AMD video cards with HDMI don't require a separate audio connection?

Certain HDMI AMD cards have HDMI audio (not sure if its all HDMI cards).
ie they have their own soundcard built into the gfx card.

If your intention was to get easy audio out of the HDMI port, an ATI/AMD card would have been a better option. The HD4350 will do full 7.1LPCM over HDMI, aswell as decode 1080p video for only $35.

Certain HDMI AMD cards have HDMI audio (not sure if its all HDMI cards).
ie they have their own soundcard built into the gfx card.

You might have to get the driver from Realtek or wherever it is. I had a heck of a time getting my 4870 to work properly until I went to Realtek's website and searched around until I found the right driver.

Back