Computers connecting to neighbor's network.

Lazn_Work

Supreme [H]ardness
I have a small problem where some of my computers on my network are connecting to a neighbor's unsecured wireless network, this lets those computer bypass content filtering that I have setup for the company.

So how can I lock down those PC's to only be able to connect to my secured wireless network? (user's don't have local admin, but they still can connect to the unsecured networks)

thanks.

==>Lazn

Do you run an 2000 or 2k3 server with AD? If so you can just setup a GPO to set the wireless setup and after that they can't be changed on the client.

Disabling Wireless Zero Config after you've got a connection will also stop it from switching to another network, until you renable it.

I've used this tool before with success, when my machines wouldn't stop switching between networks:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips1190/

It enables Wireless Zero Config, connects to the network, and then disables wireless zero config. Might be helpful.

There is a setting somewhere in there that is something to this effect: "Connect automatically to unpreferred networks." Uncheck that, and delete the entry for the unsecure network, and I think that will work.

Back