Compilation: Post your Conroe C2D Temperatures

OK, just got home and installed speedfan. Computer has been on for 8 minutes.

Idle, couple folders and a browser open,
Coretemp = 50C
Speedfan=38C

Run Orthos (dual prime 95, both programs register instant temperature increase)
Coretemp=66C
Speedfan=58C

Seriously, would the real temperature please stand up.

BTW, I am overclocked a bit more than in my official result now of 2400. I am now at 2560, everything is stable with superpi and nothing weird in dual prime 95ing. But I think I am believing speedfan more because just after getting into Windows, speedfan is MUCH closer to what my BIOS reports than Core Temp.

I don't know about Core Temp... I can't trust a program telling me my CPU is running on 1,000v, when it's on 1.38v and e.g. EasyTune (Gigabyte) tells me the right voltage and the same temps as speedfan...

Jadawin said:
I don't know about Core Temp... I can't trust a program telling me my CPU is running on 1,000v, when it's on 1.38v and e.g. EasyTune (Gigabyte) tells me the right voltage and the same temps as speedfan...

Not on mine, they're transposed. They show the system running at 47C and the CPU going from 30C to 42C, sorry I don't believe that is right. That's 1.0000, not 1,0000V LOL! IMHO, Gigabyte's is reading way too low.

I'm going back to a very small overclock until I can trust what temp I'm getting.

Please list ambient temps and cpu voltage as well in your posts. Without these the cpu temps posted are kinda irrelevant.

^^
What he said. Also:

-Case Airflow
-Heatsink Fan
-Thermal Paste and Application Method would be nice

Jodiuh said:
^^
What he said. Also:

-Case Airflow
-Heatsink Fan
-Thermal Paste and Application Method would be nice

Lian Li 7B with two 120 fans with good air flow.
I already listed mine as being a Ninja Plus with 120
AS-5

I believe it is my RAM because the first tests on prime tests only the processor and mine passes that easily.

Donnie27 said:
Lian Li 7B with two 120 fans with good air flow.
I already listed mine as being a Ninja Plus with 120
AS-5

I believe it is my RAM because the first tests on prime tests only the processor and mine passes that easily.

Mine does the same thing.... it will pass the 8k FFT test. (CPU only)
But it fails the ram intensive tests.

Though with the ratio at 2 & ram at only DDR 610 5-5-5-15, I find it hard to belive its the ram. I think it may be the Northbridge. The HS on it is HOT to the touch. I have a 40mm fan coming in Weds, to put on it, MAYBE that will let me squeeze some more out of this thing.

LAPPED E6400 week 25 on Ds3 with vdroop
Apogee Water Block with 3/8 tubes, mcp-350, mcr-220 with TT fans @ 5v, and 1900xt in the loop
3.2ghz . 1.35v bios. 1.328v cpu-z, 1.34v Easy Tune

41c idle / 56c load - Easy Tune
48c idle / 59c load - Core Temp

Ambient - 29c
System Temp - 41c

I hate that freakin IHS.

chrisf6969 said:
Mine does the same thing.... it will pass the 8k FFT test. (CPU only)
But it fails the ram intensive tests.

Though with the ratio at 2 & ram at only DDR 610 5-5-5-15, I find it hard to belive its the ram. I think it may be the Northbridge. The HS on it is HOT to the touch. I have a 40mm fan coming in Weds, to put on it, MAYBE that will let me squeeze some more out of this thing.

That's very possible. That thing really needs some active cooling. Mine gets hot even at stock. I wonder if it is the whole Hub or just the Memory Controller portion?

I've got pretty high temps as well.

Coretemp: Idle-50C Load-65C
Easy Tune: Idle-45C Load-55C

This is with 1.4v

I'm pretty sure I mounted the Scythe Ninja correctly, but just curious should the HSF be movable? I mean that thing was really tight when mounting the hooks in. However, after mounted, I can shift the HSF from side to side.

I am running a e6600 on the intel BadAxe with a Arctic Coller Freezer Pro and my CPU is runnign at 40c idle and 53c load without overclocking it at all. I my chip will overclock but even at 10% i get 57c load temps with dual prime95 running with the same voltage. This seemed on the high side so I put it back at default FSB.

ohh and those temps are using CoreTemp. speedfan shows same thing.

E6600@3400MHz 1.475V with Scythe Ninga Plus with 2000rpm 120mm fan.

Bios
30C Idle
50C load

coretemp
50C idle
66C load

soki said:
e6600 @ 3.2ghz (356*9)
1.45vcore

37-40c idle, 55-59c dual priming (speedfan)

it hasn't been as hot today as it has been lately (I don't have a/c), ~35c idle, ~50c dual priming

slightly OT, but I have noticed that corner of my room with the desk in it, isn't as hot as it was with my Pentium D system @ 3.9Ghz. Now the room is uniform (temp wise).

Idle temps
Pentium D = 39C
e6600@ 2.75 = 33C

Load temps
Pentium D = 60C
e6600 @ 2.75 = 60C

I think presler even though the temps were about the same it was putting out a lot more heat with its larger surface area (2 seperate cedar mill cores) And the Core 2 temps are about the same b/c its harder to disipate the heat off the much smaller die/core.

Edit: please post your FSB & MCH voltages too.

E6600 @ 3.2ghz
1.375V
Zalman 9500LED with Arctic Silver 5, rice grain method.
OCZ PC2-6400 Platinum XTC EL 2GB
Gigabyte DQ6 (BIOS F4a)
Antec Neopower 480w
Antec P180
Other assorted junk

VDIMM = 2.3V (bug in the BIOS, set it to 0.45 but with the vcore upped, it also ups the vdimm, stupid thing, still, 2.3 is stable and still warrented by OCZ for this memory ;) )
MCH = +0.4V
FSB = +0.2V
Forced the setting of the 2:2 memory divider (I know, stupid) and manually set the PCIE buss to 100mhz and disabled the legacy USB storage thingy (read somewhere it for some unknown reason caused issues, tried enabled and disabled (not like I used it) and sure enough, disabling helped stability, go figure....)

Coretemp idle = 41/43 load = 53/54
Speedfan idle = 24/25 load = 35/37

I have pushed it higher but it very quickly gets to be a game of diminishing returns with the vcore needed and the temps generated. Plus I could tighten my RAM up nicely (3-3-3-10 is not to shabby I feel)

So I am gonna stay with this, Pi 1m in 15.7seconds is ok with me plus everything freakin flys.

just to add something else I have picked up (looking through my notes of the past few days of experimentation)

upping your MCH/FSB voltages seems to do so much more for stability at higher frequencies on lower vcores than actually upping the vcore voltage itself. Might seems a bit wierd to get your head around but give it a bash, some people I've seen here with better cooling than me (oh I have a week 24 retail chip BTW) needing 1.45/1.475 to get 3.2/3.4ghz, maybe dropping that vcore a bit and upping those other values might also help alot, plus drop those temps.

Note, I have no idea if your system will be adversely affected (probably) but then no more than frying the core aye? Plus the mobo should be cheaper than the chip right? ;)

Ok..First System Spec
Intel C2D E6600 (no overclock)
Asus P5B Motherboard
Zalman CNPS9500LED
XKroma Case
7900GT Video
Yadda yadda
Temp Idle-50s (celcius)
Load- 62 (celcius)

After searching for days now on temperature issues with the C2D processors, I've come to a conclusion. The sensors and or the software associated with them are crap!!! (Core Temp, Speedfan, AsusProbe etc)After reseating the HSF numerous times, cleaning thermal paste off and reapplying, checking voltage etc..I decided to run the system through various stress tests, SuperPI, etc, to get it smoking hot...Checking the temp after finishing these tests, the system remained in the 60ish degrees celsius range..(140 degrees F) Immediately after I took the HSF off, which was a little warm but nothing major, then proceeded to remove the CPU...now you'd think at 140 It'd be hot to the touch, but the processor was "luke warm" but not at all "hot"...So for those of you that are concerned, run some tests, pull your CPU and use your own judgement. My next stop is Asus to find out more about their crappy sensors/software to find out how to get an actual accurate reading.....Hope this calms some of the masses out there GOOD LUCK!!!

Donnie27 said:
That's very possible. That thing really needs some active cooling. Mine gets hot even at stock. I wonder if it is the whole Hub or just the Memory Controller portion?

Well, I put a little 40mm fan on the stock northbridge heatsink. It only dropped it by about 1-2C. So I've been playing around with voltages, and realized I only need stock voltage at 2.75Ghz which is decent. I tried adding some voltage to the FSB & Northbridge, still no go.

I'm kinda suspecting the ram now.

chrisf6969 said:
Well, I put a little 40mm fan on the stock northbridge heatsink. It only dropped it by about 1-2C. So I've been playing around with voltages, and realized I only need stock voltage at 2.75Ghz which is decent. I tried adding some voltage to the FSB & Northbridge, still no go.

I'm kinda suspecting the ram now.

I'm not sure if it is the RAM or the FSB. I know it is not the Processor. I ran mine at stock. I had my Room cooled to 69F, took off the side panel, let my room fan blow on it. Core Temp showed 36C for the proc and a 44C instead of 49C for the NB. 25 secs and Prime 95 show memory errors, so did Memtest. This was with the RAM at 800 and 2.2v.

Funny? Processor never went past 44C-C0/45C-C1 under load and the RAM running at 667. I RMA-ed and GSkill had a chance to do right, yet they seemingly sent me 667 rebadged as DDR2-800. That's all I think the 2GBHPK is:(

Donnie27 said:
I'm not sure if it is the RAM or the FSB. I know it is not the Processor. I ran mine at stock. I had my Room cooled to 69F, took off the side panel, let my room fan blow on it. Core Temp showed 36C for the proc and a 44C instead of 49C for the NB. 25 secs and Prime 95 show memory errors, so did Memtest. This was with the RAM at 800 and 2.2v.

Funny? Processor never went past 44C-C0/45C-C1 under load and the RAM running at 667. I RMA-ed and GSkill had a chance to do right, yet they seemingly sent me 667 rebadged as DDR2-800. That's all I think the 2GBHPK is:(

Have you gotten the new ram back? Can you OC higher? etc?

I don't want to go buy new ram then find out I just had a crappy northbridge chip that just happen to not like high FSB's.

I think I've tried everything.

CPU - isn't the problem b/c I lowered the multiplier and its still craps out at the same FSB

NB - very possibly, but I've tried raising MCH, FSB & both together voltages, and added active cooling to the HS. So I'm thinking MAYBE not.

Ram - tried loosing timings to 5-6-6-18 (since I saw a few other people with those timings on the database), its PQI Turbo DDR2 667, supposedly rated for 4-4-4-12 at DDR667. Which it would run at that with my Asus P5WD2-E (975x) mobo up to like 700Mhz. So I'm thinking the 965's are more aggressive with ram, and MAYBE if I knew what to put for some of the advanced timings I could ge it to work, but probably just need newer/better ram. :(

Antec P180 - 3 tricool 120 case fans
Zalman cnps9500 LED artic silver rice grain method - no lapping
P5B-deluxe wifi-ap
2gb OCZ Platinum ddr2 800
conroe e6400 @ 3.2 Ghz

vcore: 1.375
vdimm: 2.1
cpu freq: 400 multi: 8

mobo temps idle: 38 dual p95 load: 55
core temps idle: 47 dual p95 load: 59

I'm fine with these temps since only dual p95 gets close to this hot. When I'm rendering the max core temp is about 53. That's MY real world app.

Kandor

chrisf6969 said:
Have you gotten the new ram back? Can you OC higher? etc?

I don't want to go buy new ram then find out I just had a crappy northbridge chip that just happen to not like high FSB's.

I think I've tried everything.

CPU - isn't the problem b/c I lowered the multiplier and its still craps out at the same FSB

NB - very possibly, but I've tried raising MCH, FSB & both together voltages, and added active cooling to the HS. So I'm thinking MAYBE not.

Ram - tried loosing timings to 5-6-6-18 (since I saw a few other people with those timings on the database), its PQI Turbo DDR2 667, supposedly rated for 4-4-4-12 at DDR667. Which it would run at that with my Asus P5WD2-E (975x) mobo up to like 700Mhz. So I'm thinking the 965's are more aggressive with ram, and MAYBE if I knew what to put for some of the advanced timings I could ge it to work, but probably just need newer/better ram. :(

The new RAM ended up being rebadged DDR2-667sold as DDR2-800.

see sig:

Idle 34 cpu/34 NB

Stress both cores/Load for 3 hours:
48 cpu/35 NB

Donnie27 said:
The new RAM ended up being rebadged DDR2-667sold as DDR2-800.

How do you know it was DDR2 667?
Did it not have any DDR800 timings programmed in the SPD?

Mine only had 266 & 400 speeds which made me wonder why it didn't have 333 speed programmed in the SPD also.

BTW, by new temps since working out the kinks at 3Ghz
are as follows:

e6600 @ 3Ghz (334FSB)
Gskill DDR2 800
Gigabyte DS3

Load temps: @ 3Ghz
62C (CoreTemp)
56 (SpeedFan)

Idle: @ 2Ghz via EIST
48 (CoreTemp)
34 (SpeedFan)

Northbridge temps are 45C load and the heatsink feels blisteringly HOT, even with a little 40mm fan on it. The fan didn't help much, neither did taking it off & applying AS5.

XP-90C + generic (slow/quiet) LED fan

vanilla_guerilla said:

You ever read rule # 25 ? - IE: no double sigs - Congrats, but getting tired of seeing that at the bottom of everyone of your posts.

How do you measure the NB temperature? I took mine off my p5b deluxe wifi as well and put as5 under it but I'd like to know the temp?

e6400 @ 3.25 ghz (405 fsb)
P180 with front case fan
TT Big Typhoon heatsink with Silverstone fan

Idle at 39c
Load tops out at ~50c

kandor said:
How do you measure the NB temperature? I took mine off my p5b deluxe wifi as well and put as5 under it but I'd like to know the temp?

i gues the most cost expedient way would be to try and find a lcd/led temp display with a sensor or 2 attached to it like the one on the qpack/jpac/microfly.
here are a couple of infrared thermometers for less than $60 the second one especially is nice with laser sight, etc.

http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsectionSC.asp?subsection=J06&book=Temperature OS-FS and OS-PP
http://www.infrared-usa.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=10228&CategoryID=51

#1 retail 6600-3703mhz
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792

Jodiuh said:
See now I need clarification. Someone on this very forum posted a max temp or something like that w/ these Core 2's. I believe the number was 61C. I was under the assumption that max temp ~ throttle temp. Am I wrong, right? WTF? Intel? Innnnnnnnttttteellllll....sleeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz....ppppppppp

EDIT: nooh...you seem very bright/kind...dont' get yourself banned from H too, ok? :D
http://users.erols.com/chare/elec.htm

I hope this helps

But it doesn't. :( What does 1.55 Vmax mean? And 60.1C means max what? I see plenty of Allendales running higher than that without throttling...so what does it mean? Either way, I've always preferred to keep my procs below 50C. The only exception was the 630 Prescott @ 65C, but it still lives ok.

Jodiuh said:
But it doesn't. :( What does 1.55 Vmax mean? And 60.1C means max what? I see plenty of Allendales running higher than that without throttling...so what does it mean? Either way, I've always preferred to keep my procs below 50C. The only exception was the 630 Prescott @ 65C, but it still lives ok.
If you look at the average and the the case temps you should get some sort of picture of how it should be.

If the case temps is advised that it should not be more than 65c then your cpu is going to be running more than 70-75c(vcore) for your case temp to equate to that.

You have lapped your cpu, right? you have taken all necessary precautions , right? Then i reckon your worrying a little too much.

Also look at the bottom and it tells you when the sensor switches the PC off , which should be when it throttles and I think it does throttle at 80c.

It will not be programmed by the average default for it to shut at 75-80c , you can set it to 60c on that but i would think it will most likely be 80c.(this is when it starts going so hot that it starts making errors and may even melt if it was kept at that long enough

I have seen a few charts like this , give me some time and i will PM them to you if they will help you.

If you check with your average old system and you will see even 70c running idle normal, its only when we start looking at it and playing with it that we get worried. Seriuosly though i think your worrying too much.

It says 60c cover on this which is suppose to be the outside of the core (beteen the core and the hs IHS)cos you all are getting two types of temp. , so i think the core would be about 75-80c.

Also i recon the 80c to 130c as this has it will be like the worst case scenario and even them the pc will shut down.

chrisf6969 said:
How do you know it was DDR2 667?
Did it not have any DDR800 timings programmed in the SPD?

Mine only had 266 & 400 speeds which made me wonder why it didn't have 333 speed programmed in the SPD also.

BTW, by new temps since working out the kinks at 3Ghz
are as follows:

e6600 @ 3Ghz (334FSB)
Gskill DDR2 800
Gigabyte DS3

Load temps: @ 3Ghz
62C (CoreTemp)
56 (SpeedFan)

Idle: @ 2Ghz via EIST
48 (CoreTemp)
34 (SpeedFan)

Northbridge temps are 45C load and the heatsink feels blisteringly HOT, even with a little 40mm fan on it. The fan didn't help much, neither did taking it off & applying AS5.

XP-90C + generic (slow/quiet) LED fan

You ever read rule # 25 ? - IE: no double sigs - Congrats, but getting tired of seeing that at the bottom of everyone of your posts.

3 months ago Newegg listed PK as DDR2-667 1.8v 4-4-4-12. Even after giving the RAM 2.3v's, it was still NOT Prime stable at stock speed. Slowed it down to 667 and it runs perfectly. Ran my system at 3GHz and temps stayed at about 47C last time. It ran stable once, then the next time I tried it, errors in about 8 secs.

About rule #25, I only put it there because sigs aren't listed:)

E6400 @stock
P5B deluxe/wifi (0614 BIOS)
Ninja plus
P180, Nexus fans
QFan set to optimal

ambient: 26C
idle: 39-40C
load: 50-53C

Measured with Core Temp, although Asus Probe seems to report them with a 1c error margin. Looking around the CPU seems to run hotter than with most others here... sensor probs or poor HS contact? The Ninja feels almost cool to the touch really. Only applied a minimal amount of AS5 on it as I've done many times before.

Donnie27 said:

Did u raise ur MCH voltage before u RMA's those sticks? My sticks of 2GBHZ were detected at ddr667, I could not get them past ddr2-850 and even with 2.3v I couldnt get past ddr2-900. After raising the MCH I am at ddr2-1000 with 2.3v. BTW, since ur not using an asus p5w then maybe its not ur problem, but its worth a try.

Si-120 w/ 120mm 110cfm silverstone.
e6600 @3gigs 1.425v

Speedfan
idle 26c
load 47c

Coretemp
idle 40c
load 56c

Now what I am curious about is what people are using when they say keep ur conroe under 55-60c for 24/7. The core max is 85c so 60c in coretemp shouldnt be too hot right? So are they refering to the chip temp using program like speedfan? I want to push my conroe higher but dont want to exceed 60c at this point. Oh well, my cpu prolly needs lapping anyways.

Donnie27 said:
About rule #25, I only put it there because sigs aren't listed:)

I was talking to Vaniller Goriller b/c he's been putting that annoying "# 1 retail..." blah blah at the end of every post.

edit: Oh yeah, and my G.Skill 6400 ram didn't like the 2:1 ratio. It worked better at the 2.5:1 ratio than it did at the 2:1 (1:1 really) There are probably some hidden ram timings that are too aggressive at 1:1 around 333 FSB.

My temps are as follows, measured with EasyTUne by gigabyte...

Load = ~50C CPU
Load = ~44C system

AMbient is probably about 72F. I am overclocked to 425 x 7 at default voltage with a E6300 and gigabyte ds3 motherboard. I could probably go higher, but my ram is only DDR2 667 and it's already running at 850. I tried speedfan, but it gave me some weird ass readings. I tried core temp, and it read about 10C higher on everything. The readings with easytune are closer to what the bios says...although even easytune may be a little high.

Lyquist

nooh...
I only see one temp tho...the 61.4C. I'm not really worried, but it's def a bit confusing. Also, I don't see anything about when it throttles. But you're right, these things have some mega tolerances!
*rubs hands*
*in best impression of Antonio Banderas*
"Let's play!"

Back