Comcast's New Broadband Service Is Twice As Fast As Google Fiber

What tech are they using to do 2Gbps up and down to a single customer I wonder. GPON and ActiveE only supports 1Gbps to the actual ONT. You can do weird 2.5Gbps but that isn't normal and very little supports that. Normally you go from 1Gbps to 10Gbps. Unless they completely created their own technology from top to bottom I am only seeing this work by taking 2 separate 1Gbps connections and lagging them together.

As for the comments about your NIC not supporting it, that is fine, 2 Gbps into your home split into the 1Gbps that you can support to your NIC. So 1 device won't be able to use all 2Gbps but if you really really try with enough devices you can have a lot of them do it.

It's a new tier for their existing "Metro E" service provided by Comcast Business. They run a fiber to your home connected to a Ciena delivery switch and provide you with a router. The negatives being that you have to be within 1/3 of a mile from a node, be a couple of hundred feet from Comcast infrastructure, be in a house and sign a multi year contract along with a hefty installation fee.

The Gigabit service they are planning for 2016 is DOCSIS 3.1. Expect it to be liked the Extreme 505 they offer now, so expensive almost no one will have it.

seems backwards, have had a 100/100 fiber last 4 years no limitations.
no idea why usa is so backwards in regards to internet and broadbands.
best way to increase productivity have enough bandwidth for free

Even if it was the same price as Google Fiber I would still probably go with Google just because of all the years Comcast has screwed me over.

Comcast can offer 10Gbps service but their customer service is horrible and therefore I would never go with them.

They need to stop focusing on speed improvements and focus ENTIRELY on their horrible customer service problems. Like calling customers ++++s and assholes on their billing statements. :rolleyes:

Nope. I agree with some of the other comments already posted; Comcast has screwed me over for years. I'm waiting for my Google fiber install (which is taking forever), all the while Comcast keeps calling me offering to cut my bill in half if I sign a three year contract. FU Comcast, FU...

I don't see the point of these insane speeds; you are always bottlenecked by the servers you're trying to access.

Back