Clean Install on SSHD advice

dreamcast87

Limp Gawd
Hello HardForum members

I just got in my new Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD to replace my 8 year old Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive. I've never installed on SSHDs before, so is there anything special i should do or is it just a regular clean installation. Windows 7 64bit will be used. If you have a link that gives advice for this type of install that will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm sure others here know much more, but these drives seem to use their NAND for caching, so I'd want to do a regular HDD install and let it do its thing. It's going to write everything to the rotating disk, and use the NAND for an adaptive cache of your most used reads, and maybe some writes FAIK.

The ST1000DX001 functions just like any other drive, so no need to do anything special. The drive's firmware will sort everything out behind the scenes for you.

The only hybrid drives that require special drivers are the new dual drives from Western Digital. Those drives keep the SSD portion and the HDD portion separate, but utilize the same SATA port for both. It's a wacky configuration and requires special software.

Your Seagate is ready to use right out of the box, though.

The ST1000DX001 functions just like any other drive, so no need to do anything special. The drive's firmware will sort everything out behind the scenes for you.

The only hybrid drives that require special drivers are the new dual drives from Western Digital. Those drives keep the SSD portion and the HDD portion separate, but utilize the same SATA port for both. It's a wacky configuration and requires special software.

Your Seagate is ready to use right out of the box, though.

AgentQ Thank you for your advice.

Hello HardForum members

I just got in my new Seagate Hybrid Drive ST1000DX001 1TB MLC/8GB 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s NCQ 3.5" Desktop SSHD to replace my 8 year old Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive Bare Drive. I've never installed on SSHDs before, so is there anything special i should do or is it just a regular clean installation. Windows 7 64bit will be used. If you have a link that gives advice for this type of install that will be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for your help.

Hi, dreamcast87,

Be sure you disconnect any other disk drives and only have the SSHD connected when you do the clean install or the boot manager may end up on a drive other than the system drive.

Hope this helps.

I believe the new WD drives are actually two separate drives, thus the driver. You get two drive letters and there is no caching.

Toshiba also makes an SSHD that I believe does not require a driver.

WD did release in Europe/Asia a "hybrid" type drive with 16GB of NAND which requires a driver, and the flash is used to cache like the Seagate and Toshiba.

Back