Cisco 3750 Stacking

QHalo

2[H]4U
I've been asked to start stacking our closets at work and they're full of 3750-48TS. The issue is that I need to retain the interface configurations as these are production switches after I put them into stack mode. I have a couple of them to play with to get the process down but I'm trying to figure out if there is a faster way to do this or if I'm doing it the way everyone else is/has.

Is it easier to just apply the main configuration and then just the interface configurations of the stack members one at a time or is there a faster and easier way to retain the interface configurations on the members without having to do it that way? I can pull the current configuration from Orion and then build a configuration file and renumber the interfaces as necessary but wanted some opinions. Let me know if this is confusing :p

stacking? am I missing something? or are you taking the servers out of comission to store away unused in a closet somewhere? or are you daisy chaining them using the Stackwise technology?

Either way...if your storing, just copy the config file and flash the bios. If your daisy chaining, you can just save the config file if you need to unstack at a later date.

Try this on for size

I'm talking about this. Either way I think the best way to do this is to just stack them, wipe them and re-apply the base configuration and then copy in the interface configurations per switch. I was just looking for an easier way or if there was another way to put stand-alone production 3750s into a stack mode with each other and keep the interface configurations per switch.

That really is the easiest method
Copy the config out, edit the interfaces to be to the new 3 digit port id and paste it back in.

Downtime windows :)

There is an easier way ....

Start with 1 3750, make sure it has the highest stack priority so that it will become the master in the stack, then use the 'provisional-configuration' command to configure all of the ports of the future members before you stack them (takes a little bit of planning) then when done, add the switches one by one and they will pick up the provisional configuration which you made to match the actual config before hand.

I've only done this once, and it was pretty damn simple. I'll see if I can find my notes from the migration (few years old). I stacked 4 switches total, and I was done in literally 10~15 minutes.

There is an easier way ....

Start with 1 3750, make sure it has the highest stack priority so that it will become the master in the stack, then use the 'provisional-configuration' command to configure all of the ports of the future members before you stack them (takes a little bit of planning) then when done, add the switches one by one and they will pick up the provisional configuration which you made to match the actual config before hand.

I was looking at that command but having never used it was a bit confused. Now to test it out. Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Just make sure all of your switches are flashed with the same IOS before you get started ... it will make your life much better in the long run.

That I have confirmed. I've added a switch, blank config, to a stack before and was met with the dreaded Mismatch. I ran through what you suggested today and it works like a champ. Now all I have to do is chop up my configs from the switches and piece them together as one. Should be pretty much cake after that. Thanks again for the help.

Back