Cinematic Mode in iPhone 14 Pro Max

maverick786us

2[H]4U
My iPhone 12 Pro Max has a very capable camera, I do plenty of video recording. It doesn't have Cinematic Mode. Couple of months ago I was shooting some choreography videos of the stage, my audience seat was14 yards away from the stage. So I used 2.5X lossless zoom for closer shooting. Because of limited space I had to shoot it in Full HD instead of 4K. Whenever I see the video I feel that something's lagging, hard to describe in words.

Coming to the point, Cinematic Mode implemented in iPhone 14 Pro Max, can it take a better video for occasions like these? Can someone show me a comparison of videos taken using standard mode and Cinematic mode using iPhone 14 Pro Max?

Last edited:
My iPhone 12 Pro Max has a very capable camera, I do plenty of video recording. It doesn't have Cinematic Mode. Couple of months ago I was shooting some choreography videos of the stage, my audience seat was14 yards away from the stage. So I used 2.5X lossless zoom for closer shooting. Because of limited space I had to shoot it in Full HD instead of 4K. Whenever I see the video I feel that something's lagging, hard to describe in words.

Coming to the point, Cinematic Mode implemented in iPhone 14 Pro Max, can it take a better video for occasions like these? Can someone show me a comparison of videos taken using standard mode and Cinematic mode using iPhone 14 Pro Max?
Cinematic Mode is mainly useful for emulating rack focus shots (that is, manipulating focus with a shallow depth of field). If that's what you're after, a newer iPhone will do the trick. But I'd also wait for the iPhone 15 Pro Max (presumably arriving in September) unless you find a good deal on its predecessor or just can't wait. Odds are there will be videography improvements.

Cinematic Mode is mainly useful for emulating rack focus shots (that is, manipulating focus with a shallow depth of field). If that's what you're after, a newer iPhone will do the trick. But I'd also wait for the iPhone 15 Pro Max (presumably arriving in September) unless you find a good deal on its predecessor or just can't wait. Odds are there will be videography improvements.
Do you have a comparison videos one taken in standard mode and another taken in Cinematic mode? I just want to see the difference. I don't have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. But my old man has the small variant an iPhone 14 pro. He is not a tech Greek. But whenever he takes a video I change the settings to Cinematic mode with 4K 24 FPS. But there is no way I can spot the difference between standard and cinematic mode

Do you have a comparison videos one taken in standard mode and another taken in Cinematic mode? I just want to see the difference. I don't have an iPhone 14 Pro Max. But my old man has the small variant an iPhone 14 pro. He is not a tech Greek. But whenever he takes a video I change the settings to Cinematic mode with 4K 24 FPS. But there is no way I can spot the difference between standard and cinematic mode
Not the best example, but this may help:

The gist is that Cinematic Mode adds a simulated depth of field (like a Portrait Mode photo) while it focuses on a given subject. You can tap to focus on a different subject and it'll adjust accordingly.

Most people don't need it; it's best when you're aiming for a professional look like what you'd get from a dedicated movie camera. Me, I'm more interested in resolution and frame rate (4K at 30FPS, usually) than the depth of field effect. I'm curious to see what if anything Apple will do to upgrade video capture on the 15 Pro family.

Back