Chiphell: AMD 3xx perf. leak

Until AMD steps up and offers a more polished feature set and doesn't sacrifice everything just to try and compete on frames, they are going to continue to struggle.
How are AMD's financials looking?
Can they even afford that kind of change. Fixing drivers, introducing new featuresets, and improving the hardware (power efficiency, performance, etc)... Are these things free? We already know Nvidia has boatloads of cash.

If AMD is barely staying afloat with their current business model I don't see them making any drastic improvements in the blink of an eye. Even if they magically turned everything around, they're still battling public opinion.

Forums filled with people saying "AMD has bad drivers" is more influential than actually having good or bad drivers. Most people claiming AMD's drivers suck don't even own AMD anymore. So even if the drivers were good, there would be more people crying about bad drivers than saying the drivers have improved now.
It also doesn't help that Nvidia is buying off companies left and right. Even if AMD had "better drivers", Nvidia would still be pushing companies in their own favor.

It'll always be an uphill battle for AMD regardless of the facts.
And by the way, the fact is the drivers still suck. So don't be confused.

Yea, I'm going to spend more money on something that doesn't perform as well, because "feature set". No. That's about as soft as you can get. You are not of the warrior class.

How are AMD's financials looking?
Can they even afford that kind of change. Fixing drivers, introducing new featuresets, and improving the hardware (power efficiency, performance, etc)... Are these things free? We already know Nvidia has boatloads of cash.

If AMD is barely staying afloat with their current business model I don't see them making any drastic improvements in the blink of an eye. Even if they magically turned everything around, they're still battling public opinion.

Yup. The company was mis-managed for so long that they've put themselves in a bad spot. The fact that they have to sell both CPUs and GPUs at a price less than their competition to get sales (and even then don't sell competitively) is evidence that the company doesn't offer a competitive product, overall.

Even I begrudgingly adopted Intel for my CPUs and I don't even bother looking beyond NVIDIA for discrete GPUs.

That could make me a fanboy, but it's more a matter of not being impressed with AMD as a company, and I'm not one to make pity purchases either.

Yea, I'm going to spend more money on something that doesn't perform as well, because "feature set". No. That's about as soft as you can get. You are not of the warrior class.

Of course people have different opinions. I want to play a game with features like AA, AF, high resolution, physics, etc.

If all you want is fps, you can turn all that off or buy a card that doesn't support it.

I think AMD would be better served with quality over quantity.

I wasn't aware that AMD didn't support AA, AF, high resolution and physics. In fact, nobody was aware of that.

Come in here expecting to find some juicy info but all I get are posters shitting on AMD. Don't you people have anything better to do?

That was my mindset when I picked the Radeon 4870($300) over the GTX260($450) and GTX280($600) years ago. And again when I picked the GTX670($350) over the Radeon 7970($500) for my primary machine. Perhaps a history lesson is in order for our younger less experienced members?

so you only have 300-350$ to spend on a gpu....

Really? Physx sucks, GW sucks, G sync don't really make sense if you already have a 144hz monitor. btw freesync monitors are coming and are cheaper.

I hate fanboys...

I currently own, 970SLI and Titan Z. but i would buy AMD if their card perform better.
Wait a second you own a Titan Z , but then you claim to would buy AMD if their card performed better? the 295x2 is cheaper and faster than a Titan Z....

Yeah because who wants more features and reliability out of their card? FPS is all that matters because I only watch a meter while I play games. :rolleyes:

There is a reason that NVIDIA outsells AMD every single year. They make a much better product. Until AMD steps up and offers a more polished feature set and doesn't sacrifice everything just to try and compete on frames, they are going to continue to struggle.

http://online.barrons.com/articles/nvidia-shares-look-more-inviting-1415039915

Exactly what features does a Nvidia card have over an AMD card? I'm sure you will mention DSR, or some AA type. Well Amd supports 6 monitors on one card, XDMA ,free sync, Morphological AA, True Audio, Mantle... Feature set is a wash.. both have advantages.

Honestly I don't understand some peoples Brand loyalty. Its silly.

Last edited:
Actually on second glance, this might be a heavily underclocked 390x. It sure as hell aint a fully clocked one because AMD flagship comes with a room heater.

And it corresponds with this certified leak from Sisoft:
6gihqc.jpg

Some think this may even be the 370X but I feel it's the 380X myself.. no way is it the 390x unless it's down clocked to notting because of power useage..

Some think this may even be the 370X but I feel it's the 380X myself.. no way is it the 390x unless it's down clocked to notting because of power useage..
So first we go from being the 390X, then the 380X, and now the 370X? Do people really think that the generational leap is going to be that extreme? :rolleyes:

Not trying to troll - but why would an engineering sample for a new generation GPU be the midrange version? Why would they be testing the video card with features turned off? Why would they chose a poorly binned chip to run tests? The logic isn't there. In a generation in which the midrange is typically a poorly binned version of the highest end with RPU and shaders turned off for stability...

Edit: I read some more of the links and posts and I see that it is possible that it is the 380, but I'm still having problem's buying it.

Yes...what the fuck is your problem? You want a free pass to troll?

I haven't trolled anybody. You were the one that came in and complained about the people posting in the thread, like people were supposed to stop posting here because you didn't like what they were saying?

A better question is: If they benchmarked the card then why didn't they take any pictures of it?
They're leaked benches from an asian source, don't look too much into it.

Not trying to troll - but why would an engineering sample for a new generation GPU be the midrange version? Why would they be testing the video card with features turned off? Why would they chose a poorly binned chip to run tests? The logic isn't there. In a generation in which the midrange is typically a poorly binned version of the highest end with RPU and shaders turned off for stability...

Edit: I read some more of the links and posts and I see that it is possible that it is the 380, but I'm still having problem's buying it.

Whatever they decide to call it, mid or high end if the numbers are legit this is good news. Puts AMD on top for a bit before NV releases a new card. Best for competition is to frog jump each other with power/performance releases.

Really?

Amds first 40nm gpu was a midrange 4770

Nvidias first Kepler gpu was midrange gk104

Nvidias first maxwell gpu was midrange gm107 (?)

This happens all the time. It is easier to test a new architecture or process on a smaller die. And most ES gpu/cpu come out first at lower clock speeds.

Yup. The company was mis-managed for so long that they've put themselves in a bad spot. The fact that they have to sell both CPUs and GPUs at a price less than their competition to get sales (and even then don't sell competitively) is evidence that the company doesn't offer a competitive product, overall.

Even I begrudgingly adopted Intel for my CPUs and I don't even bother looking beyond NVIDIA for discrete GPUs.

That could make me a fanboy, but it's more a matter of not being impressed with AMD as a company, and I'm not one to make pity purchases either.

the fact that you put AMD vs. Intel in the same class with AMD vs. nVidia shows you don't know what you are comparing. nVidia is no Intel. Talk about delusions of grandeur. :rolleyes:

Intel has around 80% of cpu market
Nvidia has around 2/3 of discreet GPU market

Plus he is talking about selling prices - currently AMD has to undercut nvidia by 50-80$ to sell 290 vs 970 - and 290 requires high quality pcb and components + high performance cooler while 970 can be put together on midrange pcb leftovers from 760gt

Intel has around 80% of cpu market
Nvidia has around 2/3 of discreet GPU market

Plus he is talking about selling prices - currently AMD has to undercut nvidia by 50-80$ to sell 290 vs 970 - and 290 requires high quality pcb and components + high performance cooler while 970 can be put together on midrange pcb leftovers from 760gt

AMD / Intel/ NVIDIA
All Graphics 17.94% 67.34% 14.72%
Discrete Graphics 37.9% 0% 62.0%
Steam Users 29.8% 18.89% 50.93%

as of q2 2014. (note its not quite certain how they got these results source AnandTech)

as far as AMD selling the 290 for cheaper than a 970, Nvidia just released the 970/980 this is to be expected, until Amd's next gen cards are released. Amd did the same thing to Nvidia when it launched the 7000 series cards when Nvidia was on the 580's.

I will purchase an AMD card over an Nvidia card given the same price and simliar performance. It has nothing to do with fanboyism as some would claim. I prefer AMD because they introduce OPEN standards instead of proprietary property(Gsync, Cuda, Physx, adaptive Vsync.....)

Everyone has their own preference. Some will have good reasons, others will spread doom and gloom as if the world is ending if you go with another option.

Last edited:
AMD / Intel/ NVIDIA
All Graphics 17.94% 67.34% 14.72%
Discrete Graphics 37.9% 0% 62.0%
Steam Users 29.8% 18.89% 50.93%

as of q2 2014. (note its not quite certain how they got these results source AnandTech)

as far as AMD selling the 290 for cheaper than a 970, Nvidia just released the 970/980 this is to be expected, until Amd's next gen cards are released. Amd did the same thing to Nvidia when it launched the 7000 series cards when Nvidia was on the 580's.

I will purchase an AMD card over an Nvidia card given the same price and simliar performance. It has nothing to do with fanboyism as some would claim. I prefer AMD because they introduce OPEN standards instead of proprietary property(Gsync, Cuda, Physx, adaptive Vsync.....)

Everyone has their own preference. Some will have good reasons, others will spread doom and gloom as if the world is ending if you go with another option.

cant be sensible or nice on the Internet.:)

Open standard or shut down pay a lot for the same seems well uneeded

the fact that you put AMD vs. Intel in the same class with AMD vs. nVidia shows you don't know what you are comparing. nVidia is no Intel. Talk about delusions of grandeur. :rolleyes:

In terms of quantifying high-end share gains and magnitude, our supply-chain conversations indicate that Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 980/970 has comprised over 80% of high-end card shipments to channel partners since mid-September.

That sounds like Intel type numbers to me.

Here is your answer in a nutshell. Social identity theory and how it relates to self esteem. The lower self esteem the bigger the ________.
That's a pretty great article summarizing the basic psychology beyond fanboyism, meta-cognition ftw. The best part to remember is the best businesses rely heavily on brand loyalty to add false value to their product lines and gloss over the imperfections. You'll notice that some of the most "popular" products on the web aren't so much popular as they are well-marketed, and that's a difference not everyone grasps.

Digressions aside, I just upgraded to a GTX 970; it was the first card in 3 years that was a worthwhile upgrade from my 7970. That said, this performance preview looks great as well. It doesn't matter what AMD calls its next card, if this is the actual performance and the price is sweet, I'll probably get it.

I have never held a brand loyalty to either company. I went from A Titan/SLI setup to a Quadfire setup with the recent sales on the 295x2's. Reason being is simple: AMD had a better product than Nvidia's top of the line solution for a better price for 4K performance.

I am looking forward to both the "Big Maxwell" from Nvidia and the 390x (Or whatever they call it) from AMD.

In terms of quantifying high-end share gains and magnitude, our supply-chain conversations indicate that Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 980/970 has comprised over 80% of high-end card shipments to channel partners since mid-September.

That sounds like Intel type numbers to me.

Apples and oranges. You are talking one market segment where nVidia just released new cards to compete with one year old AMD tech. As far as competing perf wise, AMD does just fine. Wait until AMD releases their next cards they will compete just fine against nVidia's latest and won't require a pity purchase to decide on AMD over nVidia. In most market segments it takes naivety or strong brand preference to choose nVidia over AMD. Across the board if you spend the same money you will get superior performance from AMD. Excepting for the 980 where AMD hasn't released their competing card yet.

With Intel they simply out perform AMD across the board in all segments except for iGPU performance. nVidia can't be mentioned in the same context as Intel by comparison.

Sigh. Nvidia has been releasing a bunch of high end video cards since the R9 290x release 780ti,then gtx 980. I am still rocking my pair of r9 290x till 5k resolution. Regardless R9 380x looks promising

I don't understand why people try their damned hardest to justify their purchase sometimes. If you're happy with your purchase great, that's all that matters, so go and enjoy your product. Who cares how other people choose to spend their money and what their reasons might be. It's their money their business. This goes for people on both sides.

I don't understand why people try their damned hardest to justify their purchase sometimes. If you're happy with your purchase great, that's all that matters, so go and enjoy your product. Who cares how other people choose to spend their money and what their reasons might be. It's their money their business. This goes for people on both sides.

what I find funny is alot of people going back and forth about Nvidia and AMD are probably running 1080p60hz screens, thats 1 290x or 970/980/780ti gtx could max easily with no problems, yet cant wait to upgrade to the new hotness?....baffles my mind

95% of the people dont even use QHD or 4k.

Back on topic. I would expect all of the new cards to support and have HBM. It makes sense on so many levels, specially if AMD did go 20nm (remember AMD did say they would be shipping 20nm is Q1 2015 which Jan-March).

What I don't understand is why people have to defend 1 company or the other. Isn't it about price/performance? Which right now is a 290x for $299 or a 970 GTX.

Back