Changed CPU, not GPU won't work.

PRogers86

Limp Gawd
I swapped out my i3 2120 for an i7 2600k. After installation, one of my GTX 460's (I run sli) won't work. One of them, specifically. The PNY branded one works fine, but the NVIDIA reference card won't even allow the machine to boot (even just installed by itself). Anyone have an idea of whats going on?

Have you tried using the bad card on a different system? If it don't work then I would say you somehow fried your card.

Have you tried using the bad card on a different system? If it don't work then I would say you somehow fried your card.

I agree with Mike G. Sounds like your card was damaged during your hardware swap.

When you installed the new CPU did you remove your video cards first? Or did you leave them in?

When you installed the new CPU did you remove your video cards first? Or did you leave them in?

I left them in. I was installing a hyper 212 at the same time, and it's possible I slipped during the installation and nicked the top card with the screwdriver. Although I dont think i did. Everything was unplugged though.

Have you tried swapping around the video card power cables? If you removed the cards to install the new CPU it could be possible you damaged one of the power connectors on the card, or if you are using a modular power supply maybe pulled one of the power cables on the power supply out a bit (that is if you had not swapped them around to verify all were working with the card that is working). As a last thing.. had you tried to put the i3 back in?

Wow.....

Well, the first thing you should do is test that card on another system if possible.

Aside from that, i'd inspect the card closely for any damage that may have occurred during the drop and cpu/cooler swap.

Have you tried swapping around the video card power cables? If you removed the cards to install the new CPU it could be possible you damaged one of the power connectors on the card, or if you are using a modular power supply maybe pulled one of the power cables on the power supply out a bit (that is if you had not swapped them around to verify all were working with the card that is working). As a last thing.. had you tried to put the i3 back in?

I tried all combinations of power connectors. All worked with the PNY GTX 460 in both pcie slots, no combination of power connectors work with the Nvidia branded GTX 460 in either pcie slot. I haven't tried putting the i3 back in because the i7 boots up and runs like a champ with just the PNY card installed. Im going to try installing the problem card in a different computer and see of that works.

This thread is almost troll worthy.

Why did you not remove the video cards before swapping the CPU's?

I think it is fair to say that if your PNY works in both slots then your card is done-zo.

This thread is almost troll worthy.

Why did you not remove the video cards before swapping the CPU's?

I think it is fair to say that if your PNY works in both slots then your card is done-zo.

I didn't know removing the gpu was standard protocol when installing a cpu. How would that damage it? I could see accidentally stabbing your video card when you're trying to install a new hsf, but I didn't realize just having a video card in your motherboard is hazardous when swapping out your CPU.

I guess I must've damaged the card when I dropped my computer. It only fell about a foot, and didn't top over, but it was enough to bust one of the plastic feet on the bottom of the case. Oh well, at least it was just a GTX 460.

The lesson to be learned from this incident? Don't perform a delicate installation on your computer when youre drunk, no matter how excited you are to install your new 2600k. Alcohol impairs motor skills and good judgement.

Lol.

"hey guys all I did was change out the CPU"

"and drop the computer like 2 feet"

"and you know, kinda slipped with the screwdriver and impaled the card"

A++ would read again

Your card is dead

Cheap ass cards can't even be dropped from 2 feet....I'd contact NV directly and give them an earful.

Lol.

"hey guys all I did was change out the CPU"

"and drop the computer like 2 feet"

"and you know, kinda slipped with the screwdriver and impaled the card"

A++ would read again

Your card is dead

No, I don't think I hit the card with a screwdriver actually. What I meant is that I GUESS it could be a possibility that I couldve done something like that without realizing it. But I'm pretty sure even in my drunken stupor I didn't stab my card. I checked and there are no scratch marks.

In the end, a $90 video card is a small price to pay for being so stupid. I still have the other card, and I still have my new 2600k (thank god).

Back