Celery Vs. Pentium in math

Corvette

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to build/buy a cumpter to play chess on. I'd like it to be a capable math/streaming search type of comp, but I want it on the cheap. So, would a Celeron, of any generation, be that bad at something like super pi, folding, etc. (these are similar in functionto the chess prog.) when compared to its big brother?

I also want any opinions you may have on the subject, especially relating to older generations of Celery.

Vette

P.S. I have built my own computer, and have been around the AMD forum for years, I just know that cache crippled processors are not good at more traditional games (Quake, Doom, or what ever you kids are playing).

hmm if your looking for basicly a internet computer then celeron is fine i would stay away from the celeron and get like a 2500xp (around same price). i dislike my intel computer alot since trying to keep my computer stable on my bh5 ram is a pain in the but... if you get something like a 2.4ghz celeron they are knowen to overclock very well so if it doesnt seem fast enough for you, you can always up the fsb.(i got my 2.4 celeron to 3.3ghz).

For number crunching the larger cache of the P4 should help a lot. For accessing large data sets, such as the tree generated when evaluating moves, the higher memory bandwitdth of the P4 should help.

Thanks, I see where the memory and cache would help in looking at large date sets. In thinking I don't believe that number crunching is the only role. Having access to the results which on my 2500+ can get into the millions of possitions per second.

What about older gens like a PIII or Celery of that gen, also I am looking at getting used stuff, pref. with lots of RAM. Any ideas, I've been looking at FS/FT forum, but just this week, and have not seen anything that catches my eye yet.

Vette

Corvette said:
I'm looking to build/buy a cumpter to play chess on. I'd like it to be a capable math/streaming search type of comp, but I want it on the cheap. So, would a Celeron, of any generation, be that bad at something like super pi, folding, etc. (these are similar in functionto the chess prog.) when compared to its big brother?

My understanding is that Celerons are absolutely HORRIBLE for that sort of thing. Literally worst possible actually. Even compared to similarly priced alternatives. I'll see if I can find some benches to back that up.

That'd be cool, thnx. I thought that maybe the cheap raw Hz was all that was needed, but now I don't know.

Vette

The Hydra hardware program will be running on a 16-processer array that is located in Abu Dhabi and connected to the playing hall via the Internet. Deep Junior, too, is being run on a remote machine, located at Intel UK (Swindon) and containing 4 x 2.8 GHz Xeon processors. Fritz will run on a notebook (Centrino 1.7 GHz) that is on the stage in Bilbao. The organisers felt that this would provide interesting comparative data, for amateurs and press, about program performances on three different platforms.

Fritz (which was played on a 1.7 Centrino notebook) had the best record.

Vette

Back