Catalyst 12.1 Preview

Spree

Limp Gawd
Last edited:
Well these are the drivers just released per this Anandtech piece 6 hours ago http://www.anandtech.com/show/5223/...stom-application-profiles-hd3d-crossfire-more

Were released on guru3d 4 hours ago.

The driver packaging version of these starts with 8.93.10 whereas the one from your link starts 8.93-11. Also this one states the catalyst version as 12.1.

Also these include the multimedia part.

121%20preview.jpg

Wonder if this is the driver thats lets you make your own custom crossfire profiles?

Wonder if this is the driver thats lets you make your own custom crossfire profiles?

Well crossfire modes you can choose are:
- default mode
- AFR friendly
- Optimize 1x1
- Use AMD pre-defined profile (which to mind is probably the same as default mode)

Can't customise crossfire more than that from what I can see.

Couldn't get tri-fire + Eyefinity going. I don't know if these drivers would have helped. I got scaling in benchmarks and some decent scaling in BF3, but Crysis, Crysis 2 I lost FPS. I already send the third card back soo too late.

Downloading anyway...

anyone notice any increased performance in BF3 and/or Skyrim?

Any news on fan profiles? I'd sure love it if AMD would get around to adding that "minor" detail seeing as they support OC'ing with Overdrive. Watching the fan sit at 28% while my GPU's ramp up past 80c is not nearly as fun as I suspect AMD thinks. As is I set my fans to 50% manually while I game and set them back to 30% when not gaming. Smartdoctor and Afterburner do not play well with my system for some reason as far as fan profiles go so I'm stuck with CCC.

Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to 12.1 preview from 11.9 on a single card Radeon 6870 setup? (mostly using Skyrim)
-Lee

Is there any compelling reason to upgrade to 12.1 preview from 11.9 on a single card Radeon 6870 setup? (mostly using Skyrim)
-Lee

I thought there was a 5-7% boost in Skyrim if you play it on single cards but there might be some other improvements to games. Nothing really compelling to update for but you could try it.

I saw a couple posts about missing textures in Skyrim w/ 11.11a so I hadn't tried any of the 11.11 stuff since 11.9 wasn't breaking anything. Then again Single card is a lot different than Crossfire and most driver posts I've seen have been related to those crossfire issues. Only issues I've seen in that game at all have been a couple of crash to desktops when fiddling with stuff in the steam overlay and some weird occasional process hanging when actually exiting the game to desktop. - - And I'm running w/o anything but the bone stock install w/ auto patches from steam.

-lee

You guys are aware that this is not the final 12.1 right? Based on the numbering that's January's driver, and I don't think there's an official driver for this year's December yet even.

Any news on fan profiles? I'd sure love it if AMD would get around to adding that "minor" detail seeing as they support OC'ing with Overdrive. Watching the fan sit at 28% while my GPU's ramp up past 80c is not nearly as fun as I suspect AMD thinks. As is I set my fans to 50% manually while I game and set them back to 30% when not gaming. Smartdoctor and Afterburner do not play well with my system for some reason as far as fan profiles go so I'm stuck with CCC.

Really AB works good with every system i ever used it on, if your getting CTD's and stuff gaming with it, try unchecking enable low-level hardware access interface under settings, first option.

That setting makes my PB games crash, my fan profile is 10% at 40c, 20% at 50c and 47% max as it gets to 70c, set as a curve so it doesnt jump between them but is gradual lol.

MY CF toxic 6950's unlocked to 6970's run normally 66c together and idle silenty.

Installed 12.1 preview. My LCD calibration software cant detect the LCD's anymore. Removed and reinstalled 11.11c all is fine. That sucks...

Hopefully that gets fixed in the final release, I was looking forward to custom profiles.

Last edited:
Really AB works good with every system i ever used it on, if your getting CTD's and stuff gaming with it, try unchecking enable low-level hardware access interface under settings, first option.

That setting makes my PB games crash, my fan profile is 10% at 40c, 20% at 50c and 47% max as it gets to 70c, set as a curve so it doesnt jump between them but is gradual lol.

MY CF toxic 6950's unlocked to 6970's run normally 66c together and idle silenty.

Just done reinstalling the 12.1 Preview with 11.11CAP3 drivers. Uninstalled Smartdoctor and installed AB again. Now the fan profiles seem to work fine.. go figure. :p What GPU/Mem speeds and voltages are you using? Also.. what is your fan profile?

Holy crap.. AMD is finally adding..... Features to a driver set?

brb...

Yep.. Hell has officially frozen over..

Just installed 12.1 Preview and performance in BF3 is better than 11.11 with CAP3 :). Probably seeing around 7-10% better. Also noticed that my fans really didn't kick on until after a while when I was in the game. Before the FANS would go full blast when I got into the game.

I also didn't install any CAP on top of 12.1. Should I? It states that 12.1 should contain everything from the latest CAP already.

Just done reinstalling the 12.1 Preview with 11.11CAP3 drivers. Uninstalled Smartdoctor and installed AB again. Now the fan profiles seem to work fine.. go figure. :p What GPU/Mem speeds and voltages are you using? Also.. what is your fan profile?

I run 900/1350 stock volts, I didn't install any caps, not sure what is supposed to be installed, havent seen any confirmation if 11.11cap 3 should be installed or not.
LBoKz.jpg

Some guy on the guru forms said NOT to install CAP3 as it causes performance decrease. I only installed 12.1 and I am loving it so far. Just tested BF3. BTW, I am running TriFire.

Some guy on the guru forms said NOT to install CAP3 as it causes performance decrease. I only installed 12.1 and I am loving it so far. Just tested BF3. BTW, I am running TriFire.

thanks, trying without 11.11 CAP3

Interesting - wonder if this will make any difference for Serious Sam 3 - will try when I get home.

I have two monitors, a cheap dell 23" and my primary Asus IPS ML239. After installing the preview drivers, the image/desktop on my primary ML239 doesn't cover the whole screen anymore. I can't find anything in the monitor setup to auto adjust display either, as it seems to do it automatically. Now installing the old 11b drivers, the display is just fine again.
Don't suppose anyone has any idea's on what to do here?

Ok, its worse than I thought. Downgrading drivers doesn't help. I switched monitor ports and the problem follows the port, not the monitor, so its not a monitor problem. I downgraded to 11b. I switched out cables as well, and its not a cable issue. So at least the problem is on the secondary monitor now instead of the primary. However, even the text looks blurry on it, probably because the resolution is borked.

I took out my overclock. I switched the little switch on the card back to the default bios and it still has the issue. I'm wondering if my card secondary port is borked now. I may try putting in a 22" 1680x1050 monitor and see if that changes things I guess.../sigh the hits just keep coming....

ob1 - I think I know what your issue is. It is the image scaling option in catalyst. Go to the My Digital Flat-Panels section > Properties, and play around with the image scaling setting.

I remember having this issue one day with some Dell 23" IPS panels, drove me crazy until I found it was simply this catalyst setting that decided to change itself.

Ok, its worse than I thought. Downgrading drivers doesn't help. I switched monitor ports and the problem follows the port, not the monitor, so its not a monitor problem. I downgraded to 11b. I switched out cables as well, and its not a cable issue. So at least the problem is on the secondary monitor now instead of the primary. However, even the text looks blurry on it, probably because the resolution is borked.

I took out my overclock. I switched the little switch on the card back to the default bios and it still has the issue. I'm wondering if my card secondary port is borked now. I may try putting in a 22" 1680x1050 monitor and see if that changes things I guess.../sigh the hits just keep coming....
It sounds to me like you are just having a scaling issue. I dont know it you are able to choose between different monitors but This always helps for me.

Go to your Catalyst control center window and click My digital flat panel. Then click on scaling options and mess with the slider

Haven't installed preview drivers for ages... Normal for almost none of the video settings able to be used? Steady Video, Video Quality slider options all just grayed out.

Haven't installed preview drivers for ages... Normal for almost none of the video settings able to be used? Steady Video, Video Quality slider options all just grayed out.

Steady video is for the AMD APU's, same with the other greyed setting.

edit to add:
hmm actually apparently amd 6xxx gpu's can use steady video IF the cpu is also amd... wtf?

Last edited:
This is a stupid question.......but here goes.......

How do you "uninstall" a CAP??

If I go to the control panel>programs>uninstall............I immediately blue screen the computer.

If you have a CAP installed....say CAP11.11 #3 and uninstall the driver version say 11.11c, does that CAP hang around, since it's different software?

I want to flush all my CAPs and 11.11c and start fresh with this 12.1 preview.:D

This is a stupid question.......but here goes.......

How do you "uninstall" a CAP??

If I go to the control panel>programs>uninstall............I immediately blue screen the computer.

If you have a CAP installed....say CAP11.11 #3 and uninstall the driver version say 11.11c, does that CAP hang around, since it's different software?

I want to flush all my CAPs and 11.11c and start fresh with this 12.1 preview.:D

uninstall 11.11c, then uninstall the CAP.

I run 900/1350 stock volts, I didn't install any caps, not sure what is supposed to be installed, havent seen any confirmation if 11.11cap 3 should be installed or not.
LBoKz.jpg

Thanks for the info. I run mine at 870/1375 and set my profile as follows:

fanprofile.png

At 30% I can barely hear the fans at all and I get good idle temps in the 30~40c range. At 100% load temps top out about 71c for the top card after 3 straight hours of BF3 all ultra settings. Fans never exceeded the 50% usage threshold so I think I'm good-2-go. :D

I'd like some clarification on using the CAP with the 12.1 as well. I'm running 11.11CAP3 and I'm not having issues. I did not see anything in the 12.1 preview notes that mentions the CAP at all so I'm guessing to leave it in place. :confused:

Thanks guys, it was the scaling issue. It was 15% underscan for some reason, and changed it back to 0, and its full screen again, and text looks fine. I wonder why it happens like that with those drivers. Going to try a driver wipe, then install the preview drivers again to see if it does the same thing. Now to turn back on my unlocked core bios and overclock dammit...woot

It would be really good to see AMD including per-game profile settings, like nVidia's drivers, that are applied on game launch.

I know we got ATT and Radeon Pro for that, but something like this should have been included on their Vision Engine thing a long time ago.

I am literally so sick to death of AMD and their bottom of the barrel shit drivers I could scream. Never once have I been able to upgrade my AMD graphics drivers and not have a 2 hour frustration fest, and the fun continues with 12.1!

Installed the drivers, and now Catalyst control center only gives me 3 options, hydravision and desktop shit. I have NO options whatsoever for Eyefinity, Crossfire, or anything useful. It's like a worthless shell of a control center with crap options. I have used driver sweeper to remove EVERYTHING AMD, and installed them all over again, and the same shit happens. The driver installs in 40 seconds flat (so I know something is clearly wrong) and this happens over and over and over. Is there a proper way to get this driver installed so it is functional?

your not suppose to use driver sweeper or driver cleaner with these drivers anymore it !

it totaly fucks up the registry and install of the drivers. I have learned this the hard way. to uninstall the drivers now all you do is go into control panel uninstall the AMD install manager and do a complete uinstall restart your pc and then install new drivers. It will wipe everything out of windows for you. hope this helps

your not suppose to use driver sweeper or driver cleaner with these drivers anymore it !

it totaly fucks up the registry and install of the drivers. I have learned this the hard way. to uninstall the drivers now all you do is go into control panel uninstall the AMD install manager and do a complete uinstall restart your pc and then install new drivers. It will wipe everything out of windows for you. hope this helps

This does not work. Beforehand I tried this. When I rebooted, my monitors were still at full resolution and device manager was reporting that drivers were still present for my graphics cards.

Back