Cases with 1/2" clearances between sides?

dr/owned

Gawd
I'm a fan of quieter computing, so I love putting high density foam sheeting in my computer to help cut down on echo and sound transmission. Only problem is that I'm upgrading now (full size) and would like to find a case that would fit 1/2" or more of foam on all the panels (behind motherboard tray, etc). It seems that every case seems to follow roughly the same dimensions and cage/tray placements.

Any suggested cases with lots of room for sound proofing?

I just got a Fractal Design Define XL that should work. It's got at least a half inch of clearance behind the mainboard. You'd be upgrading the existing foam though, as it already has some on a lot of the panels. The space on the back side was meant for cabling. There's enough space back there for all the cables off a 1000W non-modular PSU.

Have you seen the Fractal Design define R3? It comes with noise absorbing material stock.

I just got a Fractal Design Define XL that should work. It's got at least a half inch of clearance behind the mainboard. You'd be upgrading the existing foam though, as it already has some on a lot of the panels. The space on the back side was meant for cabling. There's enough space back there for all the cables off a 1000W non-modular PSU.
I think we have a winner here. Or at least competition for one of the Lian Li aluminum monster cases costing way more. How thick is the stock foam and what's the gap between the side panels and the widest part of the interior structure? I'm a bit worried that the 9.13" total width means that 1/4 foam is all you can fit in most places except behind the mobo.

Have you seen the Fractal Design define R3? It comes with noise absorbing material stock.

Yes but I'm a "I can do it better" kinda guy (and I'd prefer full tower since this is going to be a "fully loaded" rig). Planning on putting 1/4" of hard neoprene rubber (2.5 lbs / sq ft) as the base layer and another 1/4" of open cell foam above that. Neoprene to stop sound transmission, open cell to stop reverberation. My current case only took me 2-3 hours to foam up (1/4 inch volara), and it became whisper quiet even with high speed fans and whatnot.

Antec 1100 has tons of space.

36 mm behind motherboard tray

Ahh but it has a window. Forgot to mention that it can't have a window otherwise you'd see the adhesive behind the foam.

Last edited:
Blackhawk Ultra and related cases have about an inch from the motherboard tray to the back panel.

Back