Case recommendations for a box containing 8 drives?

Akirasoft

n00b
So after losing one of my 250GB drives in my current file server I have decided I need to put together a more robust solution utilizing RAID5. I'd like to go with 2x80gb drives in raid1 (off mobo based controller) to store OS and program files and then a RAID5 array of 6 400GB drives off an addin sataII raid controller. Currently I am looking at the 3ware series but I'm look for a more cost effective pci-express based solution, the 3ware cards are inordinantly more expensive in their pci-e versions versus their pci-x versions.

So that brings me to my question, is there an ATX case that is capable of holding 8 3.5" drives and preventing them from overheating? Any recommendations would be nice. And if my solution sounds utterly retarded, feel free to let me know as well ;)

Supermicro makes some nice (but huge and fairly loud) cases. The CSE-743T-645B (hey, that rhymes!) is really quite nice - it's not terribly loud (but that doesn't mean it's silent by any means - it still has 4 5krpm fans in it), comes with a 645W power supply which is actually 645W and 12V@46A, and stuff is hotswappable (fans, drives). $356 at the linked site for case + power supply. There are cases with larger power supplies, but they're remarkably expensive and probably unnecessary for only 8 drives.

That said, what other hardware is going in this box?

thanks for the suggestions, I was looking at the stacker, with that hard drive cage (mainly for the supplemental cooling it provides). Noise isnt' a concern, my "servers" are all in a closet right now and will soon be relocated to the basement (primarily for heat concerns, it can get pretty warm in the closet even tho (this is very strange) the closet has a window.

The large PCIe PCI-X price gap with the 3ware cards is probably because the PCI-X ones are being sold at a loss to clear out inventory.

Akirasoft said:
thanks for the suggestions, I was looking at the stacker, with that hard drive cage (mainly for the supplemental cooling it provides). Noise isnt' a concern, my "servers" are all in a closet right now and will soon be relocated to the basement (primarily for heat concerns, it can get pretty warm in the closet even tho (this is very strange) the closet has a window.
a closet with a view, how nice ;)

Depending on the features you need, I would consider looking at the Highpoint card(s) 23x0 or Areca.

Back