Can't stop the Delayed Write Error

Silent.Sin

Gawd
If there is anyone on this forum who has gone through one USB external enclosure that gets those ridiculous Delayed Write Failed errors to another one that doesn't, could you please let me know which one you changed to? I'd prefer that the new enclosure have a USB hub on it but no big whoop if it doesn't.

What I've got currently is a 250GB WD sitting inside a ZDisc Cube Drive (link) which has inside of it a Genesys GL811 controller chip (link). I haven't been able to find much info about that particular controller anywhere, but apparently they suck.

I've been experiencing that oh so user friendly problem ambiguosly labeled as a Delayed Write Failed error since I've had the enclosure. It happens randomly, sometimes it takes a couple of days, sometimes it happens right when I boot up. Of the hundreds of posts I've read on this topic that span the interweb I've come across some pretty general similarities among everyone who's had the problem. All of the posters who described their system seem to be using video cards with ATi chipsets pointing to a possible driver issue that hasn't been worked out. The brand of HD does not matter, nor does the size, type of connection (IEEE1394 or USB2.0), or cost of enclosure. Another similarity is that nobody can find a definite fix for this nonsense.

Here's what I've tried so far to fix it:
-Disabled write caching
-Changed system scheduling/memory option to Programs
-Made sure LargeSystemCache was disabled
-Increased # of "SystemPages" whatever that means (link)
-Changed my AGP aperture to all different sizes supported by my BIOS
-Changing which physical USB port the enclosure is attached to
-Disabled Indexing Service
-Non-use of drive after a reboot, still gave the error after awhile meaning Windows is doing something to automatically communicate with the drive that involves writing to the MFT, maybe something like an auto sync?

System:
ASrock Dual939-SATAII
Athlon X2 3800+
1GB (2x512) Corsair 3200XMSProLL
ATi X800XL 256MB (AGP)
Gamesurround Fortissimo III 7.1
USB devices: mouse, keyboard, printer, camera, enclosure

I've looked around at some alternative enclosures cuz at this point I'm pretty sure I'm just gonna have to buy a new one. I'm just worried by the posts that I've read because the problem seems to happen across so many different enclosures how can I be sure that it will actually fix my problem? Also why the hell don't more of these things come with USB hubs on them? My case doesn't have any frontal USB ports so plugging in a flash key is a pain. Seems like a pretty logical extra to include if you ask me. Sorry for the long post if you're still reading this, I just get bugged by problems that I can't find a concrete answer to that should be fairly easy to fix or not exist at all. PlugNPlay ftw.

Silent.Sin said:
What I've got currently is a 250GB WD sitting inside a ZDisc Cube Drive (link) which has inside of it a Genesys GL811 controller chip (link). I haven't been able to find much info about that particular controller anywhere, but apparently they suck.[...]

I did not read the rest of your informative post, but if they suck then I do not think that you need to look much further. Try a different chipset (Cypress used to be great) and see whether that will change it.

Any recommendations on a cypress enclosure? I wish more websites would list what controller chip these things used.

Back