Can I get some upgrade recommendations? Board, CPU, RAM, Cooler

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
So long story short, I'm running quite the antiquated system that just called it quits today. The newest addition to it is a GTX 1070 I bought back in 2016, while everything else is probably encroaching on the ten year mark based on my order history at NewEgg.

As the subject says, I'm looking for a processor, motherboard, cooler, and ram upgrade recommendation. Everything else I have for the full build can be salvaged from the current machine. I have a Corsair RM1000 that I just bought recently, that will be powering the build.

I'm fine with the 1070 as I don't do anything over 1080p right now, and I doubt I'll ever get into 4K gaming anytime soon. The closest I'd probably ever get to 4K within the next 2-3 years would be 1440p. Even then, 1440p would probably be the new low end/budget build standard before I end up going to it.

Budget wise I'd like to keep the total package under $1000. Slightly over is okay if it's a noticable difference in performance and/or quality.

Note: I am not including a copy of Windows 11 into the budget, as I am going to see if I can get my copy of 10 to work first. If it won't, then I will cross that bridge when I get there.

Thanks!

intel or amd or dont care? is your 10 key retail? if so, should transfer fine, might need to disassociate it if you use a ms account.

intel or amd or dont care? is your 10 key retail? if so, should transfer fine, might need to disassociate it if you use a ms account.
Don't care which, I just want something that will last a few years without needing a serious upgrade.

I *think* my Win10 key is retail but I'll have to check. Worst case, I can probably get my hands on Win10 or Win11 no problem.

today is a good day to buy ;)

intel:
1643410828696.png

as per usual youll get maybe one chip update on this and thats it, so a 12900k should carry it for a while. dont bother with jumping to ddr5, not worth it yet.

amd:
1643411029135.png

this is the last chipset update for am4 so this is as good as its gonna get until am5. should still carry you for quite a while.
on both you will be gpu limited but with be able to drop in whatever you want later without cpu being an issue. if you want air cooling, switch to a D15 for about $30 price increase.

Back