Can hackers hack MW2 so that it can use dedicated servers / lan?

PS3

[H]ard|Gawd
You have all these hackers creating aimbots and wallhacks and what not, why can't they use their genius and some how hack the game so that people can use dedicated servers. This will solve everyone's problem that has a vendetta with this game! And then, when IW finds out about it they will probably just officially allow dedicated servers.

Could this be done? Or would this be an impossible task. :confused:

I do not see why, that fact thats its in the original MW, should be possible for the right group of programmers. I was thinking about this earlier, and when it does happen then i will get it

While this thread is likely to get the 'dead thread' treatment.

It's more likey a fake IWnet server / 'patch' to connect to it would be done, as it's entirely likely IW completely removed the dedicated server code, just to prevent this sort of thing from happening.

Sortof like fake WaW servers.

No mods, remember? IW said no to them.

Also, mods typically are graphic, not codebase mods, as that would typically require an API (rarely provided) or the source code (next to never available).

I don't think hackers waste their time making cheats or mods for video games. More like modders do that stuff.

No mods, remember? IW said no to them.

Also, mods typically are graphic, not codebase mods, as that would typically require an API (rarely provided) or the source code (next to never available).

Maybe this'll inspire modders to take it a step deeper to get their content into the game, just like the hackers... crack the codebase then mess with it from there. Maybe Activision/IW is trying to prove a point by gimping the PC version? I think it's quite obvious that preventing piracy is near impossible no matter what... PC users are resilient to getting around our own way.

Maybe this'll inspire modders to take it a step deeper to get their content into the game, just like the hackers... crack the codebase then mess with it from there. Maybe Activision/IW is trying to prove a point by gimping the PC version? I think it's quite obvious that preventing piracy is near impossible no matter what... PC users are resilient to getting around our own way.

It's more like an impossible task. Unless there still exists code for dedicated servers, people will not be able to add them. Even if there was code for it, it would be hard to do anything with it. Modding the game is also another hard task that may not even be possible. Besides, if ever the game was edited in such way, IW would probably start shutting down dedicated servers. So no, I highly doubt PC gamers will get their own way unless IW decides to put those features back in there.

It would take some It's definitely possible but I somehow don't think and idea like this will ever see the light of day. It would probably take a very dedicated team to pull it off. Even if someone did it, they would be servers for pirates so I wouldn't expect it to boost game sales, not that IW needs it.

I get the feeling most people on PC will slowly migrate back to CoD4 or stop playing MW2 after the hype wears off. They will get sick of the cheaters and want to go back to their respective game communities.

the only way i can see them getting around the dedicated server.. is by being able to modify the game so that the server is hosted on a dedicated server but the actual host isnt playing the game through the server.. so pretty much the server host is just a spectator.. thats the only way it would work.. but thats impossible to do since the game would not run through any VNC's since a VNC uses a generic video input/output.. the game would not recognize it thus it wouldnt work.. so you get around that you would have to create an auto run that could some how automatically start the game server side and set the server up without needing anyone else to do it..

so on that note.. no.. there will never be dedicated servers in MW2 unless IW decides to change their minds..

This is definitely possible, and if the game is big enough, it may just happen.

A clever person could capture the packets going coming and going during a session. Slowly (oh so very slowly!) the may be able to understand the commands that are exchanged between the client and the server. They could eventually build an application that can talk to the client.

Getting the client to talk to their application instead of the official server would be easy. An entry in a hosts file to redirect a DNS entry or some configuration changes on your router and you're good to go.

It's possible. Difficult. Most likely illegal. And very time consuming. But possible.

my understanding is this is already in progress. they are doing an EMU of steam to pull this off, if i read it right.

the problem is, IW(infinity ward) fooks over the people who buy the game and want these features, but people who pirate this game will be able to LAN and play on dedicated servers. Go figure, A+ infinity ward, way to stick it to the people who legitamately buy your crap (cause thats what the PC version is this time arround). I admit, the single player is hot, but these little anoyances make me regret my purchase decision.

I get the feeling most people on PC will slowly migrate back to CoD4 or stop playing MW2 after the hype wears off. They will get sick of the cheaters and want to go back to their respective game communities.

And unfortunately they already spent their $60 so IW doesn't care if that happens.

It's theoretically possible in the same way that given a computer, you recreate Windows on your own. It's the same thing as the possibility of DX10 on Windows XP, if you just replace parts of XP until you can get a component of Vista working in XP, at what point is that different than just uninstalling XP and installing Vista? 100%? 50? 10%? Is it practical to transpose all that code from Vista to XP? Of course it's possible, but that's not the issue.

It's software, in theory, anyone could recreate the wheel. But is it feasible to do so? In this case, no. It's not going to happen. Those with the knowledge needed don't care enough to blow their time on this.

Last edited:
People have been able to emulate Battle.net and World of Warcraft servers so I am sure that someone will be able to do the same with MW2. Where there's a will, there's a way.

I'm pretty sure they have it where you can host you own dedicated server, but they haven't made it joinable yet.

creating a hack for a game is about 1/100,000th the amount of work as re-writing the client server model especially to intergrate it with IWnet and keep all the matchmaking features.

People have been able to emulate Battle.net and World of Warcraft servers so I am sure that someone will be able to do the same with MW2. Where there's a will, there's a way.

That's a completely different animal.

Battle.net is a chat client, nothing more. When you play a game on Battle.net, it's a local host. Notice how if you're in a Warcraft 3 game you can disconnect from Battle.net and still remain in the game. It's because they're separate. Battle.net games also have a convenient LAN option that can be exploited using Hamachi.

World of Warcraft already has the server code in the game. The issue with MW2 is that the dedicated server code isn't even there to begin with. How do you emulate that which does not even exist?

That's a completely different animal.

Battle.net is a chat client, nothing more. When you play a game on Battle.net, it's a local host. Notice how if you're in a Warcraft 3 game you can disconnect from Battle.net and still remain in the game. It's because they're separate. Battle.net games also have a convenient LAN option that can be exploited using Hamachi.

World of Warcraft already has the server code in the game. The issue with MW2 is that the dedicated server code isn't even there to begin with. How do you emulate that which does not even exist?

I beg to differ about Battle.net being just a chat client. I am not sure how much I am able to admit without getting banned here so I won't. Just know that I am talking about CLOSED Battle.net versus OPEN Battle.net or the LAN option. Open/LAN is strictly P2P whereas closed is not.

I beg to differ about Battle.net being just a chat client. I am not sure how much I am able to admit without getting banned here so I won't. Just know that I am talking about CLOSED Battle.net versus OPEN Battle.net or the LAN option. Open/LAN is strictly P2P whereas closed is not.

Then how do you explain being disconnected from Battle.net and still remaining in the game? It's a common occurance in Warcraft 3.

Also, custom games are obviously P2P.

Regardless of what it actually is, the code is already there to begin with. Which is non existent in MW2.

Then how do you explain being disconnected from Battle.net and still remaining in the game? It's a common occurance in Warcraft 3.

Also, custom games are obviously P2P.

Regardless of what it actually is, the code is already there to begin with. Which is non existent in MW2.

Closed battle.net must have more going on than a simple p2p connection, the characters aren't stored on either peer's machine.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Progress is being made on MW2, as someone else posted you can create a server but nobody can join it. It'll happen, sooner rather than later. I'd be surprised if it wasn't done by the end of next week.

Closed battle.net must have more going on than a simple p2p connection, the characters aren't stored on either peer's machine.

Well then I'm pretty sure we're also referring to different games such as Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3. In a Warcraft 3 ladder game if you D/C from Battle.net your game literally doesn't count.

In the context of Diablo 2 then yes you need to send information to some server storing your character.

Yes, but that's my point, that emulated closed battle.net servers have more going on than a chat client, and emulating them clearly wasn't impossible. Emulating world of warcraft servers also wasn't impossible, as there's a huge number of them around now. Why should emulating IWnet be so much harder?

I don't think hackers waste their time making cheats or mods for video games. More like modders do that stuff.

orly

http://www.artificialaiming.net

looks like they're making quite a bit of cash, $10-30 for subscriptions to fully vac-secure hacks that no one is doing a damn thing about. and we know that idiots are paying when they get banned by admins left and right, all these kids are not making their own exploits to these games. only difference between a modder and a hacker is how much they know about what they're modifying.

Yes, but that's my point, that emulated closed battle.net servers have more going on than a chat client, and emulating them clearly wasn't impossible. Emulating world of warcraft servers also wasn't impossible, as there's a huge number of them around now. Why should emulating IWnet be so much harder?

Because it'd still be P2P and not dedicated? Emulating IWnet would just be for the pirates.

Intel; Fair enough, I guess we were discussing something slightly different! I wonder, then; Is it the game software that determines who hosts etc, or is it IWNet?

For legit players, I don't think there will ever be the possibility of dedicated servers. If you want dedicated servers, why not just play COD4? Anything COD6 has that COD4 doesn't will surely be modded in soon enough.

This.
Why bother spending time trying to patch/hack/mod one game when the previous title already has all those things in place, plus lean, plus an active community? It makes no sense.

MW2 buzz will wear off, and I'd bet that the few PC gamers out there that do play it will move onto bigger and better things...or back to CoD4. ;)

orly

http://www.artificialaiming.net

looks like they're making quite a bit of cash, $10-30 for subscriptions to fully vac-secure hacks that no one is doing a damn thing about. and we know that idiots are paying when they get banned by admins left and right, all these kids are not making their own exploits to these games. only difference between a modder and a hacker is how much they know about what they're modifying.

The term "hacker" is used way too loosely these days. These days anyone is hacker for just a bunch of cheats.

Some people are dreaming. There is no way to get dedicated servers to work and play on them with a legit copy. I don't even think the best modders or coders could do anything about it.

Nice to see from some posts that there might be a possibility of someone hacking so that dedicated servers will work. I think some hackers/modders would find it worth their time, as they definitely will get some fame and notoriety for cracking a controversial feature that IW denied...a feature that thousands based their decision on not buying the game.

New maps and some newer features make it better than cod4 I think. But I don't really like cod4 myself, I'd rather play cod5. After the single player campaign in mw2, I found multiplayer fun for a while, but I just like cod5 better. I mean there is nothing better than killing nazis all day :) on a 32 man server. I will probably go back to mw2 multi when or if someone hacks this game so we can play it 'the way it's meant to be played.

what? :confused:
can hackers really hack MechWarrior 2 ?!?!?!?! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Oh noes!!! :D

pretty sure its possible but then I doubt hosting companies will have any part in hacked servers and then you need a master server to browse all the available game servers which wont go unnoticed by IW/Activision

pretty sure its possible but then I doubt hosting companies will have any part in hacked servers and then you need a master server to browse all the available game servers which wont go unnoticed by IW/Activision

That is another issue that comes up.

wouldn't surprise me if a mod came out for CoD 4 that emulated MW 2 and was distributed for free

it's possible to do since it's basically the same engine with some more modifications done

Cod4 has more features in reality. Mw2 just looks a tiny bit better with some tweaks here and there but i bet all the stuff in mw2 can be done in cod4. I bet we'll see a dedicated server hack some how soon.

Back