Can ESXi finally use onboard RAID? (C606)

TCM

Gawd
Hi,

ESXi has been notorious for being unable to use onboard RAIDs, requiring extra hardware to have basic RAID1 protection for datastores in all-in-one setups.

With the new C602/C606 chipsets, we are getting SATA/SAS RAID capability (while still being able to use SATA drives in the SAS case, I hope).

Has anyone tried to use a RAID1 on C602/C606 as a datastore and have it work? Is the SAS RAID of the C606 finally a "real" RAID making the extra Euros over the C602 worth it?

*bump*

Come on, someone must own one of these already. I'm still waiting 2-3 weeks for stocks to fill :/

I could still change my order from X9DRi-F to X9DR3-F if that makes ESXi happier.

Go find a friendly shop and try it out.
There has to be someone out there that would experiment so they could sell the solution to clients.

Got my X9DR3-F for a long time now. Yes, C606 works. No, not with RAID, individual drives only.

I haven't seen a true hardware raid integrated with a motherboard (outside of a name brand server) since one of the Asus boards in 2008. :(

I haven't seen a true hardware raid integrated with a motherboard (outside of a name brand server) since one of the Asus boards in 2008. :(

You considering Supermicro name brand? They have real onboard LSI chips that are identical to the physical RAID controllers.

I thought they were only using SAS2308 currently which isn't a "proper" RoC. Should still do usable R0/1/1E though.

Looks like a normal SATA controller to me, with SAS connectors. I'll dig more.

That board is SATA only. 8x connections coming from the mini-SAS connectors and 2x Sata3 connectors.

probably not much of a market for true onboard RAID setups. It would drive the cost of a mobo up. Anyone who needs would just get a addon card.

Back