C2D/8800GTX rig being recruited for HTPC duty...

Alright guys, the rig in my sig is getting recruited for HTPC duty in a couple weeks as I build up my new i5 rig, and I know this 8800GTX is a monster of a power hog and not necessary for an HTPC, so what card would you guys recommend to throw in there? It will be doing mostly 720p but maybe some 1080p so I would like that option. It will be used on a 46" 120hz 1080p TV that has VGA and HDMI inputs. I know I cant use the VGA for 1080p so I guess HDMI will be the way to go. Thanks guys!

EDIT: Also, this will still be in a bigger case and regular ATX mobo, so no size restrictions or any thing.

Last edited:
maybe Ati 6770 series? Im thinking honestly if the noise/power consuption doesnt bother you, use the same card.

Not worried about noise at all, its got on HR-03 plus on it with a pretty slow spinning 120mm fan, I just know that these things are power hungry and that theres probably a better solution for just an HTPC.

I don't have any problem just using that, saves me money.:p I just thought there was a much more logical option for what its going to be used for.

For HTPC usage, you'll be fine with the HD 5450 or HD 6450.

Thank you very much Danny! After some quick googling it seems that either the HD 5450 or HD 6450 will consume maybe 10 watts or so, give or take, whereas my 8800gtx can pull like 140+, so thats a good chunk if you ask me!

5450/6450 is a good choice for HTPC, but if you want a similar performing card to your 8800GTX then consider the 6750/6770. just fyi, i upgraded from 8800 Ultra to 5750 for HTPC, same as you.

Alright I'll consider those as well, in case I want to bring up an old game on it or something.:) Thanks for all the suggestions.

Back