Brand new monitor -- severe ghosting!

jbz7890

Gawd
My Planar PX2710MW just arrived today. It's huge and beautiful with no dead pixels, but it has horrific ghosting. When I simply drag my mouse around the screen, I see a huge trail of white following the cursor, no matter how slowly I move it. This is especially alarming given the advertised 2ms response time.

Do you guys think I ended up with a dud, or do you think ghosting may be a general problem for the line of monitors I purchased? Do you think it's worth exchanging for the same monitor or should I be looking at different models?

It claims 2ms grey to grey. It must be a dud. Do you have monitor overdrive enabled in your software? It may be the cause of your problems or the solution.

Have you tried doing a search yet to see if others are having the same issue?

It's a long shot but you can also peruse amazon and newegg reviews to see what other owners have to say.

Because if it is truly that bad, and not related to a bad setting, then others will have mentioned it by now.

Newer TN panels should be a little more immune to this issue imho.

Good luck either way though.

You haven't mentioned if you're familiar with LCD monitors. If you came from a good CRT, and this is your first LCD, then welcome to the world of slow response times. Even the best LCDs are no comparison to a CRT. Otherwise, I have a Planar, although not the exact model you have, and the performance seems typical to me for an LCD.

You haven't mentioned if you're familiar with LCD monitors. If you came from a good CRT, and this is your first LCD, then welcome to the world of slow response times. Even the best LCDs are no comparison to a CRT. Otherwise, I have a Planar, although not the exact model you have, and the performance seems typical to me for an LCD.

Who has experienced their first LCD monitor in 2012?!!?!! :confused:

I compared the Planar to my old Samsung LCD, and the Planar had much more ghosting, despite have the same advertised response time.

I would like to give Planar another shot, but I'm worried that the ghosting may be inherent in the entire product line, unlike, say dead pixels, which exist only at the level of individual units.

Do you guys think that something may be wrong with just my monitor and not the Px2710MW series? The Planar rep suggested that the monitor could have been damaged during shipping, but I'm skeptical.

Do you guys think I should ask for a refund or try my luck with an exchange first?

refund.

If you want a gaming monitor get a 120hz display. These are the best

AMD 3D
Samsung S23A700/750D

Nvidia 3D Compatible
Asus VG236HE (glossy)
Planar SA2311W (matte)

refund.

AMD 3D
Samsung S23A700/750D

Nvidia 3D Compatible
Asus VG236HE (glossy)
Planar SA2311W (matte)

I'm very impressed with 120hz monitors, but all of them are well beyond my budget of about $200.

refund.

AMD 3D
Samsung S23A700/750D

Nvidia 3D Compatible
Asus VG236HE (glossy)
Planar SA2311W (matte)

The refresh rate has nothing to do with response time and ghosting. It's totally unnecessary unless you want 3D.

The refresh rate has nothing to do with response time and ghosting. It's totally unnecessary unless you want 3D.

The refresh rate basically eliminates sample and host ghosting. Which makes them the fastest performing monitors around in terms of 'Motion Resolution'.

Come on guys the guy is getting ghosting moving the mouse I have never seen any LCD do that.

Did you install the monitor drivers, does the right monitor show up in device manager?
Did you go into the menu of the monitor and check the setting.
How do you have it connected, DVI, HDMI did you use the cable that came with the unit?
Did you go into the windows display settings make sure the refresh rate is set to 60hz

uninstall your video drivers and any tweaking software you might have installed that was used on your previous monitor. uninstall the old monitor software.
Install the lastest video card drivers.

Just some things to try good luck!

No LCD screen would cause this unless it was not functioning properly I am sure it is just a setting that is off. This monitor has some pretty good reviews and I bet it rocks for gaming.

My brother has that Planar Monitor and it doesn't have a ghosting issue.
he uses it for gaming, BF3, MW3, etc...
He uses an HD6850/6870 Crossfire setup along with a Samsung 24" for the second screen.

I compared the Planar with my Asus VH236H and again noticed that the Planar was ghosting a lot more.

The Planar doesn't have an overdrive option in the OSD, and I suspect the lack of overdrive is causing the ghosting. When I turn overdrive off on my Asus and Samsung monitors, I get noticeable ghosting as well.

So perhaps the Planar monitor lacks the feature that is required to produce 2ms response times on TN panels.

Asus VH236H

So you just got an Asus, nice. The Planar probably has overdrive but that doesn't mean that it is fast. You can't really expect much from such a cheap 27". Many monitors don't allow you to adjust the overdrive while Samsung and Asus have multiple options.

So you just got an Asus, nice. The Planar probably has overdrive but that doesn't mean that it is fast. You can't really expect much from such a cheap 27". Many monitors don't allow you to adjust the overdrive while Samsung and Asus have multiple options.

Yeah, I purchased the Asus a little over a week ago but decided I wanted a larger screen, so I went with the Planar. However, the Planar was very disappointing with its ghosting, which I never saw on the Asus.

I'll probably return both and get the HP 2511x, which has a beautiful glossy screen and is the perfect size for me.

Back