Bought two antec 300's from best buy one came with a surprise

muzzle79

Gawd
On 10/29/10 I bought two antec 300 cases for $59.99 each as well as two external 2tb hds for my new mac mini server. Total purchase 405.19 (I'm also a premier silver member having bought over 4k worth of stuff (Misc stuff too not one large ticket item.)

I had originally bought the cases to replace two mis matched and worn lian li cased systems. I transferred the first system ( Athlon based system used as a XEN server for VM's) and no problems. Opened the first case and transferred fine. I then removed the components for the second case, and accidently broke off the heatsink from the LGA775 cpu. I put everything on hold until i had time to purchase one.

Fast forward to tonight, I snagged on at another Best Buy on my way home from a friends place. I decided if it worked i'd finish up tonight and build out my astaro router.
I tested the Heatsink on my bench and everything went well so I decided to go downstairs to open up the case to bring it up stairs.

Upon opening this is what I found.

5153386726_a4c60474ab_b.jpg

5153386922_3866d30bd2_b.jpg

5152780605_eafe26a57a_b.jpg

5153387748_4480cc53bb_b.jpg

5152780207_f52be40106_b.jpg

5152779807_b237278ede_b.jpg

5153387330_337935e51c_b.jpg

That's right a busted ass case with dirty clothes inside!!!!!
I can't even begin to state how furious I am. Needless to say, tomorrow they better damn well take care of this.

Has anyone else had this problem before?

Last edited:
Was it an open box? Demand to get a replacement for free.

Hence another reason not to buy from Best Buy.

It is funny looking at it, but so damn frustrating at the same time.
The lady on the 800 number didn't seem to believe me.

It appears sealed, although after looking at the box a bit closer it looks like tape was laid over. I'd never have noticed though as I pulled it off the shelf this way.

More importantly this was not an open box priced item.
Therefore they sold me something as new (used even if it was correct)
not to mention the above condition.

Wonder what happened to the squirrel that made that mess of the rear fan? Did it happen to jump out when you opened the box?

Wonder what happened to the squirrel that made that mess of the rear fan? Did it happen to jump out when you opened the box?

It might be stuffed in the clothes. I was afraid to open or even touch the damn things.
For all I know there's a nice golden turd in the middle it's feasting on.

Apparently, whatever animal was being kept in that case with the dirty clothes as bedding has now chewed through steel and escaped. There's probably a killer rabbit with big sharp pointy teeth hopping around in your backyard.

Maybe this time the sh*t really did hit the fan from the looks of it. :D

Azza case + Busted Exhaust + Clothes = Leet way for China worker for sneak out of China!

Pretty clever. Case probably rattled, stuffed clothes in it to keep it from rattling. :)

hrrmmmm thats strange.... that best buy is not following policy on stuff (i work at a bestbuy)

usually when someone returns something... A. customer service is ment to check it to make sure its all there and then B. usually stuff like this infact most stuff besides Home theater stuffs ends up whats called PRC, which is gets returned to the distributor to then be sold later as refurb. Not a lot of stuff comes up open box.

when anything is returned it prints the tag automatically, open box or prc.

either way that sucks :( did the box look like it had been opened at all? (edit saw you said it didnt look open)... another thing is best buys are not supposed to have standard clear tape... only tape labeled best buy

i bet someone returned it and said they never opened it... and the lazy customer service person just said "yeah whatever"

hrrmmmm thats strange.... that best buy is not following policy on stuff (i work at a bestbuy)

usually when someone returns something... A. customer service is ment to check it to make sure its all there and then B. usually stuff like this infact most stuff besides Home theater stuffs ends up whats called PRC, which is gets returned to the distributor to then be sold later as refurb. Not a lot of stuff comes up open box.

when anything is returned it prints the tag automatically, open box or prc.

either way that sucks :( did the box look like it had been opened at all? (edit saw you said it didnt look open)... another thing is best buys are not supposed to have standard clear tape... only tape labeled best buy

i bet someone returned it and said they never opened it... and the lazy customer service person just said "yeah whatever"

Yeah, I agree. If the customer returned it saying they had opened it, this would have been caught. If the customer returned it saying it had never been opened, and re-applied tape carefully, they might not have checked inside because if they opened it to check, they'd have to sell it OB, but if they took the customers word they could sell it as new.

Yeah i'm guessing that was probably the case.
I've kinda cooled off now, i'll bring it back in the morning and see what they can do.

If they give me any grief, i'll have the perform a check on returns on that item. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt for now. The lady on the phone may not have know what to do.

lol even though I know its frustrating.

It might not have ever been returned but that could of been the result when antec shipped it to best buy for purchase. My friend sent his dad a computer through UPS...and when his dad opened the box that looked sealed....all the hdds were torn out of it and the case was left bent.

Who knows where that happened at.

After talking with three people they exchanged for a new case.

The CS rep didn't want to exchange, but the manager explained to her that this wasn't the first *rocks in the box* that they've had and more the reason why they have to check things closely.

There should be a sticky somewhere on the forum about what to do if you get something in a box that you don't expect (remember that HDD for brick trade?). If you're unlucky enough to have this happen, many times your screwed, unless you can conclusively prove you're not the one who put the - in this case, clothes - inside the box.

Good luck getting the refund!

After talking with three people they exchanged for a new case.

The CS rep didn't want to exchange, but the manager explained to her that this wasn't the first *rocks in the box* that they've had and more the reason why they have to check things closely.

You made the company replace it? Should have just taken it back to best buy they would have exchanged it no problem. This is a pretty common thing at big retail store switch the item and close it back up good. The item then gets stocked back on the shelf and can never be traced back to whoever did it.

You made the company replace it? Should have just taken it back to best buy they would have exchanged it no problem. This is a pretty common thing at big retail store switch the item and close it back up good. The item then gets stocked back on the shelf and can never be traced back to whoever did it.

It was BestBuy that replaced it.

To add insult to injury, the shirt's too ugly to wear. No silver lining here.

Good laugh for the day. All that to get an Antec 300 for free. They will probably ghetto mod it again just like the one in the box.

wow thats fucking ridiculous, whats the purpose of stuffing shirts into it, to make up for the lighted weight of metal that was cut out?

People are savages

Honestly from BB perspective, the freakin thing is 59.99. Who cares really. I dont even know who would bother to be possibly caught while returning the case in the first place with the wrong case and all the trouble for 59.99. Please... Are you THAT cheap, what possible computer are you putting in it and 59.99 is beyond your reach... Sheesh...

Glad the OP got it replaced though.

Imagine if you were the one returning that after switching it. WTF would you do if they decided to open it up right in front of you and inspect? Run? Or play dumb?

What BB was this at?

The BB I used to work at we had people doing this shit all the time.

Good ol' white trash.

They'd buy a PSU and bring us back their broken one in a box. Of course our CSRs couldn't tell the difference. :/

Did you take the clothes to the police? There could be evidence on those clothes. Was there a leather glove in there that could possibly fit OJ?

Woooow. Sad part is I could see them blaming this on you and not accepting a return/refund/replacement.

Back