Bongs - water cooler pics

DthInd

2[H]4U
Not sure if that is the correct name, but can a few people post pictures of the water cooling device that looks like a bong with the shower head thingy. I have a bet with a friend, he says they dont exist, so I feel like giving him some holiday biatch slap.

Thanks.

Happy [H]olidays

Hello Mate,
Yes, they're called bongs/bong-coolers, and are pretty old-school.

In the old days, I used an Eheim 1260, pushing a fair bit of water through a shower-head, which allowed for the water to be somewhat atomized, and there was a decent fan blowing into the water-droplets/vapor, causing a decent drop on water-temp below ambient, as evaporation is a cooling-down process.

This worked really well, other than filling up the reservoir all the time....

They do exist, but I doubt many will be using this methodology still - big/bulky, and with modern closed-loop system components in abundance, well....

Anyway, you do find these evaporative coolers in use in modern-day homes, where the cost to run them is a fraction of an airconditioner - admittedly they don't cool as well as an aircon, and don't work well in humid environments, but they are pretty cheap.

So, tell your friend he has lost his bet :)

And send me over one of the beers!!

These work great. Back in my old apartment during the Heating/AC transition, I had a large 4' version set up on my balcony. I pumped cool air through a double radiator into my main room.

The only variation I did to it, was to drill 200 random holes in the tube, and string 100 lengths of cotton rope from side to side, inside the tube. That way, the shower head would both atomize the water, and the cotton would absorb a bit of it. The evaporation rate tripled with the addition of the cotton rope, which allowed the exhaust temperature of the radiator to be around 15c on a dry day. Much cooler than my 80f room :).

Just used a cheap submerisble pump for a pond, cost about 50$ to make. I brought the bong inside in the winter to aid in adding moisture to the air as well.

wow!

that stuff is awesome...

might need to play with the concept...seems significantly more efficient!

Need to be careful of condensation and the sound of rain. Would be great outside/in another room like that guy does. :D

all of these seem fairly old now.. 2009 being the last.. I wonder if anyone is still playing with this evaporation methods... seems pretty amazing, although admittedly, probably a fair amount of upkeep work...

its actually called a drop tower or a cooling tower. In concept, a droplet of water will slightly evaporate as it falls, in addition there is a lot of surface area on a drop of water. All of these factors make a cooling tower very good at dissipating a lot of heat. Unfortunately it works better when the water is near to the boiling point for various technical reasons. The big problem with the system as it relates to CPU cooling is that when you start the system, the water will naturally get kinda funky in short order. It will collect dust in the system stuff to grow on, It will probably have an ionic charge which will cause corrosion of waterblocks and dirt will reduce the life of the pump.

I have put a pencil to some of of and have found that what might be a good way of getting sub room temperature water out of the system is to use a Peltier cooler, on one side have a loop that goes to the cooling tower, on the other go inside the system and cool the components.

Back