Bonding painted acrylic

Chipotle

Limp Gawd
Hey gang. I have seen how to paint acrylic, and how to glue the plastic together. Now I am having trouble figuring out how to glue two pieces of painted acrylic together.

I will have some panels of acrylic that will be painted black, and I just cannot see how to get them fixed in positioin, when they have paint on them. It seems that the paint would be just gluing paint to paint. I could just get acrylic in the color i want, but i would like some transparancy in places. If you have any ideas let me know.

Sand the areas that will be glued, or scrape with a razor blade? Painting after gluing probably makes even more sense though.

][nquisitor said:
Sand the areas that will be glued, or scrape with a razor blade? Painting after gluing probably makes even more sense though.

Good advice here ^^^ :D

Yep, good advice so far. The special glue you use on acrylic more or less melts the two pieces together, so if one or both have paint on them you'll find they just fall apart again as the glue has no inherent stickyness.

If it's at all possible, glue then paint. If not, then you will need to scrape away the paint in the areas to be painted. You could also possibly use paint thinners or something similar to remove the paint (mask off the areas you don't want stripped) more effectively. If you are going to do that I would suggest checking the thinners on a piece of scrap to make sure it doesn't melt it itself - I know some can.

Yeah, i think thats the only way i can go about it as far as adhesive is concerned. My problem is that if i have two pieces forming a right angle, and have no paint where the joint will be, there will be an area where the bond will be that will still be clear, and not match the rest.

So on that note, I am thinking my options for a complete black surface would be to buy an all black pice of acrylic, which is becoming a pain. Or to frankenstein it, using some sort of bolts/screws to fasten, which with some extra planning could work out well. And that would help for dissassembly, and whatnot.

Thanks for all the input.

what you could do is tape the area that is to be glued, then paint the rest, then take the tape off, and you will have a clean surface, then just glue it together and do what ever touch ups you need

Back