BlackBerry CEO Calls For App Neutrality

HardOCP News

[H] News
App neutrality? What the hell is BlackBerry's CEO smoking?

BlackBerry CEO John Chen, however, thinks this is unfair. In fact, he thinks it is so “discriminatory” that he wants legislators to widen the definition of net neutrality to include “application neutrality.” In other words, if a company makes an app for iOS and Android, they must also make a version for BlackBerry and all other operating systems.

Wouldn't that also include Tizen, WindowsPhoneOS & every insignificant OS out there? It would probably include console games too... no more platform exclusive or Windows only games. :D:D:D

Funny, I don't remember Blackberry being very neutral in the mid-2000's when they were charging thousands for a grip of BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) licenses. Fuckem. If Android had never happened and RIM/Blackberry had become as big as Android is now, they would be the gestappo if anyone tried running Blackberry apps on any other platform.

Funny, I don't remember Blackberry being very neutral in the mid-2000's when they were charging thousands for a grip of BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) licenses. Fuckem. If Android had never happened and RIM/Blackberry had become as big as Android is now, they would be the gestappo if anyone tried running Blackberry apps on any other platform.

It's amazing how the attitude of the mighty changes on the way down.

Wow... Run android on your hardware or GTFO.

I wish blackberry would huray up and fizzle out. It pains me to still have them at work. Glad I'm not responsible for them and just have to use one.

We have two separate BES systems (one for legacy and one for BBQ 10), then we have another MDM system being tested to be prepared for the eventual demise of blackberry and for tablets.

I'm very dissapointing with blackberry of late.

How about we require the blackberry OS to run IOS and android apps ?

Apples and oranges. They're not even close to the same thing.

Wow... Run android on your hardware or GTFO.

I wish blackberry would huray up and fizzle out. It pains me to still have them at work. Glad I'm not responsible for them and just have to use one.

We have two separate BES systems (one for legacy and one for BBQ 10), then we have another MDM system being tested to be prepared for the eventual demise of blackberry and for tablets.

I'm very dissapointing with blackberry of late.

They did that a few years ago. I think one problem is that there are parts of android that aren't open source so the emulator wasn't compatible with apps that were made for newer Android builds (I'm sure I'll be called out if that's factually wrong).

Personally, I think the idea is silly. There are already apps that are written for iOS and aren't ported to Android, because app developers do no believe they can make money on android. And if you're not selling an app that makes it's money from Ads, I think that's probably true. I never bought an app on Android, but I got tons of free apps. I get far fewer apps on iOS, but I've bought more of them.

If there was a language that could be compiled to any OS that was good for gaming, guis and so on, that'd be a way to implement this, but I don't ever recall a great Java based GUI and I can't imagine modern games being written in Java (never mind the security issues). Nevertheless, if we could get a platform neutral language for phone apps, that'd be a great thing for all of us, but it's not going to happen in Blackberry's life time.

27y1pom.jpg

Wow ... if you are going to be that stoned or drunk when you make your statements then you might as well go full retard and require that all software (PC, Linux, OSX, etc) along with the mobile platforms do the same thing (and of course it would be just as impossible and for the same reasons) :D

If he really wanted to put his money where his mouth is he could offer developers on BB a 10% purchase charge instead of the 30% charged by Apple and Google :cool:

Has someone told him about this thing called the internet and web browsers?

You want universal cross platform apps? Its called a webpage, web app or more recently cloud app. ta da app neutrality (unless you use a stupid activex control).

basically he doesn't want to compete by enticing programmers to support a black berry device support to cr8 apps for them rather than just only android and ios.

really pathethic really. If i was an investor and blackberry ceo said this, i would be very worried indeed.... if this is how his company strategy is to compete against the likes of google and apple...

Actually I find it discriminatory and unfair that I cant run Blackberry OS on my Galaxy S4. I mean why should I be forced to buy a Blackberry phone in order to run their OS? Blackberry needs to port their OS to every other phone hardware and then we can talk about porting every application to their OS.

At what point does your life become so full of yes men and opulence that you totally lose comprehension of reality? I don't know, but this guy crossed that line some time ago. I guess we should all wear the same clothes and drive the same cars and practice the same religion as well.

At what point does your life become so full of yes men and opulence that you totally lose comprehension of reality? I don't know, but this guy crossed that line some time ago. I guess we should all wear the same clothes and drive the same cars and practice the same religion as well.

The year was 2081, and everybody was finally equal. They weren't only equal before God and the law. They were equal every which way. Nobody was smarter than anybody else. Nobody was better looking than anybody else. Nobody was stronger or quicker than anybody else. All this equality was due to the 211th, 212th, and 213th Amendments to the Constitution, and to the unceasing vigilance of agents of the United States Handicapper General. - Harrison Bergeron

:D

... or Blackberry could just surrender and make Android phones with keyboards. There's a huge niche there to fill.

Hilarious...but it does point out precisely why "net neutrality" rules/laws from the government would wind up horrifically bad with tons of unforeseen negative consequences: 'net neutrality' means different things to different people, and depending on who you ask, you'll get a different definition.

We need to leave well-enough alone, obviously. Attempts to "fix" that which is not broken will, of course, break it...;) Ironic, but true.

Back