Bigger Brain = More Facebook Friends

HardOCP News

[H] News
The more Facebook friends you have, the bigger some parts of your brain are? Quick, before anyone finds out our brains have inadequate parts, let's all friend each other! This no doubt also explains Zuckerberg's misshapen melon. :)

Scientists funded by the Wellcome Trust have found a direct link between the number of 'Facebook friends' a person has and the size of particular brain regions. In a study published today, researchers at University College London (UCL) also showed that the more Facebook friends a person has, the more 'real-world' friends they are likely to have.

Scientists funded by the Wellcome Trust have found a direct link between the number of 'Facebook friends' a person has and the size of particular brain regions.
They're called tumors.

Yeah, but what if all my friends on FB are fictional characters (cartoon, movie, TV show, etc?)
:D

I know some people with over 600 friends. Their brains might be bigger but they don't work very well.

I know some people with over 600 friends. Their brains might be bigger but they don't work very well.

+1. I have maybe 300 and don't know how that even happened, I know people who have over 2000 but are completely stupid. To put into perspective how stupid they are, one of them uploaded a picture of themselves with a real blunt(yes real, not fake). In school they aren't too bright either.

A big brain didn't help Bret not get shot.

Check out the big brain on Brett..

I think these scientists need to look at their study again though. Most people with that many friends on FB, and I'm talking like 1K+, are usually of pretty below average intelligence - at least from my observations when I used that horrible site back in the day.

Besides, how the hell does one manage to actively keep in touch with over 100+ people anyway? Isn't the average social circle like 5-10 people?

I think these scientists need to look at their study again though. Most people with that many friends on FB, and I'm talking like 1K+, are usually of pretty below average intelligence - at least from my observations when I used that horrible site back in the day.

Besides, how the hell does one manage to actively keep in touch with over 100+ people anyway? Isn't the average social circle like 5-10 people?

Exactly. I have maybe 100 ish friends and only regularly speak with about a dozen of them. The rest are acquaintances and old school buddies I rarely see or talk to anymore. Heck the only reason I still have an account I almost never use is too get dates and places of events and the like. If it weren't for that useful function I would have deleted my account a long time ago. Oh and it is handy for keeping in touch with family that reside in distant parts of the country.

I find the same thing, the ones with the most friends tend to be the stupider of the lot, just generally dumb as bricks and lack common sense

I have zero Facebook friends because I am not dumb enough to waste fucking time on Facebook and put my real life out on the internet for every dickweed to find like corporation bosses.

They aren't saying the more friends you have the smarter you are. The only evidence for that is the stupidity of some of the post above mine.

Entire brain size does not = "the size of particular brain regions"

This (directly from the ocp post) only mentions a piece of the brain, not the entire thing.

Everyone knows the more "friends" you have on FB, than the more the "gossip" piece of your brain is. This is because it takes over the educated parts of the brain, and develops more of a follower and gabber part to replace the educated pieces, which quickly becoming missing

Biggest Brain = No Facebook Account

Seriously. The amount of personal stuff people throw out there without even caring. Even from people to claim to be intelligent technology-savvy power users.

People just don't get it. Even seemingly harmless stuff can be used against you. No one on the Internet is entirely anonymous, but there's a huge difference between your info being out there somewhere for someone intelligent enough to dig for it, and broadcasting it all over Facebook and other social sites.

Telling several hundred people the ins and outs of your daily life is obviously something you shouldn't do. Especially if you're someone who cares about having or finding a job. Someone can search for all sorts of reasons to throw your application out.

Biggest Brain = No Facebook Account

Seriously. The amount of personal stuff people throw out there without even caring. Even from people to claim to be intelligent technology-savvy power users.

People just don't get it. Even seemingly harmless stuff can be used against you. No one on the Internet is entirely anonymous, but there's a huge difference between your info being out there somewhere for someone intelligent enough to dig for it, and broadcasting it all over Facebook and other social sites.

Telling several hundred people the ins and outs of your daily life is obviously something you shouldn't do. Especially if you're someone who cares about having or finding a job. Someone can search for all sorts of reasons to throw your application out.

QFT. The mainstream media (even local news just said it! :rolleyes: ) is touting this as something it is not....... all so the sheeple feel like they are being good and not being wasteful with their constant worthless updates? I don't get it.

and to make it even most laughable, and most false, they (the people who did this "research") say this in the VERY FIRST SENTENCE of their "article" on this:

The researchers are keen to stress that they have found a correlation and not a cause, however: in other words, it is not possible from the data to say whether having more Facebook friends makes the regions of the brain larger or whether some people are 'hardwired' to have more friends.

/endthread

I know someone with over 900 friends, yet he's a fracking genius, and when I say fracking genius, I say it based on the things he has done, is able to do, and thinking capabilities. He has a high IQ too (forgot what number tho).

I love all the "I'm too smart to have a FB account" comments. You don't have to put ANY personal info on you FB page. These comments are from people that want to look cool in front of others. Chances are, they have an FB account and are just lying.

I love all the "I'm too smart to have a FB account" comments. You don't have to put ANY personal info on you FB page. These comments are from people that want to look cool in front of others. Chances are, they have an FB account and are just lying.

You seem mad.

This thread deserves a lock for being way out in left field and totally not realistic..... surpassing even Fox News' typical nonsense and uneducated reports

Here is a much better read, which I am surprised did not make the news here:

"Researchers at MIT’s Lincoln Lab have developed new radar technology that provides real-time video of what’s going on behind solid walls."
http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/ll-seeing-through-walls-1018.html

I have over 500 friends on one account, and I know just one of them in real life.

What part of your brain mistakenly lets you believe that having thousands of "friends" on facebook is something other than an embarrasing cry for attention and validation?

Obliviously they excluded those that played farmville and mafia wars.

some mafia wars players have 5000 friends and no intelligence as they play 24x7.

What about politicians? We all know they are braindead and have lots of "friends"

I think this is a better correlation study involving facebook friends...

Facebook Users With Lots of Friends More Likely To Be Narcissists

+1

I have LOTS of real life friends, and don't have time to facebook that much.

The study is flawed because it studied college students only. What about post college people? Are you saying a business owner has a bigger brain because he was 10,000 followers on his page?

...researchers at University College London (UCL) also showed that the more Facebook friends a person has, the more 'real-world' friends they are likely to have.

Whatever they're paying these guys, it isn't enough!

I think this is a better correlation study involving facebook friends...

Facebook Users With Lots of Friends More Likely To Be Narcissists
We just never thought an inflated ego was literal.
Everyone knows the more "friends" you have on FB, than the more the "gossip" piece of your brain is. This is because it takes over the educated parts of the brain, and develops more of a follower and gabber part to replace the educated pieces, which quickly becoming missing
SCIENCE

Everyone knows statements starting with "everybody knows" are almost always incorrect, because even if the statement itself is true, it is probable that there is at least one person in the world who is not aware of it.

Everyone knows, huh? Perhaps you can point out the gossip region of the brain on a chart for me.

Back