BFG 7800GTX OC 256MB same fan speed in 2D and 3D

0ptional

Don't Trust Your Friends with Your Decanter
This is a freshly RMA'd card and it comes with the newer revision of the heatsink. The fan does NOT change speed no matter what mode it is.

My shuttle PC was very quiet with the old revision of the card; but it decided to bite the dust on me, and this new card is fresh from BFG and is way too loud...

If this is an issue I can't fix I'll be selling this card and looking for something that's passively cooled or at least relatively quiet or at least CHANGES fan speed in 2D vs 3D mode.

RivaTuner has no effect and I want to change the BIOS around but I've got no Floppy disk's to try; I'll be trying to flash that later today, what would you guys try? 80% 50% 20% Fan speed in 2D? It's Idling at 44C but it's still at 100% fan speed. I know it's 100% because no matter what I throw at it, the speed does not change at all.

Very annoying. What does BFG have to offer in the 8600GT line? Are those cards pretty quiet?

Try a fresh Nvidia driver install, it should automatically adjust fan speed. I have the same card, but mine has an aftermarket cooler on it.

Try a fresh Nvidia driver install, it should automatically adjust fan speed. I have the same card, but mine has an aftermarket cooler on it.

Been there, done that like 9 times... cleaned out all the nvidia registry values and all the extra folders...

Been there, done that like 9 times... cleaned out all the nvidia registry values and all the extra folders...

So today I called BFG again, and they walked me through cleaning my drivers and stuff (which I've done before) and had me install the official ones from the nVidia site (which I was running) and he told me that this behavior was not correct, that it should throttle down in 2D mode and so he set me up for an RMA and I'll just go through with it and see what happens. I can live on the Intel GMA until then, it does Aero and FFXI and everything else I need until this card comes back... again.

Back