BF3 ATIKMDAG crashes

crawlgsx

[H]ard|Gawd
Just started trying to play BF3 (launched 33 minutes ago for me) and have already had 4 BSOD ATIKMDAG crashes.

Just curious if anyone else is having a problem with this. Have been playing Rage and a few others with no issues. Obviously rage didn't take advantage of crossfire.

Any oc on your cards? Try reinstalling to latest 11.10 drivers with newest CAP?

If it comes down to it you can also try flashing your GPU BIOS. I had that problem on an old 5870 and that was the only way to fix it. It happened to me on Bad Company 2.

Also, glancing at your sig, are your 6950s flashed full 6970 bios or just shader unlock? That has caused issues for others, although you say you've had no problems with other games?

I am flashed to 6970, I may try going back to 6950's, but yeah other games were working fine.

I shut off Crossfire and haven't had a single crash.

I think BF3 might be the first game I have played with Crossfire that was really demanding. I am wondering if I am overloading my PSU. 950w Coolmax. 2 6970's (unlocked 6950s), 4 velociraptors, 1 ssd, 1 wd 7200rpm 1.5tb hdd, bunch of fans.

Does it seem possible?

Both 6970's without crossfire do not bluescreen it is only if I run Xfire.

Tried with and without cap. Did a fresh driver sweeper/install without cap and I made it a few maps without lock but it still happened.

Well yesterday my Velociraid died, I took the opportunity to pull all 4 of them out of my case and clean it out/up. I don't know if it was the power savings, odd luck, what but now my Crossfire is working in BF3 without crashing.

I think BF3 might be the first game I have played with Crossfire that was really demanding. I am wondering if I am overloading my PSU. 950w Coolmax. 2 6970's (unlocked 6950s), 4 velociraptors, 1 ssd, 1 wd 7200rpm 1.5tb hdd, bunch of fans.

Does it seem possible?

Both 6970's without crossfire do not bluescreen it is only if I run Xfire.

Depends how close to actually 950W that unit is. Two 6970s and a 4.6Ghz 2600K will be about 700W max full load. No problem for a proper 950W unit, but for a coolmax I couldn't say.

Depends how close to actually 950W that unit is. Two 6970s and a 4.6Ghz 2600K will be about 700W max full load. No problem for a proper 950W unit, but for a coolmax I couldn't say.

That was my thought. I think part of the real problem with the Coolmax might eb the amount of power it can provide on those 2 connectors. It only has 2 GPU Cables which Y at the end into 2 each. So those 2 cables provide all the power for both cards, wondering if that rail isn't cutting it?

That's certainly a possibility, using internal splitters for the PCIe connectors seems like bad practice. Maybe step up to a higher-end unit like a Corsair AX850 or Seasonic X-850.

Back