Better to get more gb of ram or faster speed?

-iLLuZioN-B18C1

Limp Gawd
I was debating on the 2 situations:

2x2 gb ddr3 cl7 of 1600 ram
vs
2x4 gb ddr3 cl9 of 1333 ram

Which would be best for the SB and why? If it matters, I plan on doing a lot of video encoding.

2x4 8GB is a sweet spot, because if you plan to add more memory later on you can go up to 16gb by adding another pair...

For SB get LOW voltage ram 1.5V and below if possible... I would recommend getting 1600, but you wont notice a day and night difference between the 1333 vs 1600 (considering the price difference)

Also will you be overclocking u your RAM and Processor?

Moar!

I'm of the belief that the only place you'll notice a difference in RAM speed is on benchmarks.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

2x4 8GB is a sweet spot, because if you plan to add more memory later on you can go up to 16gb by adding another pair...

For SB get LOW voltage ram 1.5V and below if possible... I would recommend getting 1600, but you wont notice a day and night difference between the 1333 vs 1600 (considering the price difference)

Also will you be overclocking u your RAM and Processor?

Yes I plan on oc'ing it. More than likely the 2600k. I'm just on a budget so I didn't want to go crazy and wasn't sure if more ram was better or speed (assuming a comparable price point)

Also, does cl7 vs cl9 make a noticeable difference given the same amount of ram at the same speed?

Last, what does low voltage do for the ram?

Get the 1600, run it at 1600 and lower the timings to 7's-8's.

Run memtest overnight. Should be fine, but if there are errors then bump memory volts by .5, run it again and you should be good to go.

Keep mem volts under 1.55.

Back