Better 290x card/cooler? Saph Tri-X or XFX Double-Disp?

if buying for yourself, i don't think you have long to wait for new cards coming out....but the tri-x is better built card...warranty wise xfx... ideally know body needs to use the warranty but shit happens

Tri-X is way sexier card. XFX lifetime warranty. What's important to you, both will perform the same. For me the XFX card as the Tri-X is to big for my case.

Good deal for the free 8GB memory.

Card vs. card the Tri-X is a bit better. Warranty and SUPPORT XFX is miles ahead though.

They also have 290x on sale though today only:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...STMATCH&Description=100361-4L&N=-1&isNodeId=1

SAPPHIRE 100361-4L Radeon R9 290X 4GB 512-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 Tri-X OC(UEFI) Video Card, New Edition + Free Game: Dirt Rally w/ purchase = $280 AR

The 290x has 2816 vs 2560 stream processors, along with a bit higher core/memory clocks.

In my experience, tri-cooler cards always run cooler/quieter than dual-cooler cards, if you can actually fit them. And this seems to be no exception: https://youtu.be/ny2xtrT4AiU?t=7m14s

With earlier in the video he also points out how the cooler on the Tri-X has better fitment, since the double is wider and so stuck down a bit and also stuck out by the power connectors making them difficult to access. Remember, even the worst coolers can keep your card cool, but the question is if you have nice slow spinning fans, or are your fans going to really ramp up into hyperdrive where you can hear them and it gets a bit annoying.

OP - both your links are to 290's not 290X. i went with xfx for warranty and the card is not too bad with noise, set up afterburner profile to make fans get to 100% faster for lower VRM temps. In the end 3 fans would be better but xfx does a good enough job IMO

Tri-X is way sexier card. XFX lifetime warranty. What's important to you, both will perform the same. For me the XFX card as the Tri-X is to big for my case.

Good deal for the free 8GB memory.

Card vs. card the Tri-X is a bit better. Warranty and SUPPORT XFX is miles ahead though.

I'll never buy another Sapphire card expecting support again. I'd go XFX just for that reason.

I have a 290x Tri-x and while it runs ok it will not OC at all. I get all sorts of graphical errors when changing the clock on either the gpu or ram. I have also noticed that it is progressively running hotter and hotter. I would like to replace the TIM on the card but the Warranty doesn't allow for removing the cooler for any reason. If I get another AMD card it will be XFX just for the warranty alone.

Isn't the Tri-X already overclocked? Hmmm, I hope i don't need warranty support, as that sounds like a PITA with the long turnaround time.

Unfortunately, I have heard bad stories for all the vendors, including XFX.

Isn't the Tri-X already overclocked? Hmmm, I hope i don't need warranty support, as that sounds like a PITA with the long turnaround time.

Unfortunately, I have heard bad stories for all the vendors, including XFX.

Yeah it's OC'd a whole 20mhz. The 290x isn't the best OC'er ever but the fact that I can't change my clock speed in any way without getting errors is worrisome to me.

DD for space.

I had to try three cases for the Tri-x because of the tip of the shroud.(11.61" x 5.63" vs 12.01" x 4.45" the shroud makes it longer)

Tri-x for cooling.
Like wrangler said 3>2. Also the case of the Tri X is open all around so you can always point more fans at it.

Last edited:
Back