Best racing game with a wheel

Aaron11

[H]ard|Gawd
I just recently got a racing wheel for my PC. What is a good racing game that works well with the wheel and has decent online? Looking to buy one but I'm looking for something more recent. I already have Toca 3 so I'm looking for something more recent.

GTR Series (GTR, GTR2, GTR: Evo)
Live For Speed
iRacing
rfactor
Richard Burns Rally
ARCA Sim Racing
the pathetic Truck Simulators hehe

Dirt 2
NFS Shift
Grid
NFS Hot Pursuit @ Nov 2010

Bunch of us here play Race 07/GTR Evo regularly together. There is a good steam deal on both titles as well. videogameracing.com/racedepartment.com/nogripracing.com are pretty good communities for organized racing and mod/track DLS for most of the aforementioned games as well. There is also rFactor to check out. Richard Burns Rally is as good as it gets for Rallying. Plus there is a french modding group that continually updates the game with current WRC season/cars and created multiplayer competitions with it through RBRCenter.

Ima iRacing regular as well, but i wouldnt recommend it until you decide you are fairly serious about sim racing.

I used to recommend LFS off the bat, but i dont anymore. Community has gone to shit, everyone wants to just play on cruising servers(which is a mod where you just drive around and not race). Populations are way down from a couple years ago as well. Most of the sim communities dont organize or list LFS as a supported event/league anymore. Doesnt mean its a bad game, as it does sport great physics and good racing, but with the slimming of their community its definitely not on my regular playlist anymore.

Last edited:
I used to recommend LFS off the bat, but i dont anymore. Community has gone to shit, everyone wants to just play on cruising servers(which is a mod where you just drive around and not race). Populations are way down from a couple years ago as well. Most of the sim communities dont organize or list LFS as a supported event/league anymore. Doesnt mean its a bad game, as it does sport great physics and good racing, but with the slimming of their community its definitely not on my regular playlist anymore.

This is a real shame. :( It's to be expected though, the devs pretty much abandoned the game years ago aside from some very minor updates that didn't really add up to anything.

GTR Series (GTR, GTR2, GTR: Evo)
Live For Speed
iRacing
rfactor
Richard Burns Rally
ARCA Sim Racing
the pathetic Truck Simulators hehe

Dirt 2
NFS Shift
Grid
NFS Hot Pursuit @ Nov 2010
Grid? Really? I heard it has lackluster wheel support. I completely forgot about NFS: Hot Pursuit. I'll look at that one when it comes out. I've tried GTR Evo and Race 07 and liked it a lot. I think I'll go ahead and buy those to for $30.

The wheel isn't just for racing. If you really want to enjoy your wheel without the adrenaline, i'd recommend Test Drive Unlimited.

The wheel isn't just for racing. If you really want to enjoy your wheel without the adrenaline, i'd recommend Test Drive Unlimited.

I have mixed feelings on that.

TDU's my favorite for racing games. I've played the game from start to finish something like eight times now. Since that takes a minimum of 30 hours to accomplish, I've obviously spent some good time on the game.

But the real reason I've played it start to finish so many times?

Because although it's absolutely a ton o' fun to play, just driving around with no purpose is more boring than watching paint dry. I've actually archived a gamesave where I've already found all the roads (but no other accomplishments, exception being the first mandatory race before you're free to do anything you like), so I never have to be bothered driving around almost pointlessly for no reason.

But if you want to race SP in TDU, it's an absolute f-ing blast! AI is bad, so just make your goal to lap 'em if you want a slight challenge (although that ends up not being a challenge either once you're used to the game). But time trials are great fun.

Best $7 I've ever spent on a game ever... And to think it took me another four months after I bought it to finally install it and try it... Biggest gaming procrastination regret for me so far!

I have mixed feelings on that.

TDU's my favorite for racing games. I've played the game from start to finish something like eight times now. Since that takes a minimum of 30 hours to accomplish, I've obviously spent some good time on the game.

But the real reason I've played it start to finish so many times?

Because although it's absolutely a ton o' fun to play, just driving around with no purpose is more boring than watching paint dry. I've actually archived a gamesave where I've already found all the roads (but no other accomplishments, exception being the first mandatory race before you're free to do anything you like), so I never have to be bothered driving around almost pointlessly for no reason.

But if you want to race SP in TDU, it's an absolute f-ing blast! AI is bad, so just make your goal to lap 'em if you want a slight challenge (although that ends up not being a challenge either once you're used to the game). But time trials are great fun.

Best $7 I've ever spent on a game ever... And to think it took me another four months after I bought it to finally install it and try it... Biggest gaming procrastination regret for me so far!

Actually, i prefer the mission types. The best way to get a perfect 100% is to calm down and not drive like a maniac :)

PS: Eagerly awaiting Test Drive Unlimited 2 :D

If Racer is good enough for a real F1 team, it must be very good; it's also free! The slashdot article that links to that story also mentions rFactor and iRacing.

The problem with racer is that its geared toward engineers more than sim racers. While it is a sim, there is really no online community for it. But, there is masssssive amounts of things you can do for track building and creating your own cars from scratch. Hence the reason F1 Simulations. Its fun to mess around with for a bit, but unless you are really into the bits and pieces its probably something to skip over.

Grid? Really? I heard it has lackluster wheel support. I completely forgot about NFS: Hot Pursuit. I'll look at that one when it comes out. I've tried GTR Evo and Race 07 and liked it a lot. I think I'll go ahead and buy those to for $30.

GRiD is horrific with a wheel. Skip it. DiRT 2 is awesome with a wheel.
If you get GTR Evo and Race 07, keep an eye out for the race night threads in general gaming. We will post links if there is any custom track/mod needed. and we have 2 dedicated racing servers.

Back