Best performing trouble free solution?

///AMG

2[H]4U
So I've had my 290s since November and I havent really been able to use all the performance that it should have since the only game to even use it was BF4 and I have had nothing but problems with my CF 290s. I am looking for a different solution that I wont have problems with but is similar in performance well when they work anyways. Budget is $700ish since I dont want to spend much more after I sell my 290s.

I was thinking the only real choice is the 780Ti? Maybe a 290X with custom cooling?

I'd pretty much say that at that tier, a 780Ti or 290x are pretty much what is (reasonably) available for both price and performance. Are the problems you're having with CF 290s (are these reference cooling or something special?) seem to be heat/cooling related? The sad truth of the matter is that using any sort of multi-GPU solution can introduce more variables and issues, Nvidia or AMD. For some people and some games they work fine, for others there are more difficulties etc... If you don't need the power of multiple GPUs, going for a single high end GPU may be a good idea.

I'd personally go for the custom-cooled variants, no matter what. For Nvidia, the 780Ti by EVGA (Classified/Kingpin etc.) seems to be a popular high end choice, while Asus ROG Matrix is well regarded. I personally prefer the 290x. I bought the Asus DirectCU II version and got it for a great price when the prices for everything skyrocketed, but if I was buying today I'd also consider the Asus ROG Matrix 290x, as well as the MSI Lightning, which seem to both be well regarded cooling solutions. I'd personally lean to AMD for a number of reasons, including price (I saw an open box Asus DirectCU II for 443 or something like that!), and so long as you are set with one of the high performance and custom cooling variants, you can get a significant amount of OC room out of the card. Hope this helps

I have the ref 290s as only ref was available when I bought it. Cooling is one of the problems, sometimes when I play league my 290s wont run higher than 25% fan speed then it will start artifacting and I will have to use something like MSI afterburner to set the fan speed myself. Also just general issues with a few games that dont work at all in CF.

I have the ref 290s as only ref was available when I bought it. Cooling is one of the problems, sometimes when I play league my 290s wont run higher than 25% fan speed then it will start artifacting and I will have to use something like MSI afterburner to set the fan speed myself. Also just general issues with a few games that don't work at all in CF.
afterburner fan speed curve is easily set...been doing it for last 6 years at least...no trouble after that...this applies to all card produced in last several years....kinda I'm surprised you weren't already doing this;) I'm not aware of any card that functions correctly without it is why im surprised

afterburner fan speed curve is easily set...been doing it for last 6 years at least...no trouble after that...this applies to all card produced in last several years....kinda I'm surprised you weren't already doing this;) I'm not aware of any card that functions correctly without it is why im surprised

Yea but having to load it every time is kind of annoying I guess. But I end up not using CF anyways because it either doesnt add performance to the games I am playing or doesnt work and just adds more heat and power draw. I'd rather just get a single card that just works. Considering going for a 780Ti or Titan even though the price is high for a single card but I am hearing less and less problems about them than the 290s.

Back